Dry Aged Steaks

MadCityJim

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Three weeks ago, the wife says, "how about we have some steaks for dinner tonight?” I was heading to Sam's Club anyway. Unfortunately the steaks were pretty picked over so I checked out the cryovacs and found a nice loin with a full fat-cap and some signs of nice marbling on each end.

So I cut steaks for the family that night, and wrapped the rest in potato bag cloth and stashed it in the workshop fridge. I changed the cloths a couple of times the first week. About a week ago we cut a couple of more steaks off of it. Then rewrapped it and back into the workshop fridge.

So here’s the last of it after 3 weeks. We’re having a couple of friends over so I need 4 steaks.
dryaged-001.jpg
dryaged-002.jpg

I figure after I trim the ends there’s 7 inches left so I shoot for 1 3/4 inch steaks.
dryaged-003.jpg

I carefully trim the black meat as well as the fat.
dryaged-004.jpg

I salt them lightly with kosher salt and they’re into the fridge until 5pm.
dryaged-005.jpg

At 5pm they’ll go into a just warm oven for an hour while I fire up the Weber kettle. They’ll get a coating of EV Olive Oil and more salt and 4 minutes a side on a hot grill.

Those are going to be awesome tasting!! Your friends will never leave:wink:. BTW, why did you cut all of the sub Q fat off, is that the norm?

Last edited:
When the steaks are aged this long, the I think fat can get a gamey taste to it, so I trim pretty close to the red meat anytime I age more than 2 weeks. But that's based on what I like. Some people like the deep aged flavor, but I like the concentrated beef flavor and the increased tenderness that come with the aging. I also like going through the process with the whole loin and spliting it into 3-4 meals over 3 weeks.

5:00ppm Ron. See you there, I wonder what Jim is eating for dinner though.

Those steaks look great. I may have to try it. What temp should the fridge be, ideally?

Good lookin hunkocow.I'm gonna buy a Ribeye Primal and toss it in the cooler for AT LEAST 35 days,uncovered ,on a rack,in a drippan,slice,not trim and cook just to see if it's worth it.I like the thickness on your steaks.

Back