THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
So I had the water pan completely filled with water for my first cook, which where ribs using the 3-2-1 method (another thread with pr0n to follow), and this is how my shiny new WSM looked the day after:

Water Pan
c4jx8r15x23yaw9e6.jpg

Bowl
c4jx975uxf1j5x572.jpg

Center Section
c4jx9lh5c9sw3y6q6.jpg

Lid
c4jxa2po9gnwnvcsu.jpg

Cooking Grates
c4jxbr8wcun9uih72.jpg

Does this look normal to you?

My wife has already cleaned the water pan. Should I leave the rest as shown, or do I want to hose each part, or even brush it (I don't have a grill brush, but the manual mentions crumbled aluminum foil?)?

Is a grill brush better for cleaning the grates than crumbled aluminum foil?

I have read about the buildup on the inside, which is supposed to be seasoning, but I have no idea how this should look like, and how it is supposed to look to justify cleaning.

Foil your water pan, get a 16" terra cotta saucer from Lowes and foil it, put it in your pan and cover the top with foil that you'll replace before each cook. Clean, simple and effective.

You can brush your grates, I think most do it hot before putting on meat, but be sure to rub tthem down with an oiled paper towel afterwards to protect against the dreaded ingestion of a metal bristle. I believe I've read that brass brushes are more prone to shedding than stainless steel.

I use water in the pan on slow cooks and I don't always foil it and don't find it much of a bother to clean it up either way. It kind of looks like yours boiled over for some reason.

A little grease it good. Seasons your smoker and gives you a nice seal. Maybe just wipe up the globs of grease and clean the grates. We also wrap our water pan for easier clean up.

That brownish color looks odd to me, usually the "seasoning" coating inside is blackish/very dark brown. I see the line where the fat is on your H20 pan, and I agree that more than likely your water pan was too full and it boiled over or spilled into the fire. I am not an expert but that brown residue may be creosote and not "normal" seasoning (my new 22.5 lid does not look like that after 3 cooks, nor after the first cook although I DID spray mine down with PAM before my first cook and burned it in at 350 for an hour or so)

I use a saucer now as mentioned above. I hated cleaning the dirty water even with foiling the whole pan on my 18.5"

I line my water pan with foil, and it is pretty easy to clean out the next day.

As for the inside of the smoker, it's going to get grungy as you use it. Just knock the big stuff off, and don't sweat the rest. You are cooking meat with fire -- The inside of the smoker is going to get grungy.

CD

I used water in my pan for the first 6 months or so, then switched to sand and a couple layers of foil. Temp control wasn't affected and clean up is a breeze. I would never go back to water in the pan. Let the rest of the cooker get a good grease build up for seasoning. Every now and then you'll need to knock of the big flakes of creosote, but that's about it.

Did you season the smoker before your first cook? Looks like it may have not been seasoned. If not spray it down with some Pam or such and fire it up for about an hour at 300-400 degrees and a nice black covering will protect it from rust.

I just foil the pan now. When I used water AND closed the cooker down to save coals I got some real messes. I'd leave the lid off, open all vents, and let her burn down if I were using water. I waste some coals that way.

Last edited:
Looks ok, but foil pan, no water get a terra cotta clay saucer foil that and sit on top of water pan. Just not that I use a 16" saucer for my 18.5" WSM, so I'm not sure of the size you'll need for a 22.5".

Looks normal to me, I prefer aluminum foil to a brush, I rarely clean my smoker beyond a quick brushing before the next cook. The grease will keep rust down.

Back