I am so tired of eating at home.....

HouseDoc

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I get a kick out of everyone who has never developed the ability to cook a meal at home. It is times like these that makes my family appreciate the grill skills I have. What's for dinner tonight at you house?

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_172852411.jpg
    IMG_20200401_172852411.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 387
Those people that live out of a box or can this must be a ordeal indeed.
Ed

While I enjoy going out from a social aspect and sometimes it's nice to just let someone else do the cooking, I find myself having a hard time paying $$$ for something I can make at home and better.

Although I appreciate all the food vendors trying to switch their sales model to accommodate curbside pickup or "contactless delivery" to do what it takes to make it through, I'm personally more concerned about the people touching my food while they make it or box it up than someone sitting halfway across the restaurant and for that reason I haven't bought prepared food at all in several weeks.

The last time I ate out, the table I sat at was in view of the prep line where the person responsible for finishing the plating was touching their face and then the food and I was like ehhhhh I'm good on all this. The only hygiene I can control is my own so...

Great looking plate We dont eat out much Do take out sometimes and have delivered

My favorite Chinese buffet closed. So did my favorite Mexican restaurant. My favorite breakfast place and the best burger joint all closed. Thank goodness I'm a damn good cook.

We have made great use of all of the large cuts of meat being the only thing at the store. I remain impressed at my wife's ability to crank out unique meals from cuts coming off the cooker. I live in a remote location so we have been ordering wings from our local pub once a week just to try to keep some money flowing their way.

Not a big Go-Out-To-Eater, but like Adams mentioned, knowing we can't really sucks.

No pics but I made a batch of chili Verde.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not sure what's for dinner tonight. Last night was fajitas made from thin sliced, grilled beef tenderloin and grilled green peppers.

And I just dug a pork belly out of the deep freeze to make green chile bacon.

I ran a couple of slabs of Baby Backs through the UDS Sunday... Last night I smoke chicken drumsticks...
I'm still classed as "Essential" by being a Life Safety Engineer, and since we are an extremely small company (12 employees) we don't have the infrastructure to do remote (work from home) work... also, since we work for clients nationwide, several of our NDA's specifically state that projects will not leave the office (legalese) - So I go to work each day, hang out in my office with the doors closed, our building is locked so no one can get in, and plug away at projects-
But it's still amazing what you can churn out in a couple of hours time on a smoker, ribs were a bit less than two hours, had bacon wrapped asparagus with them that was smoked too... chicken legs were about 90 minutes... of course add about 30 minutes to get the fire going, temps balanced and TBS running right, but still, eating by 7:30pm or 8:00pm works for us...

While I enjoy going out from a social aspect and sometimes it's nice to just let someone else do the cooking, I find myself having a hard time paying $$$ for something I can make at home and better.

Although I appreciate all the food vendors trying to switch their sales model to accommodate curbside pickup or "contactless delivery" to do what it takes to make it through, I'm personally more concerned about the people touching my food while they make it or box it up than someone sitting halfway across the restaurant and for that reason I haven't bought prepared food at all in several weeks.

The last time I ate out, the table I sat at was in view of the prep line where the person responsible for finishing the plating was touching their face and then the food and I was like ehhhhh I'm good on all this. The only hygiene I can control is my own so...

This.... we've supported a few in town, but not much over the last 3 weeks mainly due to the exposure risk. I feel really bad for these small businesses, I really do. But, it's tough to put the family at risk by venturing out, especially where I am in NJ with close proximity to NYC. I also have a freezer full of great food that's already paid for that I know how to cook well, which helps. It's a good time to clean it out.

We're much like many of you above in the fact that we think we can generally cook better food at home and don't have to pay someone else for it. That said, those dishes/cuisines that are a bit out of reach are a perfect example of what we DO grab to-go.

We typically hit up the newer local pho joint in town, as I can't beat their pho or their vermicelli with BBQ'd pork and egg rolls.

Having our favorites close down in years past only drove us to experiment and learn how to make those dishes no longer commercially available. TanTanMen from our favorite joint (now closed) on Hwy 58 on Okinawa is a great example.

Lately, we've been trying to dive deeper into Latin cooking with much of the Mexican influence here in the SouthWest. I think we're probably going to try some Carne Adovada to satisfy a serious hankerin' we've had thanks to a joint over in ABQ (Tia Betty Blue's).

Best to you all, and keep the food adventures rolling along!

I prefer my wife's cooking to eating out. Got a freezer full of vacuum sealed food...I'm set.
Only thing we ordered out was pizza.

I'm a working man, now working from home. For years I have eaten out every day. A snack at lunch time then stop at one of 3 of my favorite restaurants on the way home from work. Sit at the bar, watch whatever game is on the tube, meet friends, have a couple glasses of wine then eat. That's been my routine for many years. It's all changed now. And it sucks.

I can cook, but it takes time that I don't have. My brother lives with me and he's a crappy cook. He survives on hot pockets, frozen sausage sandwiches, and Pop Eye's takeout.

I've been doing big pots of soups and crock pot stuff that takes little prep time and makes enough for a few days. My favorite Hungry Man TV dinners are always out of stock at the stores.

When it finally warms up around here I'll take the covers off my grills and at least be able to do burgers and dogs again. Can't wait to smoke a meatloaf.

Today is my son's 35th birthday and I can't take him out for dinner. This sucks.

I'm a working man, now working from home. For years I have eaten out every day. A snack at lunch time then stop at one of 3 of my favorite restaurants on the way home from work. Sit at the bar, watch whatever game is on the tube, meet friends, have a couple glasses of wine then eat. That's been my routine for many years. It's all changed now. And it sucks.

I can cook, but it takes time that I don't have. My brother lives with me and he's a crappy cook. He survives on hot pockets, frozen sausage sandwiches, and Pop Eye's takeout.

I've been doing big pots of soups and crock pot stuff that takes little prep time and makes enough for a few days. My favorite Hungry Man TV dinners are always out of stock at the stores.

When it finally warms up around here I'll take the covers off my grills and at least be able to do burgers and dogs again. Can't wait to smoke a meatloaf.

Today is my son's 35th birthday and I can't take him out for dinner. This sucks.

Sounds like that meatloaf is in order today!

We only eat out at a few places..local Mexican joint, sometimes an Italian joint, and then something like Cava. Most everything else I prefer to cook at home as mine is better than what I’m paying for it seems. The days of going to the bars and hanging out eating and drinking are past me, so I’m ok with eating in every day and night now with the wife and kids. We have 3 freezers and 2 fridges full of food and a large pantry so we are good for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My son went through culinary school last year and had been working at a fancy restaurant with a bunch of fancy chefs until covid hit. Now he's doing 90% of the cooking at home and it's been great. We do takeout from our beloved local joints a couple times a week to send some $$ their way.

Back