Pulling cold pork shoulder

JJJBBQ

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
J
Ended up with a whole pork shoulder from my Super Bowl cook. Didn’t get around to pulling it when it was hot. Stuck it in the fridge last couple of days and got it out just now to pull.

Interesting experience. Definitely took a little while longer. Plenty of gelatin and fat around the meat. Saved the gelatin and threw out the fat. When I pulled the pork, found pockets of rendered fat that had solidified. Could tell it was rendered by feel. Like soft wax. Melted when you held it a little bit to warm up. Not a lot of unrendered fat. Heated up the pork to test if it was drier. Even in the microwave, it was pretty good.

Here’s some pics of the meat, gelatin, and a ball of rendered, waxy fat. And one of it heated in the microwave. It’s now vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Usually, I heat up the bags in boiling water until up to temperature.

Thought it was kind of interesting. Anyone experience this before? Felt a little like a chef practicing molecular gastronomy at a fancy restaurant!

Last edited:
That's great. It does well when you chop it in that state. That might be the best leftover pork you ever had! Enjoy your rewards!

Looks like you did a great job..... When properly Vac-sealed, it will last in the freezer for a year or more. Heating in hot water make quick work for a great dinner.

I always make extra butts/shoulders to be used at a later date for unexpected company or last minute picnic invites. I try to pull when it's warm, but time isn't always cooperative.

If I can't pull it when it's warm, I quickly separate the whole muscle masses, remove all the fat, and pour off the liquid into an open vac-seal bag. The next day I pull the pork and separate as needed into vac-seal bags. Then I remove the fat from the top of the jelled liquid and evenly divide the gelatinous proteins into the other bags, thus insuring the flavorful meat drippings are mixed into the meat without the fat.

If I can't pull it when it's warm, I quickly separate the whole muscle masses, remove all the fat, and pour off the liquid into an open vac-seal bag. The next day I pull the pork and separate as needed into vac-seal bags. Then I remove the fat from the top of the jelled liquid and evenly divide the gelatinous proteins into the other bags, thus insuring the flavorful meat drippings are mixed into the meat without the fat.

That’s a great tip about saving the juices. Going to remember that for the next time!

Back