Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Berks BBQ Bash, Leesport, PA, 7/18-7/19, 2008

We'll be there,,, last I heard there is only 14 teams signed up. It is a great location, even heard there might be a karaoke contest,,, but I'm looking forward to the weiner dog races on saturday,,that was a hoot last year.

We'll be there looking to even the score with Jon for last year :wink:. It is a beautiful venue.

Maybe I can get people to pay me to not enter the karaoke contest. Strong men have been known to wake screaming at night after hearing me sing...

Would anyone be interested in having a Friday pot-luck like we did the first year at Yardley (Bristol back then)?

I do not do karaoke. If I did there would not be a contest as everyone would leave. I do not know what was done with the pot luck

I would be interested in a pot luck. Backporchbbq will be there.

I do not do karaoke. If I did there would not be a contest as everyone would leave. I do not know what was done with the pot luck

The first year of the contest, when it was held in the river-side park in the town of Bristol, many of the teams brought a dish big enough to share for Friday dinner (nothing fancy - chili, salads, sides, chicken, that kind of thing). Then we all sat down to a casual dinner under the pavillion. It was a chance to sit for a minute and talk to people that you might not otherwise get a chance to talk to.

Great idea. Just wanted to see if it was going to be another part of the contest. As Josh said Back Porch BBQ will do this

Correspondence with Tom Christine

Tom,
A couple of us on the BBQ Brethren bulletin board were kicking around the idea of having a pot-luck supper for the teams Friday night at Berks, like we had the first year at Bristol. Any chance of you getting us the use of the pavilion to hold it in, and of passing the word on to those teams that may not read the BBQ Brethren, but might like to take part?

Thanks.
Brian

Hey Brian
Sure I can get the word out and I think that will be a great idea it should be no problem getting the pavilion. We have 17 teams so far and they want to cap it at thirty so pass the word around on the forum and let’s see if we can fill it up also have you heard about the contest in Westport Ct. in September? I’m helping run that one and it should be another great event check out the website www.bluesviewbbq.com for all the facts and forms. Talk to you soon
Tom

The redneck pitkrew is in on the potluck.. sounds like a good idea.

I've arranged to be up there for the weekend visiting a buddy that lives in Temple. Won't be competing, but do plan to come to the event on Saturday, so I'll try to stop by and say "hey" to you folks if you're not too busy.

Is there any word on the pot luck? What are people going to be bringing? Are people still interested in doing this?

Not the Sledcast but it will do

I know it is not the Sledcast so it may be a little off. But here is what I found for the forecast for Berks. It looks like it is going to be a warm one, but not as bad as Yardley.

Fri
Jul 18

34.gif

Mostly Sunny

89°
65°

10%

89°F

Sat
Jul 19

34.gif

Mostly Sunny

86°
63°

10%

86°F

Is there any word on the pot luck? What are people going to be bringing? Are people still interested in doing this?

This just in from Tom:

Hey Teams
I forget to mention there is going to be a potluck dinner on Friday night in the judges tent the time will be announced at the judges meeting. It is being headed up by Brian Collins of Ma’s Que Crew it will be a great time for everyone to sit and talk and eat together so if you want to thro something together that’s fine if not just stop buy to socialize and have a bit to eat you can reach Brian at msdbdc@hofstra.edu See you all there
Tom
Apparently I got appointed to head up the dinner. I'm not sure what that means, but I guess we can start with a list of what we're bringing. I'll supply plates, napkins and utensils (since it was my suggestion and I can use up the 'remains' of several catering gigs). I would suggest that everyone who brings a dish bring an appropriate serving utensil for it and I'll bring some extras, just in case.

Dishes:

1) Ma's Que Crew: Portuguese Pork and Clams
2) Backporch BBQ: Rice and Beans
3) Pigs by the Moon: Pound Cake w/ Fresh Berries
4)
Susquehanna Blue Smoke: Black Bean Salad
5) Widespread Barbecue: BBQ Mac and Cheese
6) Max Que: Sausage, Peppers and Onions
7) Redneck Pit Krew: Sausage and Lentil Soup & Cornbread

Last edited:
Put pigs by the moon down for a pound cake with fresh berries.

I will be there to drink all of BackPorchBBQ's beer. and then I will act really silly and fall down!

Back