New Big Green Egg Logo announced

OakPit

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Today at the HPBA show, BGE announced that they have a new logo. This logo will begin replacing the old one throughout the year.

picture.php

I was looking at one of these. Pretty darned expensive. I'm looking around at reviews. Not sure if it's as good as a slow smoker at 200 degrees or not. Also not sure it can make it up over 700 degrees for steaks. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

What are you using currently to get over 700 degs to cook steaks? The Ceramic/Kamado style grills can't smelt ore but for versatility they can't be beat. Easily hold 200 degs and can easily get smoking hot, haven't hit 700 degs yet but on the other hand wouldn't want to.
Check this forum out, I'm sure you'll find how much their loved by a lot of Brethren very quickly.

I have hit 700 to sear steaks and my Large BGE is great for holding low temps for low and slow. I have not tried 200 but I have done 225 for hours at a time so I would think 200 would not be out of the question. They are a bit expensive but they also are very versatile and a lot of fun

I was looking at one of these. Pretty darned expensive. I'm looking around at reviews. Not sure if it's as good as a slow smoker at 200 degrees or not. Also not sure it can make it up over 700 degrees for steaks. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

As the proud new owner of one-
It is
A) Worth every farkin' penny
B) As good as any "smoker" I've ever used at any temp
C) I buried the thermometer while searing a steak and it came out beautifully...

So in the end I think the question is could you handle the BGE? :thumb:

I have hit 700 to sear steaks and my Large BGE is great for holding low temps for low and slow. I have not tried 200 but I have done 225 for hours at a time so I would think 200 would not be out of the question. They are a bit expensive but they also are very versatile and a lot of fun

Searing of steaks is the reson I mentioned 700 degrees.

These things aren't cheap. Also looking at a Primo. Made in the USA and all. Not sure the oval is any better than round, though

The Big Green Egg XL/L/MED/Sm can all maintain temps of 180 - 750 easily. The Mini is a different deal, more of a grill. Off the top of my head, I'm not familiar with any other cooker type (most ceramic cookers) that have this temperature range ability.

In terms of reviews, I'm not so sure Ive ever heard of a bad one. They seldom come up used and are often passed from one generation to another. To say they have a "Cult Following" would be an understatement.

The only two drawbacks are Weight and Cooking space. Other than that, the cost is on par with any high grade cooker.

Just my .02 but I'm horribly biased.

4657246803_e741b1ea20_m.jpg
4120326172_7e9f890971_m.jpg
4119553017_803618db1b_m.jpg
4120326172_7e9f890971_m.jpg

Nice pics...

You really have to love the loyalty created with these units. Is there a place that people here go to buy these? Locally they're selling for $835 for the Large Egg, no "nest" or accessories.

Check out the Big Steel Keg. Cheaper, get more accessories, and is every bit as efficient as the egg. Searing a steak or making brick oven stle pizzas at high temps is not a problem. There is a dedicated forum to the BSK on that link if you have specific questions.

As the proud new owner of one-
It is
A) Worth every farkin' penny
B) As good as any "smoker" I've ever used at any temp
C) I buried the thermometer while searing a steak and it came out beautifully...

So in the end I think the question is could you handle the BGE? :thumb:

this is the right answer.

Any recommended place to get the BGE? Generally these forums have a place that extends discounts to forum members, etc

Thanks deepsouth. Saw that. Didn't know if there was a favorite place that the Bretheren uses

Thanks deepsouth. Saw that. Didn't know if there was a favorite place that the Bretheren uses

i'm unsure. if you can't find out here, you can always head over to eggheadforum.com and inquire.

where in michigan are you? there are fests all over the place, all the time it seems.

I'm in the Saginaw area. I appreciate the assist. My old Natural Gass clunker finally fell apart so... I'm shopping!

You won't find much of a discount on a BGE, the prices are typically pretty standard. If you think you want one, you will love it. By the time you get the accessories you want with it, you are more in the neighborhood of $1,200+ I would think.

Any recommended place to get the BGE? Generally these forums have a place that extends discounts to forum members, etc

One thing you need to keep in mind is BGE will not honor any warranty from an Egg that was purchased on the internet. They're pricey but part of what you're paying for is their incredible warranty. I've heard of BGE replacing lids/fireboxes/etc under warranty after 20 years.

I recently just bought a used Comet Kamado for $250. It's basically a cheap Chinese knockoff and the quality isn't quite at BGE level, but it is incredible. I've already smoked ribs at 225, made tri-tip at 400 and cooked a dozen pizzas last Sunday at 700. I can't think of any other cooker that can do that kind of temp range as well as a BGE does. If I were to only have ONE cooker it would be my Comet or a BGE. :thumb:

My Kamado is so cool I'm thinking of buying a Small or Medium BGE to compliment it. There is an Egg Fest coming up in So Cal soon and I might buy a demo, just need to figure out which one to get. I might even sell my Comet and just fund a Large BGE so I can have the real deal.

Thanks for all the thoughts. If I go this route, I'd likely build a table rather than have all the legs, extenters, etc. Simple table as they show in their plans

Back