Traeger: who's used em?

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a Traeger. Looks like a good design, seems to not need a lot of attention during the smoke. Would like to hear from those who have owned and/or used a Traeger: what are your impressions?

The likely alternative would be the WSM.

I don't have one,I've heard good things about them. BUT, what do you do if you run out of pellets? Where I am there are not many if any places to buy them.

There are lots of great smokers out there that use charcoal or wood that is available almost everywhere.

Don't know what a Traeger costs, but I've been thinking about a Baby Stump. About $1400 last time I looked.

I'm sure there are many that will chime in soon, good luck with whatever you buy.

WSM is a great one.

I think Wade had one over at Eagle practice w/ a big green egg.

I have a Traeger Lil Tex. It works good but I have not used it since I built my first UDS. I think that says something. :-D

I have the Lil Tex and just love it for what it is.
Very consistant results, dependable, and easy to maintain.
Good quality food every time.

Pellet supplies are not a problem thanks to the wonders of the WWW and folks like Candy Sue :-D

Ask any specific questions you may have.

TIM

I have a Traeger Lil Tex. It works good but I have not used it since I built my first UDS. I think that says something. :-D
Somewhat same for me. Had the drums and thought a traeger would be good. Only used it a little and went back to the drum. Sold the traeger.
Got an Egg now and use it more than the drums but this may be a "got something new and gotta use it".
Lots of Traeger owners absolutely love their smokers and wouldn't have anything else. There should be a smoker rental plan to see if you like something!:idea:

My dad has the com-190. It runs great and needs little attention during the smoke. Downside is that it requires power to operate. That can be problem in competition. There are also more parts to break. I use a wsm in competition, and I beat my dad last weekend

I have a Texas 075. Had it about 3 years now. As stated above it's easy and consistant. No one mentions it's ability as a grill. I love grilling on mine. My old gasser went down hill on me and I chose a Traeger so I have a good grilling machine that has a bonus. It can smoke too. I still use my offset for the days I feel like playing with fire. I find that enjoyable. Hell, I'm still looking for another backyard toy. If your looking for a solid all around machine it's a good choice. Getting pellets is as easy as going to your local store and getting wood chuncks and lump.

Find I use my traeger alot. Mainly because of convienence. Busy life with three kids so not at home much to tend the fire. Set it and forget it. Don't like grilling with it but smokes pretty good.

The three that are on my front porch are the Traeger 075, one of the WSMs and my UDS. They all get used, depending on how much / what I'm cooking and how I feel that day.

I won a Traeger Jr a couple of months ago in a newspaper contest...dabbled with it a little, used it for chicken at our first comp...took 6th out of 84 teams. But when it comes down to it...I love my drums and my Webers (Performer & OTG) much more than the pellet poopin' step child...
And I really wouldn't call it a grill since it doesn't get that hot...unless of course you let the fire burn back into the auger and pellet bin... :toomanybeersmod: :redface:

Find I use my traeger alot. Mainly because of convienence. Busy life with three kids so not at home much to tend the fire. Set it and forget it. Don't like grilling with it but smokes pretty good.

Same kid count here. I find that BBQ gives me time to get out back and away from the madness ;)

I run a WSM so I really can also set-and-forget for quite a while. Just don't tell the wife about this... I *have* to sit out there, screwing around in the yard, checking temps, all day. Agreed?

I used a Traeger Tex 075 last weekend to take 2nd out of 53 teams in Chicken. Speaks for itself. I love my Traeger for specific types of cooking.

I've got a treager too, but wont recomend a new one. The new ones are all made out of country now. Not near the quality. We sell them where I work. Mine is an older one. Older ones have welded on legs. The new out of country ones have bolted on legs. If the legs are bolted on don't buy it. There are two other brands of pellet grills, Louisiana grills, and green mountain grills. All three should use any type of food grade pellet. My parts manager is looking at the green mountain. The down side to them is they only have two types of pellets. But like I said you should be able to use the treager pellets in the green mountain or lousiana.

I own and use three Traegers. I have used every single Traeger on the market.
I am really happy with the three I own. (2 I got before the sponsorship) They are my go to grills for every day use. Its like this when you have three kids you need something to get the job done efficiently and without a lot of baby sitting Traegers do that. Additionally I have hauled my 3 traegers all over the US and Canada to compete with. As for the leg issue mentioned above I can say honestly I have never ever ever experienced a problem with this - considering how much they have been loaded and unloaded bashed around I don't think its an issue.
I have what I would call the weekend warrior grills as well- WSM's, Weber OTG and BGE I really enjoy the play factor with charcoal and fire when I have the time. However the traegers are the closest to my back door since they are the ones that get used the most. For example before I went to bed last night I put on two briskets and a butt. Didn't have to worry about them at all last night. THis morning I foiled and went back to bed. No worries. They work well. At the end of the day I really don't think anyone should just have one grill or bbq, there are too many variables and they are all different and great in their individual styles.

I've had a Lil' Tex for a few years and love it. Since I've had it I have used my gasser less and less. About the only thing I don't use it for is searing a steak. As others have mentioned it can be used as a grill but it doesn't really get hot enough for searing. The only real complaint that I have is that it's too small. If you can afford it I would suggest buying a bigger model.

I own 4 Traegers (the price was right when the local dealer was going out of business). I use them all, they work great, I just wish they were insulated. I'm thinking about taking the Traeger works off of the 070's & building insulated cabinet style smokers with them this next winter. (That is if the economy pick's up a bit & I have the $). I suppose in Tx. insulation isn't an issue.

I own traeger lil Tex and I Love it! I also own a WSM 22.5 and last weekend I did a few slabs of ribs and the ones on the traeger were a lot better than the WSM (but it was my first time using it).. I Love my traeger and I've talked co-workers into buying them.. You will love it and won't be dissapointed!

I bought myself a 34" Traeger from Costco last year for fathers day. Looking at their website it compares to the Texas Elite 34. Got it for $700 and I love it, set it and forget it.

Back