THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Aloha from Kauai! Jennifer and I stopped at the Huli Huli Chicken Stand. We got 1/2 a bird and some rice and green salad.

Where do I begin? The flavor? The bite through skin? The moistness of a roast chicken that is actually GRILLED?

Or, do I take a club to my Australian and Floridian brothers for holding back the secret wood used for Huli Huli chicken?

It ain't kiawe or guava.

I will be pming some of you to get some of this wood so I can experiment.

Much love to all of you.

Rogue do a little Google,you can get some pretty good info, kind of a sweet soy to me.
Wife has a aunt in Grants Pass, great place and river.

The Huli Huli master called it Hawaiian pine aka ironwood. Google fu lookups said it was called Australian pine. It's a hard wood that imparts a Rosemary aroma and flavor to grilled meats. It is found in parts of Florida and Hawaii, as well as Australia.

Huli Huli sauce is a closely guarded secret. Everyone here has their twist. I think the thing that put this version on top was the pine, because most people use kiawe or guava.

The master did tell me that it takes 75 minutes to cook each half. I will upload a pic when I get back so we can noodle out the meat to heat height ratios.

no love for Chicken In A Barrel?

Kauai%20CIB_zpskudm8twu.jpg

How do you know how close to "authentic" it is if you don't know what the authentic standard is beforehand? Or, do you??

Point taken.

I watched the video and saw a Hawaiian dude with a big farkin chicken rotisserie twirling in his yard. Figured he'd done it before. But, yuh, I have no clue if it's the real deal.

Did I just hear SmokinJohn say he was gonna not only continue to bring mac n cheese to the Bashes, but also add in cooking Huli Huli chicken? :whoo:

Hope you and your lovely bride are having a great time over there - I'm guessing with you 2 it can only be a great time!

Happy Spam smuggling! :heh:

I didn't use the native wood, but here's my version I did last summer and it was amazing! Hopefully one day I can take a trip to Hawaii and try the real deal!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfHh-46DDQ"]How to make Huli Huli Chicken - Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe - YouTube[/ame]

We were there a couple months ago. Went to Huli Huli twice because it was so good. Each time trying to get some more info on how to recreate this. SmokinJohn is correct it that it is hawaiian pine. The grillmaster said he gets his chickens from costco (foster farms). No brining, just straight on the grill (grates stood about a couple feet over wood fire) with occasional turning for about hour and half. Afterwards, chicken goes on the cooler side of the grill where the sauce is brushed on. I saw the ingredients on the bottle of sauce they were selling. Took a picture of it, but can't find the pic. But remember the ingredients being pretty basic. I suppose it's just a matter of getting proportions right. Haven't had a chance to tackle this project yet, but hoping to recreate it using my kamado grill with some comparable wood.

Huli-Huli, like most things in Hawaii is very individualistic. Some cook over Kiawe, and some cook over ironwood. A lot has to do with who you get wood from, and where they are getting the wood. In the states, it is called She-oak, and is rarely planted anymore. Genus name is Casuarina.

The Huli-Huli sauce I learned is very similar to teriyaki sauce as a base, except it uses pineapple to sweeten instead of sugar, and some have a pronounced chile flavor added. Like most things in Hawaii, it is a fusion of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and local flavors. We did not brine, in the traditional sense, but, we often laid the chicken into a bed of rock salt over night.

Back