First Pastrami

Old Smoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I finally decided to use that corned beef in the freezer for pastrami. After much research I stole the recipe from Third Eye's Blog,

Here it is the after a 36 hour soak, rubbed and on the BGE @ 250*, yesterday afternoon.

002.jpg

After about 4.5 hours in applewood smoke, cooled overnight in the fridge, sliced and ready to build a sammie for lunch today.

003.jpg

HUH! WHAT NO RYE BREAD! :doh::doh:
OK! Then it’ll be wheat berry, with spicy brown mustard and pickles, with some nacho chips.

006.jpg

Yep! It was good. :thumb:
Thanks for looking at my first, but definitely not my last pastrami.

Where you been Rick? No rye?!? SACRILEGE!!!:-D Just kidding. I'd hit that in a heartbeat.

Looking really good there, I love to make pastrami, just lasts very long around here!

About time you joined us on the home made pastrami train Rick, that one looks good.

I finally decided to use that corned beef in the freezer for pastrami. After much research I stole the recipe from Third Eye's Blog,

Here it is the after a 36 hour soak, rubbed and on the BGE @ 250*, yesterday afternoon.

002.jpg

After about 4.5 hours in applewood smoke, cooled overnight in the fridge, sliced and ready to build a sammie for lunch today.

003.jpg

HUH! WHAT NO RYE BREAD! :doh::doh:
OK! Then it’ll be wheat berry, with spicy brown mustard and pickles, with some nacho chips.

006.jpg

Yep! It was good. :thumb:
Thanks for looking at my first, but definitely not my last pastrami.

Stole it??? Heheheeee. You know my stuff is free for the takin'. You did a fine job on that :clap2:

does anyone steam pastrami after smoking it. i heard this was a step in some big delis.

I smoke them up to around 170-175 Internal, then steam them for a couple of hours either right after smoking or to reheat them from the fridge. Works great.

I smoke them up to around 170-175 Internal, then steam them for a couple of hours either right after smoking or to reheat them from the fridge. Works great.

What ^ he said. I like to cook with corned beef points and I'll do a few like that at a time. I'll pull them at 160 then steam one and vacu-suck and freeze the rest. They cook back great.

Nice, what IT did you take it to?

I took it to +/- 170*
Thanks for stopping by

Where you been Rick? No rye?!? SACRILEGE!!!:-D Just kidding. I'd hit that in a heartbeat.

Well it is a long story....Left shoulder surgery in March, a demo and rebuild of the patio, finally completed in August, Right shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago (still in a sling) and on top of all this.......the dang cookers went on strike, invoking a little know clause in their contract, something about "non use". :doh: So I used a bit of "sweet blue" to get them back to work....:-D During all of this I have been lurking in the Woodpile...:shock: OH! btw I got some rye bread today, Reubens tomorrow....:thumb:Thanks

does anyone steam pastrami after smoking it. i heard this was a step in some big delis.
No I did not steam it. I'll use that to heat up the leftovers. Thanks for stopping by.

About time you joined us on the home made pastrami train Rick, that one looks good.
Thanks Bob! See the response to deguerre for my list of lame excuses.... But that is my story nad I'm sticking to it....

Thanks
cholloway, HeSmellsLikeSmoke, CrazyHarry, Austin Knight, Northwest BBQ, Sammy, aquablue, court, cameraman, and colonel00 for your words of encouragement.

AND
Thank you Third Eye for providing the recipe and directions...:clap2:

What ^ he said. I like to cook with corned beef points and I'll do a few like that at a time. I'll pull them at 160 then steam one and vacu-suck and freeze the rest. They cook back great.

I use points too. Cheaper and juicier. Every now and then one is too fatty and has to be tossed, but that is why they are cheaper.

Back