Pastrami Burnt Ends

Joshw

Babbling Farker
I set a couple packs of store bought corned beef out last night, not thinking of what I was actually going to do with them. After a little contemplation, I thought, I have never seen pastrami burnt ends before. Of course after some research, I'm not the first. I do think I have came up with a unique twist on it though.
Started by seasoning the corned beef with a mixture of black pepper, corriander, and some store bought, Ancho Chile rub.
DCGjkbY.jpg

Also trying out a new technique with the pellet tube. I put some mesquite chunks on the top of it, to see if they will smolder. Looks promising so far.
VSKlEsy.jpg

Stay Tuned.

Love where you're headed with this, Josh.

Looking forward to your continued adventures.

Pulled it at 160 IT
6FobVD9.jpg

Made a braising liquid out of onions, garlic, and beer.
kHRjvFH.jpg

Cubed the meat, and added to a foil pan with braising liquid. Covered and put back on to finish cooking.
EwWMaHO.jpg

And this is what the wood chunks setting on the pellet tube looked like, after a few hours. Whether it makes a difference in flavor, is yet to be seen.
6VG5eev.jpg

This looks great so far, brother Josh.

Good reminder of how badly I need to get the offset up and running again... to include one of those lovely pre-corned brisket points with pastrami rub.

Keep rockin', man. Your final verdict is key.

Into the home stretch. Pastrami without mustard seems wrong, so I made a beer and mustard glaze, to go on it. Has beer, cider vinegar, monkfruit sweetener, honey, dijon mustard, spicy brown mustard, crushed yellow and brown mustard seeds, caraway seeds, thyme.
7AHeVIO.jpg

Pastrami after a 2 hour braise.
ReYj3zQ.jpg

drained, and tossed in the glaze. Put it back on the smoker covered.
X028A9z.jpg

I had to give it a taste, and I think I am on to something here.

I really though this was going to be a Jason TQ post when I saw the subject, heh.

Love the creativity, keep us posted.

After an hour of cooking in the glaze covered, I remvoed cover, and cooked for 30 minutes, stirred, and cooked another 30 minutes.
ivBdMRb.jpg

Plated with some smoked brussels spouts, tossed in a bacon grease and balsamic vinaigrette, and some pickles.
DksJU3b.jpg

These are pretty awesome, and they will be made again. Go for it Shadow!

Good job. I have one in the freezer that is going to get this same treatment.

I like laying more on the smoke tube. Can you tell if it added anything with all that flavor you have already? I was thinking about mixing in some smaller chips in with the pellets but never did. I like this though.

Looks amazing! I was looking to smoke some pastrami using corned beef. Lots of recipes online mention soaking the brisket in water for a day or two to draw some of the excess salt out. Did you end up doing that?

Back