52 day "Commando" Dry Aged ribeyes.

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I posted these pics under another title.Not much response.I'll try this way. Commando refers to just sittin on a rack,uncovered,in the spare fridge for 52 days.Was gonna go 60 days but Baby Boy came home for a visit before headin out to Ft.Benning for jump school.Had to feed him well.It was a whole ribeye sub-primal startin out.I cooked 1/2 of it as a prime rib a few weeks ago.
100_4196.jpg

100_4197.jpg

100_4200.jpg

100_4201.jpg

My fave is 35-45 day ribeye,21-28 days for T-bone,Porterhouse and Strips.Beef Tenderloin should be wet aged.This is just MY opinion.:-D

Dude, Love a dry-aged steak. You said you just put in your fridge? Any air or humidity control?

i am not experienced with dry aging steaks but is the black around the edges part of the aging process?

Dude, Love a dry-aged steak. You said you just put in your fridge? Any air or humidity control?

Nope.Just sit it on a rack over a drip pan and let it ride.I keep the fridge between 34-36 degrees f.

Was it worth the time it took

I would have to say yes.Considering 45+ Dryage steaks run about $30.00 / lb. around here.I paid $4.97 / lb. for this. I was going for 60 days but it got cut short.I think I really prefer the 35-45 day ribeyes.

i am not experienced with dry aging steaks but is the black around the edges part of the aging process?

Yes it is.It renders and turns soft when cooked.Adds MUCH to the dryage flavor.Very hearty and beefy flavored.If you have never tried Dry age,buy a steak and try it first before spending the $$$ and time on a primal.Some people prefer fresh or wet aged beef.It is different in taste and texture.:wink:

You should really trim the black meat off. It has decayed and shouldn't be eaten.

You should really trim the black meat off. It has decayed and shouldn't be eaten.

It is not decayed,it is DRYaged.THE BEST PART! If you want to trim the rind,just wet age and there will be no rind.:wink: Trimming the rind defeats the purpose of DRY aging it.

It is not decayed,it is DRYaged.THE BEST PART! If you want to trim the rind,just wet age and there will be no rind.:wink: Trimming the rind defeats the purpose of DRY aging it.

Forgive me, but it has decayed. That's the way it works. One reason dry aged beef is so expensive is because approximately 50% of the weight is trimmed off and discarded because we can't use it for anything. It really isn't safe to eat the decayed portion of a dry aged loin. Dry aged beef tastes stonger, richer and "beefier" because it has been concentrated, not because it has decayed. The black portion of the meat should be trimmed and discarded.

Great pictures, looks delicious, they must have tasted awesome. Have only dry aged in the fridge for 10 days. After reading this, will try the longer fridge time. I will soot for your target of 35 to 45 days.

Forgive me, but it has decayed. That's the way it works. One reason dry aged beef is so expensive is because approximately 50% of the weight is trimmed off and discarded because we can't use it for anything. It really isn't safe to eat the decayed portion of a dry aged loin. Dry aged beef tastes stonger, richer and "beefier" because it has been concentrated, not because it has decayed. The black portion of the meat should be trimmed and discarded.

I would NEVER want to tell someone to do something that they are uncomfortable with.If ya wanna trim it do so.If you say so.4 of us devoured it on Sunday nite.No problems thus far.To each his own but I think it adds to the flavor.I am not a nutrionist or doctor but I been doin this a while.Is jerky decayed or is it dried meat?This was just dried slower in a temp safe enviroment.Not starting an argument but I am not gonna post anything or recommend anything that me and my family would not feel safe with.:thumb:

Great pictures, looks delicious, they must have tasted awesome. Have only dry aged in the fridge for 10 days. After reading this, will try the longer fridge time. I will soot for your target of 35 to 45 days.

I'm with you.A friend did one 100 days but even he admitted 60 was long enough for him.I prefer 35-45 days for a ribeye primal.Less for strips and T-bones/Porterhouses.

Back