THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
When we first started cooking BBQ competitively, we decided to purchase a Lang 84 deluxe. We quickly found out that we would have to stay up all night to add that one log an hour to keep the cooker up to temperature. Staying up all night grew old very quickly. After a few months of research, we decided to purchase a Spicewine Large Cooker, because in our humble opinion it is the best made upright cooker on the market. If you have ever seen one, you would quickly realize that the craftsmenship is second to none.

It was very simple to learn the Spicewine. Using the water pan, we were able to get upwards of 6 hour burns at 225*. This was a big deal to us. Could you imagine 6 hours sleep when we were getting none.

We chose Spicewine because of the craftsmenship, support and Jay is a handsome devil, but I felt that we could get more burn time somehow. I read some threads about the BBQ Guru, but could never find any info on one being used with a Spicewine. Earlier this year we happened to cook at BBQ on the Farm in Yardley, Pa and our site was right next to the BBQ Guru folks. When I had some time I asked Shotgun Fred to come next door and have a look at the Spicewine. Fred said it should work if I could find a way to mount the Guru and make the cooker's firebox airtight.

After thinking about it, I decided to make a plate that would fit in place of one of the air inlets on the firebox door. I put a 1 3/8" hole in the middle to mount the Guru. For the other air inlet I make a blank plate to fit over it to make the firebox airtight.

We Purchased a Guru Competitor and gave it a first test. We found out that the coals were getting very very hot. We were running with the water pan dry because the steam from the water pan will cause the Guru to have errors in the temperature readings. As the temperature climbed we figured there must be another source of air beside the Guru that is fueling the coals. We figured that the only other source of air could be the chimnies. We closed each chinmey to about one third open and magically the heat died back with the Guru holding the temp to 225*. At first we thought there would be alot of acrid charcoal smoke in the cooker, but we were surprised to find very little smoke. We simply added strategically placed wood chunks for smoke. We wound up with a 12 hour burn before needing to add charcoal. At our last competition, Harpoon in Vermont, we used 30 lbs of charcoal to complete our cook. We arranged our charcoal in quasi Minion fashion and we were off to the races. I will post a drawing of the aluminum plates I made so you can try it too.

Guy - Glad ot hear you are able to sleep. I've got a Guru on a Bandera, and while I cannot get your burn-times i can get greatly extended times. What I've found is a great combination is the Guru and a Spice charcoal basket. The segmented basket slows the ignition process and keeps the number of coals lit to a minimum. With a Bandera, the Minion Method does not work too well because the thing leaks like a sive.

The guys from Guru are a nice bunch and give great customer service.

we used Vinnys medium spicebox at harpoon this weekend.

Half bag of Kingsford charcoal went into a charcoal maze. Fired it up at around 8pm. It took a while to get the intakes adjusted right but once it locked in, it was still running at 250 at the end of turnin time.. thats about 17 hours with nothing but damper adjustments. No fuel was added.

After cooking on Klose pits for years, even those need tending every 2-3 hours.. These spice boxes coast along forever.. as I said at the end of the day when vinny figured thew fuel consumption....

that just aint right.:eusa_clap

i gotta get me one of those. :mrgreen:

I have talked to the people at Guru, and I do install the Guru inductor to the firebox door, but I don't supply the Guru Unit itself. I do not make an extended burn modification because the one that works the best with my cooker is patented.

Spice

I have talked to the people at Guru, and I do install the Guru inductor to the firebox door, but I don't supply the Guru Unit itself. I do not make an extended burn modification because the one that works the best with my cooker is patented.

Spice

Your still a handsome devil though.....:eek: :biggrin:

The neat thing about the Guru is that the temperature did not budge one bit from 225* until we raised the Guru to 275* for the chicken and ribs where it locked at 275* for the duration. It was uncanny how the thermometer on the front panel and the Guru agreed and tracked each other. I just got a Miller 140 MIG welder for my birthday and plan to make a charcoal bin for the Spicewine for even longer burns. What a great cooker and temperature controller. It is sure sweet to be able to sleep all night.

I have an old stainless pot lid I picked up. I plan on welding 2 1/4" bolts to go through existing vents and a "T" bar and wingnuts on the inside. I will put a fitting in to adapt blower. I will use a gasket on pot lid. Easily removed and no alterations to Spicewine. Plus existing vent would difuse blast of air. I was thinking of controlling temp in firebox Vs cooking box. That way you can monitor temp and add subtract to get temp. This way you could use water. But instead of Guru I would be more inclined to go Stoker.

I was thinking of controlling temp in firebox Vs cooking box. That way you can monitor temp and add subtract to get temp. This way you could use water.
Guy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a big issue with using water and a Guru per se with a Spicewine, I think the problem arises when the fire gets too hot and you are making a lot of steam. I've used water and have not had an issue.

