Smoked eel

BramBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I smoked some eels yesterday. 20 pound of fresh eel fore 10 persons. That is very good food:

gerookte_paling_20090822_1248038976.jpg

First you dry them them fore 20 minutes on 80 celsius (176F) them you use sawdust to kill the fire and let the smoke come out for about 45 minutes.

gerookte_paling_20090823_1738193248.jpg

gerookte_paling_20090823_1948118237.jpg

gerookte_paling_20090823_1578312695.jpg

gerookte_paling_20090823_1013359703.jpg

I used beech (??) and apple wood. Only wood.

It is a pity that eel is so expensive, because it is really delicious.

Yes, Eel is smack full of big flavor.
The only time I have it is when I go out for Sushi; they broil
it just right to bring out its flavor.
Very tasty indeed.

I'm trying to think of something to compare the taste of Eel to.
But; I can't think of anything. I suppose the best way I can
describe it is that it doesn't have Seafood taste; but, rather,
a Wild game type of taste.

Never tried eel, but I hear it's quite good.

Do you have to skin them before eating or leave it on? How would you serve it?

Thanks

Of course they taste like Chicken............Actually they are very good, had them in Taiwan once, very tasty

I'm reminded of the bar bq competition where they had to cook eel. They put them in dry ice to "sedate" them, and one kept coming out of the ice chest freaking everyone out. I think someone came and wacked him with a cleaver. It was funny.

Never tried eel, but I hear it's quite good.

Do you have to skin them before eating or leave it on? How would you serve it?

Thanks

Yes you skim the eel by graping his head and pull the skin off. You can eat it from the grate or put it on bread.

The taste of eel is very specific. It don't taste like fish. But it also don't taste like meat. You have to try it.

I would usually say Looks Good. But since that don't look like fried rattlesnake I got nothing to campare it with.

So I will say looks different and I would try once maybe.

I would usually say Looks Good. But since that don't look like fried rattlesnake I got nothing to campare it with.

So I will say looks different and I would try once maybe.

:p haha. I understand that you never had eel! This is a real delicacy in Holland. And expensive too. one pound cost about $35 - $42 dollar by the Fishmonger. Thats 3 maybe 4 eels. But is worth it!

If you guys ever get a chance to eat smoked eel,don't pass on that one!
That's stuff is like butter!
Think you have to show them the end result Bram like in the last pic you see some pink of the eel.
Where did they originally from,Ireland?
Spakenburg is only a half hour drive from my place right?:-D

Example...

Attachments

• dyn001_original_480_640_jpeg_2579916_ab0d7d699fe99fb08687fa299785b343.jpg
    dyn001_original_480_640_jpeg_2579916_ab0d7d699fe99fb08687fa299785b343.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 240
I grew up with both unagi and anago, both are good. As said above, the taste is quite specific. When we made it ourselves, a light smoke then grilled is best. Then served over steamed rice.

If you guys ever get a chance to eat smoked eel,don't pass on that one!
That's stuff is like butter!
Think you have to show them the end result Bram like in the last pic you see some pink of the eel.
Where did they originally from,Ireland?
Spakenburg is only a half hour drive from my place right?:-D

:oops: I was to busy eating that there where no pics of the end result. I planned to smoke them end of September, and i have a vacuum machine...so:p

O and there from Ireland indeed. Nice fat eels.

That's how we roll,nice 'n fat eels!
Maybe we can exchange some food in the near future?:-D
Then maybe you can teach me some tricks of the trade when it comes to smoking fish (everybody is born with fish in Spakenburg!:-D).

eels are so expensive these days because they are possibly going on the endangered list.

We fisherman love them for striper bait!

I've had them smoked in Japanese restaurants, but round these here parts we nail them to a tree, skin them, and deep fry them in peanut oil. And damned they are tasty!

We found a suitable substitute, slightly less oily, in the Monkeyface Eel along the west coast. Can be caught from rocky shorelines and makes a nice unagi substitute. It is not a true eel, but, it cooks up very much the same.

MMM Eel.
We have them all over the place here. We usually catch them while spear fishing and they are the treat of the catch.

MMM Eel.
We have them all over the place here. We usually catch them while spear fishing and they are the treat of the catch.

You smoke them?

The eels are from Ireland, but they don't eat eel. The story goes that St. Patrick came to Ireland and get rid of al the snakes. Only one type stayed and that was the eel. The eel was sentenced to live under water.

I'm very glad they don't eel :-D

Back