Kettle Pizza Oven

I got the basic model and haven’t had great success. But I dont have the baking steel to help cook the top and that’s a problem. I’d say get it with the steel or don’t get it at all. It sits in my garage and comes out once or twice a year.

I got the basic model and haven’t had great success. But I dont have the baking steel to help cook the top and that’s a problem. I’d say get it with the steel or don’t get it at all. It sits in my garage and comes out once or twice a year.
Have to 2nd this.

Originally purchased the basic setup and had mixed results so I ended up purchasing their baking steel insert for the top which fixes the problem of uneven cooking, you need the radiant heat coming off the top at higher temps, makes a great pie. So after that you're in it for $260, if I had todo it all over again I would just step up and get an Ooni and if we were cooking a lot of pizzas I probably still would.

I'm only cooking a couple pies a year now, we have a local place that makes a good pie and my wife likes eating there, they keep a good selection of craft beers on tap so it's a win win, still probably only eat pizza once or twice a month.

I had the baking steel, and it still didn’t make it nearly as effective or consistent as the other options out there (Ooni, Roccbox, etc). It was also a PITA to set up and store. Just my two cents. I sold it a year and a half ago, got an Ooni Koda. No regrets.

I had been considering one also, thanks for the heads up on how it works. A friend has a blackstone he likes but seems like there's lots of other options also. I love a good pizza but even being from deep dish city my preference is a New York style. My wife is not going to be happy I found a new hobby! Not really, she's a sweetie!

I have one coming next week, thought the baking steel was a little high priced so found a good alternative at $100 less...that's coming in about a week.

Also ordered the PizzaQue to take a look at them back to back, it arrived yesterday. Looks a little on the cheap side, but it is a good chunk less than the PizzaCraft, and a slightly different setup.

I was looking at the Hunsaker griddle as a lower cost alternative. It's not quite as thick but would probably still do an ok job.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/col...ns/products/griddle-plate-for-22-kettle-grill

I cut a hole in an extra lid I had for the Kettle and bought a pizza stone. It works just fine though it does take about 8-10 minutes to turn out a pie. Of course, the ceiling of the lid in my mod is lower than the ones where you add an insert between the lid and grate like with the Q or others like it. Anyway I did not eat pizza often before this mod and now I do it practically every week. Well worth doing the mod. I did consider the Ooni but I had the extra lid laying around.

I have the deluxe version and the baking steel and it works okay but it's a lot of work to keep temps up. I later bought a Uuni 3 that I like a lot better and use that.

What was the alternative?

I asked about the 22 WSM plate on the Hunsaker FB page. There is one guy using it and said "works great".

I have one coming next week, thought the baking steel was a little high priced so found a good alternative at $100 less...that's coming in about a week.

Also ordered the PizzaQue to take a look at them back to back, it arrived yesterday. Looks a little on the cheap side, but it is a good chunk less than the PizzaCraft, and a slightly different setup.

I bought the Pro Kit with the steel, and it has treated me well. The key is to start with the "C" shape of charcoal, and when they're burning well add the wood chunks to the basket in the rear. I keep a bucket with some wood chunks handy, and as the fire in the back burns down I just add a couple of chunks at a time, pushing them in with the steel peel. This only needs to be done every 25-30 minutes. The steel on top does a great job directing the flame over the top of the pizza. I've only used it three times, but so far so good. These photos are from this Monday just past...that dark looking topping on half of the pizza in image KP1 is some of my brisket-excellent stuff on a pizza!

Attachments

• KP1.jpeg
    KP1.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 141
  • KP2.jpeg
    KP2.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 140
  • KP3.jpeg
    KP3.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 141
  • KP5.jpeg
    KP5.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 142
  • KP8.jpeg
    KP8.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 141
I bought the Pro Kit with the steel, and it has treated me well. The key is to start with the "C" shape of charcoal, and when they're burning well add the wood chunks to the basket in the rear. I keep a bucket with some wood chunks handy, and as the fire in the back burns down I just add a couple of chunks at a time, pushing them in with the steel peel. This only needs to be done every 25-30 minutes. The steel on top does a great job directing the flame over the top of the pizza. I've only used it three times, but so far so good. These photos are from this Monday just past...that dark looking topping on half of the pizza in image KP1 is some of my brisket-excellent stuff on a pizza!

I'd say that worked out pretty darn well!

Note: Bad pies are operator error, not equipment problem.

That's a great looking pie!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’ve got one. I’d agree, bad pizza is operator error, not faulty equipment. It does take some practice, but I also don’t think you need that flat steel to reflect the heat back down from the lid. Man that is expensive.

I’ve got one. I’d agree, bad pizza is operator error, not faulty equipment. It does take some practice, but I also don’t think you need that flat steel to reflect the heat back down from the lid. Man that is expensive.
You do if you use Pizza Steel instead of a stone and want to cook above 600 degrees like a normal pizza oven. I was cooking good pies without the Kettle Pizza but when trying to up the temp bottom burned top not done.

Without the top plate it was a waste of money for me when I could get the same results without it.

CbxPxif.jpg

XOny4QB.jpg

wBKJ8Nk.jpg

YEYaSXt.jpg

Very nice looking pizza!

Before buying my KettlePizza, I read and watched a bunch of reviews. They all seemed to point to the same thing: The basic kit was okay, but you had to dome the pie towards the end of the cook in order to get the top up to snuff. Also, the standard kit is more difficult to refuel, so I spent the extra money and got the whole package. Like I said, adding wood during a cook isn't a problem at all, and the steel on top channels the flame from the back wood basket nicely over the ceiling of the oven-no doming required.

I have the basic version and it works great. I dont use a stone directly, we put the pies on tins, then they go on top of the stone. They can be spun with one finger while cooking and they cook much more evenly.

One question, given the grate is below the rim of the kettle and the oven "door" on the KP seems to be an inch or two up from the bottom of the ring, do your pizzas sit down into the kettle as opposed to even with the door?

EDIT: Never mind just figured it out.

Last edited:
Back