4-Hour Brisket Done (Pron attached)

W

wheelterrapin

Ok Gang, having attended Myron's cooking class and learning his 4-hour brisket cook procedure I tried it this morning on my WSM.

I purchased a 12.2 pound Packer Brisket from Walmart, trimmed it up, made up a little over a quart of injection, injected half in the brisket and poured the rest over it in a plastic bag with the fat side up. Let it marinate overnight in the bag for about 16 hours, removed from the bag and let it set at room temperature for a couple of hours and then applied the rub.

I used Stubbs briquettes with some apple and peach wood chunks. Kept the smoker temperature between 250 - 300 degrees and at exactly the four hour mark the internal temperature of the brisket, at the thickest part, was 205, my target temperature. I was using a Maverick ET-73 probe but backed this probe up with a Thermapen and they both read 205.

I now have it wrapped up in a heavy blanket and will let it rest for a couple of hours.

I will report back how it turned out with some pron. If this comes out as good as Myron's there will be no more low and slow for me for brisket.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok has it been 2 hrs yet im hungry get me some pictures lol

The best brisket I've ever turned out has been via hot 'n fast. Betcha you're going to love it.

Anxious for your report and pron.

How tender did the brisket feel when you stuck the probe in to test for the target temp?

The best brisket I've ever turned out has been via hot 'n fast. Betcha you're going to love it.

Anxious for your report and pron.

I can't make the math work at 12 pounds without a bag and I am the KING of Hot and Fast! Now I could Walter Jetton Style, LOL - Inside Joke.

You've forgotten more about que and brisket than I have ever learned, but would foiling allow you to cook a brisket that big that fast?

I can't make the math work at 12 pounds without a bag and I am the KING of Hot and Fast! Now I could Walter Jetton Style, LOL - Inside Joke.

4-hour brisket cook procedure I tried it this morning on my WSM.

I purchased a 12.2 pound Packer Brisket from Walmart, trimmed it up, made up a little over a quart of injection, injected half in the brisket and poured the rest over it in a plastic bag with the fat side up. Let it marinate overnight in the bag for about 16 hours, removed from the bag and let it set at room temperature for a couple of hours and then applied the rub.

The highlighted parts is what I picked up.

This here brisket has been marinated for 16 hours - with both an internal injection & an external bath in a bag.
I hypothesize that this did most of the work.

What you think Funk?

That's fast seems 350 would give those results it's done when it's done. :clap2:

I'm with Funk 4 hours for 12lbs of meat. If your Pit temp is right that doesn't seem right???? If your pit was really closer to 400 then maybe.

OK Gang here are the pictures:

Brisket1.jpg

Brisket2.jpg

Brisket3.jpg

The brisket was great, very tender and has excellent taste. No more long Brisket cooks for me, from here on out it will be hot and fast.

Paul

Ok Gang, having attended Myron's cooking class and learning his 4-hour brisket cook procedure I tried it this morning on my WSM.

I used Stubbs briquettes with some apple and peach wood chunks. Kept the smoker temperature between 250 - 300 degrees and at exactly the four hour mark the internal temperature of the brisket, at the thickest part, was 205, my target temperature. I was using a Maverick ET-73 probe but backed this probe up with a Thermapen and they both read 205.

I now have it wrapped up in a heavy blanket and will let it rest for a couple of hours.

I will report back how it turned out with some pron. If this comes out as good as Myron's there will be no more low and slow for me for brisket.

Folks all I know is that I kept the temp inside the WSM between 275 - 300 degrees, once it got to 303 but just for about 20 minutes before I adjusted it back down. Myron calls it his 4-hour brisket and this is one of the things I went to learn when I went to the school. I am just here to attest (for me) that it worked to a "T" and I loved the results.

I poured the drippings into a grease separator and separated the Au Jus from the grease and then I would dip a piece of the brisket in the Au Jus and eat it I swore I died and was in Heaven at the banquet table. It worked for me, give it a try and see what you think? I did pan the brisket when it got to 160 degrees and covered with HD foil and then put back in the smoker until it reached 205.

Just want to thank all of the brethren for all of the great help and advice you folks have so freely given me, it sure cheers up this old Vet and Granddpa. I am just trying to return the favor by passing on what I am learning to others to use if they would want to.

Paul

I'm with Funk 4 hours for 12lbs of meat. If your Pit temp is right that doesn't seem right???? If your pit was really closer to 400 then maybe.

Back