I have a large spice and came very close to ordering a stoker or a Guru and talked to Jimmy a little about it. I also talked to Fred but heck he was more interested in trying to sell me his new knock down than anything else.

I use about 3/4 a bag of rancher the rancher runs a little hotter the other I have tried but I also try to keep my temps at 225 on the second from top shelf.

I also run mine with about 2 gallons of water to start with and let it run dry works for me and I don't have temp spikes. run time for me is an easy 10 hours with out didlin with it but that is soo hard not to do:mrgreen:

the only damn problem I have is getting that big sumebitch to cool down to pack back up for the ride home.

right now I just don't see the need for one? but I have been wrong before just ask my wife :|

For sure, Guy had his pit locked in at 225 on the nose for hours...needle did not budge w the Guru..

As Phil noted, I had an incredible burn time w/o the Guru but using a charcoal basket for the first time. Probably would have pushed 24 hrs if I kept the vents open after turn ins. I just had a hard time finding the right air vent openings with the basket as it required a different setting than when not using a basket as I previously cooked. Small adjustments were all that were needed but took some time to see the result. When I was not seeing the temps adjust I kept tweaking and before Jorge and I knew it, we had made too many tweaks and had to go in the other direction. Finally seemed to figure it out and then it cruised for the most part with just some minor adjustments throughout the night and morning.

Phil, Jorge and I joked that we used more charcoal for the grilling categories in the Weber Kettle for a few hours than I used on the Spicebox for the big cooks. Went with 4 bags of Kingsford and came home with 2 1/2 bags. Phil also got nauseous when he saw my wood supply. A small grocery bag with about a dozen wood chunks that I had half left when we packed up to go home.

Guy was kind enough to have a second adaptor plate for me and I may look at the Guru as well. I talked with Shotgun Fred from Guru at the Harpoon contest and he was a very nice guy who answered all of my questions and had nice things to say about the Spicewine after coming over to my site to check out the Spicebox.

Guy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a big issue with using water and a Guru per se with a Spicewine, I think the problem arises when the fire gets too hot and you are making a lot of steam. I've used water and have not had an issue.

Richard,

The water is not recommended by the manufacturer. I think it's because little water droplets form on the thermocouple from the steam generated by the waterpan, cooling it slightly, therefore giving erroneous temperature readings which confuses the Guru.

Richard,

The water is not recommended by the manufacturer. I think it's because little water droplets form on the thermocouple from the steam generated by the waterpan, cooling it slightly, therefore giving erroneous temperature readings which confuses the Guru.

I thought a lot of the Backwoods guys use Gurus and water all of the time. I've seen Rickweiser and BBQ_Mayor use Gurus with water on their Backwoods. Isn't that right, Ray?

Interesting read, guys!

I thought a lot of the Backwoods guys use Gurus and water all of the time. I've seen Rickweiser and BBQ_Mayor use Gurus with water on their Backwoods. Isn't that right, Ray?

Interesting read, guys!

I've seen the BWS used with or without water with the Guru by others.. I'm not sure what the right answer is as far as not farking up the unit. However, I've been cooking dry and prefer it in the Spicebox.

Here's BBQ Guru's answer from their website
http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqDisplayList1.cfm?categoryID=30&parentID=210&pageHeader=Hot%20Topics&CatImageFolder=bbqHotTopics

Just One Final Question: Can I use the Guru and a water pan?
Answer: It is not a good idea. The water pan will fool the Guru. The cooler water vapor in the cooking chamber or dome makes the controller call for more heat. The actual fire then becomes too hot, and the temperature of your pit will bounce up and down.

The water pan will actually buck the controller. You simply don’t need a primitive control when you have a real modern day electronic control on the job.

You can load all the charcoal fuel you want at the start of the cook and not worry about it getting out of control if you want to go about your life; sleep, party, play golf, mow the grass, or go fishing. Now you’re in control!

With a large Spicewine, how big of a fan would you need to buy on the Guru? Obviously 4 cfm is too small. Is 10 cfm big enough or would you go 25? In reading their site, I'd GUESS 10 is fine but what are some of you guys using on the spice?

With a large Spicewine, how big of a fan would you need to buy on the Guru? Obviously 4 cfm is too small. Is 10 cfm big enough or would you go 25? In reading their site, I'd GUESS 10 is fine but what are some of you guys using on the spice?

Fred told me 25 cfm for the Medium. He said you can always use less air and dampen it down on the control, but it you get the 10 cfm and it's not enough or you need more power to cook hotter, you're in a tough spot.

Guy had a 25 on his Large and by all accounts it seems to be just right.

Back