THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GammaRei

Full Fledged Farker
A friend of mine sent me an article from the NY Times. The article is about their recommendation of what brand charcoal is the best. I was reading through the article and came across a neat find, the Brethren were mentioned:

"In 2015, we focused our testing only on charcoal briquets. We assembled our list of contenders after researching reviews on Amazon, The Naked Whiz, and Patio Daddio BBQ, hunting down recommendations on forums like The BBQ Brethren, and looking at our own results from the previous year. That left us with seven main contenders.".

I haven't finished reading the article, but they took about 4 years to come to a conclusion. I dont know why it would take them that long. But I wanted to share it with all of you and spur some discussion about charcoal and this article. The article is linked below.

"The Best Charcoal For Grilling" - New York Times

Grain of salt here.....I'm sure the New York Times reporters are experts in all things BBQ, given their locale, their readership, and vast experience in rolling real smoke in the Big City. :rolleyes:
I know and the NY Times annoys me frequently. I just thought that it would be nice for us to discuss what they did and how we would do it differently. If there were any spots where anyone thought their tests were biased. If you would like to just discredit them for being from the Big City, than so be it. Maybe I should have looked elsewhere for a constructive discussion regarding barbecue.

- G

Royal Oak briquettes number one? They must have done these tests several years ago. The last two bags I purchased about a year ago were of less quality than I remember their brand having several years before. I found them unsuitable for grilling on the Weber Kettle because the coals burned quickly and did not put out much heat. I had the same results when using the newer version of Royal Oak in the WSM. I might try their lump charcoal again, but I am done using the Royal Oak briquettes.

Royal Oak briquettes number one? They must have done these tests several years ago. The last two bags I purchased about a year ago were of less quality than I remember their brand having several years before. I found them unsuitable for grilling on the Weber Kettle because the coals burned quickly and did not put out much heat. I had the same results when using the newer version of Royal Oak in the WSM. I might try their lump charcoal again, but I am done using the Royal Oak briquettes.
I thought it was odd as well. I really dont have many places around me that carry Royal Oak. I mostly live in Kingsford country, so thats what I have experience with. I have had some good results with it, most likely due to my experience with it. But this test was odd. A friend of mine sent me a link to a WSM website that did the same type of test with coals. I think that their results were different.

- G

I used this one for my last cook. There are some large chunks and even pieces of branch in it. I burns very clean and hot. Don't know if it has a name other than what's on the bag or who produces it. It was on bogo at Publix a few weeks back and I'm glad I tried it. anyone familiar with it?

Attachments

• Lump.jpg
    Lump.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 8
I used this one for my last cook. There are some large chunks and even pieces of branch in it. I burns very clean and hot. Don't know if it has a name other than what's on the bag or who produces it. It was on bogo at Publix a few weeks back and I'm glad I tried it. anyone familiar with it?
Not to hijack the thread, but Costco is putting the Kingsford Professional on sale starting Wednesday. $5.50 off the twin 18 lb. bags, so that would be under $20, limit 3.

i get them a lot cuz they're fairly cheap and readily available. plus I typically only use about half a chimney worth anyway just to get my coal bed going on the stick burner. for the most part, by the time I get the smoker heated up an rolling good the briquets are pretty much done and I'm running pure wood by then. when i was using my WSM I used it a lot mostly cuz it was cheaper than Kingsford, I didn't have a problem with RO briq and I didn't have many options to get better stuff close by so it kinda just became my standard charcoal

i get them a lot cuz they're fairly cheap and readily available. plus I typically only use about half a chimney worth anyway just to get my coal bed going on the stick burner. for the most part, by the time I get the smoker heated up an rolling good the briquets are pretty much done and I'm running pure wood by then. when i was using my WSM I used it a lot mostly cuz it was cheaper than Kingsford, I didn't have a problem with RO briq and I didn't have many options to get better stuff close by so it kinda just became my standard charcoal
We primarily have Kingsford in my area, I have found B&B, Lazzari Mesquite, Prime 6, and a couple of other types around here in the Bay Area. But KF is readily found and available, creates a bit of consistency with cooks.

- G

Thanks for the costco sale tip! I'm burning sticks in a Lang this year, and that's a new and exciting thing for me. One followed me home during the winter from an estate sale. I haven't posted that story yet.

'tis the time of year to create a thread to post our charcoal deals. At least I hope their are deals. And a key part is the quality feedback, in case it has been changed.

I thought this stuff would be better than it was last year. Not that good. Cowboy briq, 2x20 lbs for 17.92.

Walmart shows B&B Competition oak briq, $9.97 for 17.6 lbs. And they are apparently a new item at my local store.

For delivery I see B&B comp logs, 8.97 for 15 lbs.

Back