Wednesday Night Brisket

CaptGrumpy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a nice 12 pound brisket @ Save Mart on Monday and got the urge to help a friend learn how to trim one and season it before entering the BGE smoke zone!
I trimmed it down nicely and then did a combo rub of Pappy's Low Salt rub & Pappy's Garlic & Herb rub after rubbing my meat with a bit of EVOO. I let it sit 30 hour in the fridge and fired up the Eggzilla BGE tonight to do a long low & slow session with this mammoth hunk of brisket.
Smoking the brisket with chunks of apple, cherry & hickory over a load of Lazzari oak hardwood lump.
I even broke out the DigiQII for tonight's cook even though the BGE really does not need the babysitter but it does impress the beginners.
I should be enjoying some nice sliced brisket tomorrow when I get home from my daughter's volleyball game at Folsom High School. They beat Davis Sr. High ( my alma mater ) tonight to keep their season to only one defeat which was in their first tournament two weeks ago. I think we have a serious chance at the state championship this year.
I will break down and do some nice pron shots of the big egg workin' it's magic but not tonight!

I know you have been gone so incase you forgot....
warninglabel_norco.jpg

It wasn't hot last night!

Opened up the Eggzilla for a couple of shots and the temp dropped to 185! Internal at 171 right now!
P9110004.jpg

P9110003.jpg

This one is going to be awesome!

I think adding the hickory chunks in with the apple & cherry lends the brisket the flavor that I have been looking for.
Briskets are so damned simple if you use an egg and the babysitter (DigiQII) makes it even easier. It is like using your oven but tastes a hell of a lot better!
I can't wait to take the tip off and rest the flat for later today. And the burnt tips are off the wall.

Back