Great Northern Beans & Cornbread (guidance by thirdeye) ...

Q

Q_Egg

Right in the middle of a low & slow great northern bean cook in new cast iron dutch oven. Running in BGE at 240*F for last 3 hours and will go until beans are tender.
Using thirdeye's recipe from a few weeks back, added a chopped Hatch & jalapeno pepper and about 1/2 lb of chopped, smoked, brisket point from last month. You can see the two Smithfield smoked pork hocks which I did a 2nd smoke (2 hrs & some rub) on this morning (per thirdeye). This will be a new experience for me and hopefully a tasty one.

I'm still wondering about mixing the chpped brisket point with the pork hocks, but if it works in meat loaf maybe this will be fine. I also just did Jake Hudgin's skillet corn bread (Peace,Love and Barbeque _ p10) and it looks pretty good _ (I added a jalapeno and some cheddar). Can't wait for dinnertime!

Attachments

• BGE_Great Northern Beans_DSCF1003.jpg
    BGE_Great Northern Beans_DSCF1003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Skillet Corn Bread2_DSCF1004.jpg
    Skillet Corn Bread2_DSCF1004.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 98
thillin said:
No pintos?:cool:

Looks good though!
--------------------------------
... caught me !! I ran out and got these GN's right after seeing a post by thirdeye.... then there were a bunch using pintos. Most of my new BBQ cookbooks have recipes using pintos so that's next .... I guess they are the most widely used BBQ beans.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Bravo, brother! I have a friend who lives in St. George. Can I send him to your place for dinner? :)
------------------------------------------------

I don't know many 'serious' Q'ers here and he'd be welcome!

Man Im liking that Dutch oven pot! I gots to get me one of those.

Great looking grub Tommy.

Looks great, Tommy! If I start driving now I can make it by lunch time!

Man, that looks good! Spoon some of those beans on a bed of cornbread and you've got yourself a meal. A slice of a good sweet onion wouldn't be half bad either. Enjoy!!

oh hell I sure do love my great northerns, down here in texas the only thing you will find is pintos.

every year for my B-day I get franks, fried taters, and northern beans mixed with some corn bread. simple but effective makes papa happy for another year

MilitantSquatter said:
Damn that looks good...

I need to spend some time this fall and winter trying a bunch of recipes for beans...

great looking fall food indeed. i'm gonna try these too.

phil

Back