Holding Re-Heated Pulled Pork

tnfan47

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing a luncheon for work on Friday curious if this plan will work out for holding the pulled pork after re-heating. Check out my timeline and I have a 40 minute commute to work.

1. Re-heat vacuum sealed bags of pp in rolling boiling water Friday morning (5:30ish am). - 15 pounds of cooked meat.
2. Put the heated bags in a cooler filled with towels
3. Cut open vacuum sealed bags and place in crock pots on low at work (8:00 am). Stirring occasionaly until time to eat.
4. Eat at 11:00am.

Thanks for any input.

If you are comfortable with it, I would put the heated bags in the cooler and just barley cover them with boiling water and transport them that way, I would think they would stay hot enough to serve that way. Do a test run, boil a pot of water and dump it in the cooler, and check the temp after 5 hours and see where it is. We do this with corn on the cob all the time, we will put a bunch in the coolers and boil water, pour over the corn, and then drive to what ever function we are doing usually about 30 to 45 minutes and they are done and the water is still almost boiling at that point

If you are comfortable with it, I would put the heated bags in the cooler and just barley cover them with boiling water and transport them that way, I would think they would stay hot enough to serve that way. Do a test run, boil a pot of water and dump it in the cooler, and check the temp after 5 hours and see where it is. We do this with corn on the cob all the time, we will put a bunch in the coolers and boil water, pour over the corn, and then drive to what ever function we are doing usually about 30 to 45 minutes and they are done and the water is still almost boiling at that point

Thanks for the idea.

Not sure you'd need to heat it up before work or try to transport it hot. I had a similar situation for our Christmas potluck. I had previously pulled the pork, and had it in a ziplock bag. I put it in the fridge at work, and then gave it about an hour and a half in the crock pot. I poured in the defatted drippings from when I had it foiled for the last part of the cook. It turned out moist, hot, and delicious. The only complaints I heard were that there wasn't more.

Not sure you'd need to heat it up before work or try to transport it hot. I had a similar situation for our Christmas potluck. I had previously pulled the pork, and had it in a ziplock bag. I put it in the fridge at work, and then gave it about an hour and a half in the crock pot. I poured in the defatted drippings from when I had it foiled for the last part of the cook. It turned out moist, hot, and delicious. The only complaints I heard were that there wasn't more.

Yes I'll be saving the drippings for sure.

So you put the cooled pulled pork from the fridge directly in the crock pot and it was ready to serve about 1.5 hours? Wow that's good.

I do this fairly often at work and use the same method. The meat is always ready in 1.5 - 2 hours.

Allen

3 hrs in a crockpot should be fine. Check it at 10 if its not close to 160, then turn it high, should be there in an hour.

Back