Let Talk Home Made Sauce

K

kcquer

BigMista and others have brought up sauce making recently. I thought it should have its own thread.

I've been a sauce mod guy. Buy some cheap marginal sauce, put some stuff in to fine tune it to my tastes. I've tried a few scratch recipes and hated all of them.

What do you use for a base for a tomato sauce? Tomato sauce, paste, puree? Mine always seems too cooked by the time its not too thin.

Sauce makers help us wannabes out a little.

Bigmista had some great sauce he made this weekend. Share that recipe.

I usually fix up cheap sauces myself but I got a bug up my butt about making some from scratch so I got busy in the kitchen. The trick to making a tomato based sauce is getting rid of the tomato taste. Sounds crazy but it's true. It's impossible for me to give quantities because I never measure anything but here is a list of ingredients I used.

Ketchup
Worchestershire Sauce
Hot Sauce(Trappey's or Louisiana works fine)
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne or other red pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Lemon Juice
Cinnamon
Allspice
Brown Sugar
Some type of syrup (Maple is readily available and works great.)

Put al of the ingredients in a pot. Heat till it bubbles. Turn the fire down and simmer about 30 minutes. Slather it on some meat and eat!

Mista

KC ya gotta use ketchup.

I make my own and have had some pretty good batches. My next step is taking the ketchup out and using the raw ketchup ingredients. Someone told me that if you market a sauce you need to go down to all ingredients, otherwise the cost of the ketchup will kill ya. So, that is my next venture. I hope to get it all down and perfect before the fall bash.

I currently make a sweet and smokey, have not tried to heat it up yet.

KC ya gotta use ketchup.
Sounds like a logical intermediate step between sauce mod and complete scratch. I'll give that a try. Like I need to be makin' any sauce. I have 6 open bottles in the frig and 5 I have never tried in the pantry, including a apple cinnamon sauce and a honey habanero I picked up on the road trip last week.

I'm hopin' ckkphoto will ante up on this too.

Check out what a gallon can of tomato sauce is at Sam's or Costco. Something like a couple bucks I think. Then build from that. Keep a log if you want systematically to improve.

Personally, I grow my own tomatos and tomatillos and peppers. Just a few hundred or so this season. I've still got gallons of frozen sauce, salsa, etc. from last season. Way better than anything storebought; especially fresh in season. Not necessarily cheaper than the cheapest though all things considered. But I do get to play in the dirt and eat good.

PS: My "secret" ingredients are Bandera smoke-dried pepper powder made from poblanos and habaneros.

I ALWAYS begin with ketchup. But in a pinch I will use tomato sauce and doctor it up from there. When you do your homemade sauce the way you like it then remember this. DO NOT CHANGE KETCHUP BRANDS...and DO NOT CHANGE TOMATO SAUCE BRANDS! Reason is if you do you will be essentially changing your receipe.

My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy. :shock:

Bigmofo300lbs said:
I ALWAYS begin with ketchup. But in a pinch I will use tomato sauce and doctor it up from there. When you do your homemade sauce the way you like it then remember this. DO NOT CHANGE KETCHUP BRANDS...and DO NOT CHANGE TOMATO SAUCE BRANDS! Reason is if you do you will be essentially changing your receipe.

My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy. :shock:

Got a recipe? Care to elaborate? I'd appreciate hearing it if you do.

My wife and I have been working on two versions of our sauce for the better part of a year now. Pretty happy with it but still in the "prototype" stage. Right now we are thinking about making our ketchup from scratch and building our sauce from there. I know....pretty crazy.

Not crazy at all. I'm doing the same thing. My mom has made her own ketchup for years. One batch of sauce that I made used her catsup and that was the best batch I ever made.

I'm not a huge sauce fan, but have worked on a few for those that do. I usually start with a recipe that looks pretty good and then start adapting it to the flavor I want. If you have Smoke and Spice there are a couple of recipes in there that are a pretty good starting point.

Interesting. Most everybody chiming in is talking about a KC/OK/TX style sauce, basically ketchup based with no vinegar or mustard.

Anybody from the Carolinas wanna chime in - maybe some of you mustard sauce folks, or vinegar folks or ketchup/vinegar folks?

What about some Memphisites? Ketchup/mustard/brown sugar based sauces rule there I hear.

The basic sauce I grew up (and out) on is worsey/brown sugar/cider vinegar based. Yep, it's thin,
but it brings out the flavor in mutton, chicken and pork.

mmMMMmmmm.

Yeah. When I think of BBQ, I always think of Illinois.

Sarcastic Mod (Did I do that right?) :lol:

Mista

Bigmista said:
Yeah. When I think of BBQ, I always think of Illinois.

Sarcastic Mod (Did I do that right?) :lol:

Mista

Damn Skippy :lol:

I have never been much of a sauce guy, since I believe the meat is the deal, but FWIW, when I was at the Dallas Athletic Club, we would buy "Pit" bbq sauce for about $3 a gallon and dump in some molasses, onion powder and garlic powder. The members loved it, often getting styro cups of it to take home.

Damn Skippy
How about a peanut butter base sauce. No, I am not kidding. Any body have a peanut sauce recipe?

African Ribs with Peanut Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meats Ribs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 pounds pork backrib
1/4 cup oil
1 cup onion -- minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon coriander seed -- finly crushed
salt, pepper
chili oil
1 6 1/2 ounce can roasted shelled peanuts
1 eggplant -- cubed
juice 1/2 lemon
steamed carrots and green beans
2 teaspoons paprika

Broil ribs till brown. Heat 3 tbls oil in large pot. Saute onion and garlic
until tender. Add chicken broth and coriander seeds. Season to taste with
salt,pepper, chili oil. bring to boil. Add ribs, then simmer
covered, 1 hour or until ribs are tender.

Place peanuts in blender with remaining 1 tbls oil. Blend until finely
ground. Add toribs along with eggplant, lemon juice and paprika. Simmer until
eggplant in tender stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Add green beans and carrots before serving or serve vegetables alongside with
stew.

Note: 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter may be substituted for roasted peanuts.
Stir into sauce after eggplant is cooked.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Eggplant simmers along with the ribs, and beans and carrots are
either cooked with the meat or on the side. All you need to turn this in to a
substantial meal is steammed rice and/or French bread.

Title: PEANUT SAUCE #3
Categories: Chinese, Condiment
Yield: 1 servings

1/2 c Chunk-style peanut butter
1 1/2 tb Soy sauce
1 tb Water
1/2 ts Sugar
2 dr Tabasco sauce
1 Clove garlic, minced
1/2 c Water

Thoroughly combine the first 6 ingredients; slowly
stir in the 1/2 cup water, mixing until smooth. Makes