Insulated Smoker...Which one?

Big Poppa

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Im ready now to add another smoker...I have a problem I admit it....

I want to hear opinions on which one I should buy....thanks a bunch

Tell me why you like yours and I think the consensus will prevail

If you want to come up to the OC, you can take a look at my Spicewine.

Stumps!

My Stump's GF223 ROCKS! Its fully insulated with 1400° insulation, will run on 10 pounds of lump for nearly 21 hours at 225 on an average day, and with a Stoker (or Guru) will allow you to set it and forget it! It will do that without the Stoker, but it is just more peace of mind when you have one!

I've been thinking of getting a Spicewine for consistent cooking temps when it gets cold (I like the colors too..). What do like best about them?:p

I love my Backwoods Party. I haven't used the others but I know they are all very good. What size are you looking for? Is it for the backyard, comps or both?

I love my Backwoods Party too.

Seems the judges at Memphis in May like the way Backwoods makes BBQ too. :-D (seems a good number of folks, included Grand Champ, got calls at MIM used BWS).

The three major players in this seem to be:
Backwoods
Spicewine
Stumps

The Backwoods and Spicewine are very similar in set up and operation - water smoker with fire directly under the smoke chamber. The Stumps is a bit different with the gravity shoot and fire below and off to the side of the smoke chamber - its hotter on the bottom. The BWS is hotter on top and I'd guess the Spicewine would be also.

I'm on my second Backwoods. Started with a Party and upgraded to a Competitor. I really like my BWS, but I don't think you'd be unhappy with either of the three.

You'll be happy with what you get. Unless you get a review from someone with multiple cookers, reviews are always biased. Call the builders and ask questions and then look for customer service reviews. Everyone loves the cookers they have. I know I talk up BGE over Primo, cause I have 3 eggs.

They all look close to the same to me. I know a couple of Brethren locally that do well competing with 2 different units. One cooks on a Spicewine and the other a Stumps.

not comp but for serious cooking....I have primo xl pellet cookers and a magnum bds....I also kind of like the fec 100 but it is expensive......keep em coming thanks!

Look at "Superior Smokers". (www.superiorsmokers.com)
The Superior Smoker and the Stumps have the same type 'basic' design, (Continuous Feed Charcoal) (Can't say "gravity feed", Viking has that trademarked) but there are some notable design differences. :wink:

i have an electric, insulated , stainless steel by masterbuilt. I like it because it will produce smoke as low as 100 degrees. use it mostly for sausages so far. Look at cabela's site if interested.

Stumps 222p here. One cooking machine, rock solid temps with or without air assist, and NO water pan needed. Check them out. Pat

My vote goes to Spicewine..

As a former owner, I can speak positively for it's performance, quality and appearance. Produced excellent results in both competition and personal useage. Plus the owner is a stand up guy and that speaks volumes for me.

I've been thinking of getting a Spicewine for consistent cooking temps when it gets cold (I like the colors too..). What do like best about them?:p

Not much worry about the cold here in So Cal (lol)...

For me, it's the consistentcy - Small learning curve, and mine now will hold 230 anytime I need it, using a charcoal basket. It is efficient, and for most cooks, I use only 20 lbs of K and 5 to 6 wood chunks. Can turn a lot of product, without sacrificing heat or cooking time. No electricity needed or mechanism to worry about, just a good cleaning once a week. Plus, it looks good with the red powdercoat and chrome stacks, it never fails to turn heads or get compliments.

The folks at Spicewine are top notch as well!

ColretBBQer
Got Wood.
beer.png

green.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke

I've been thinking of getting a Spicewine for consistent cooking temps when it gets cold (I like the colors too..). What do like best about them?:razz:

Regards,

TonyC
KCBS Certified Judge
Backyard-Smoker-Barbeque-Chef.com

user_offline.gif
progress.gif

I thought I'd responded already! Scared me!

Don't forget that FEC100's are also insulated cookers! All that were mentioned were good choices and can make outstanding BBQ, so its going to come down to personal preference. Check out the contest schedule on KCBS's website and find a contest local to you. Show up and walk around. I don't know any contest pitmaster who wouldn't be thrilled to give you a tour of their smoker.... From there, you can make a decision. Good Luck!

I had a stumps and really liked it. I had a GF223cm. It holds temps very steady, and you can go 40 hours on a full load in the chute. They do have some temp variations (lower and right side is a bit hotter), but they do a great job. I believe Joby S started Superior Smokers (very similar to stumps but has a few differences) and I have heard good things about them (he used to work for stumps..he is actually the one I talked to when ordering my stumps..he is a very nice and stand up guy)

The Spicewine is a top notch cooker.

I never cooked on the others that are listed above so I can write about them.

I can tell you, that you can't go wrong with the Spicewine.

As a new owner of a BWS, I can attest to the simplicity of use, and the superior product it produces, but I have not used the others to compare this BWS against.
I have heard a lot of great things about the others, especially the Spicewine brand.
It may simply come down to price and what bells and whistles you want.
Much success in your research...

Back