IQUE 110 & WSM/UDS Reviews

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know there are about 4+ threads asking if it's worth getting that popped up towards the beginning of summer so this really isn't going to be another one. I am assuming that many of you WSM/UDS owners picked one up judging from the replies I saw in most of the threads and have more than likely used them at least once.

So let's here the reviews! I would like to know your honest opinions on the IQUE 110. Was it worth it? Did you have any problems with it during set up? Did it hold steady temperatures through out the entire cook process? Did you make any changes to it?

Post your review and help others in deciding whether the IQUE 110 is right for them. Whether it's good or bad I would like to know.

Nick

I've put this in a few other thread but I'll put it here too for anyone browsing. I bought the Ique about 6 months ago I think and I'm happy with it. I'm an occasional weekend BBQ'er. I don't do competitions, I don't cook for monster crowds or at company parties, I just cook for me and my family.

I bought the Ique because it's cheaper than the competitors. It's pretty much simple as that. I guess it would be cool to see a temperature history of a specific cook and maybe I could gather information from that but honestly I just wanted something that will hold a temp while I'm sleeping or running errands. The Ique has done that for me.

The quality of the temperature controller itself seems pretty good. I've not dropped it or really tested it's durability but it seems pretty good. It has been subjected to a light overnight rain and a 105 degree direct sunlight for 1 cook and it seems to still be working fine. The one beef I do have about the unit is the temperature probe. There's no great way to get it inside. The best option is through the top vent but that's problematic for me when I take the top off to add, remove or rotate meat. Both ends of the sensor are too large to fit through the Cajun Bandit grommets. Your only other option besides the lid is to cut a small slot in the middle portion of the WSM. I'm not a huge fan of that so I'm just running it through the top cover until I (or someone else) can come up with something better.

WSM's (and I assume UDS's) hold temps pretty well already in the middle of the summer under ideal circumstances. In my experience the main enemy's are wind and cold. That's where I think I'll really get my money's worth out of the Ique. I'm looking forward to not babysitting my Thanksgiving turkey.

Overall, I think it's a good investment for a backyard BBQ'er like me. I have no idea what competition cooks need from their temp control device but I think it's very sufficient for my needs.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong here. While it isn't perfect for less than half the price of many competitors I'm glad I bought it. The one thing I have seen with mine is the temp you set can vary from the temp in the pit by 5-10 degrees (which I believe the iQue guys say on their website so it isn't a secret). I of course fix this by putting a digital probe in there with my Maverick so I know exactly where it is.

The other thing I have found on both my WSM and TnT is that it will sometimes overshoot the set temp. So I will set the temp about 10 degrees cooler and see where that gets me.

So with those things said I use mine every time I smoke. I have used it in competitions too and makes life very easy. I also have to say the guys over at iQue have awesome customer service. They replied very quickly to all my emails and took the time to answer my many questions.

The one beef I do have about the unit is the temperature probe. There's no great way to get it inside. The best option is through the top vent but that's problematic for me when I take the top off to add, remove or rotate meat. Both ends of the sensor are too large to fit through the Cajun Bandit grommets.

I was able to get the temp probe through the Cajun Bandit grommet. It took a pair of plyers to pull it through (I wrapped the probe in a paper towel to protect it) but it did eventually pull through.

I'm just going to leave the probe in the grommet when I store the WSM. I'm not going to risk damaging it to try it again.

To bad you only include UDS & WSM, on my cooker which isn't one of the above it works great:thumb:

Thanks for the reviews everybody! I'm sold on it and plan to pick one up this week.

Back