45lbs of brisket hangin in a UDS!

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
hooked 'em about midway, hope they hang on.

Attachments

• hanginmeat.jpg
    hanginmeat.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 222
Holy farking chit!!
That's what I call cow on a high wire. You best keep us up to date with this adventure.

I am hoping this works. I have been kinda fightin the temps in the past. I think I am just gonna let her run where she wants. I have 5 butts on this <<<< UDS and three more on the offset. I dont think I could squeeze a farkin hotdog on any of em.

You are the man. Let us know how it turns out.

That's wild stuff. I can't wait to see how that turns out. What's going to happen when it "tenders" up?

That's wild stuff. I can't wait to see how that turns out. What's going to happen when it "tenders" up?

:lol::lol: beats hell outta me!! They are hooked in there pretty good, I dont think it will pull out. **scratches head** well I hope it doesnt.

I don't know what is more interesting, Briskets hanging on hooks or a front load uds.:shock:

The front load is only on the extension. Overall I would guess it to be a little over 5 feet tall. I had to load these bad boys from the top with the assistance of a step stool. Right now I have a water pan setting on the grate. I did notice when I hung them I am gonna have to get some stiffer rod. I am thinking this setup is begging for a rotisserie

I made an extension ring from the center of a drum and slipped it into one of my 38" drums and felt it was too tall for me to work with and I'm 6' 2". Do you have any grates in the ring or is it just for hanging meats? Looks like your having fun!

I have it set up to add a grate on the lower part. I might add one more but I think I will just use it for hanging stuff. My FIL hangs everything from brisket to ribs in his smoker. Gonna check the water pan in a few, might be time for some new pics. I am about three hours into it right now.

about 3 1/2 hrs into it and still hangin "tuff"

I think I am lookin at a mighty tender one right there in the front...

Attachments

• hangin3hours.jpg
    hangin3hours.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 189
Can I see a pic of the whole pit? How much fuel you start with and what kinda burn time will you get and what temp does it run at?
I'm really interested in these units.

Bob, I dont have a pic of the whole setup. for the most part what ai did was cut the bottom third from a drum right at the flare. this part will slide down over the drum in my avatar <<< I have three bolts in the extension to act as stops. Two rods are installed about 2 inches across the top to hold the hangers.

here is one pic I do have from early on
extension.jpg

maybe this will give you some idea.

also here is a pic of the basket. It is made from half inch expanded metal welded around a charcoal grate from an 18 1/2 in weber. the grate is approx 2 1/2 in from the bottom to allow for airflow.
firebasket.jpg

burn times vary. I usually fill the basket with lump and several fist size chunks of wood, tonight it is apple. I would say 12 to 14 hrs is pretty easy.

hope that answers a few questions.

Milehigh, I havent checked the temps yet. If it is getting close already I am in trouble.

You must be on edge waiting for that front one to fall off. Man I would be so nervous if I were you. If the FIL does it then good luck to you. I have hanging racks in some of my cookers I am too scared to use.

I figure it's a "no guts no glory" kinda thing. Actually it wont have far to fall, I have the grate it. :biggrin:

Butt are setting in the 160's and the briskets are runnin about the same.

One thing I do know for sure is I am going to have to have a bigger basket for the extension. A full load only lasted about 4-5 hours. Luckily I have a hinged grate but it still wasnt fun adding fuel to the fire while trying to dodge all that swingin meat and hot metal. I am thinking I may need a fuel door.

Back