THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a 9lb pork loin currently sitting in brine. I used Smokin Okie's brine of:
1 Gal water
1/2 C. Kosher salt
1/2 C. White Sugar
Onion
2 Bay leafs (he calls for 3)

Anyway, I cut my loin in half so I could try a couple things with it. Some of my readings here say, remove at 140* and tent. Other's say to wrap at 160* and take it to 190*, so I thought I'd try it both ways.

QUESTION #1: If I want this for lunch tomorrow, 12:00PM, when should this go on my UDS? I plan to cook 225-250*, maybe even closer to 250 with my iq110.

Question #2: Does it matter which end I cook each way? Fat end vs. tapered end?

With the 140* loin you should have nice tender sliced pork, I would think wrapping it and taking it to 190* will leave you with either dry pork or something resembling pullled pork.

I had my wife's uncle bring me some "pork" to smoke for pulled pork. Turns out it was those pre-marinated pork loins. So I did, and it did fall apart eventually, and it definitely wasn't the best pulled pork I've ever had.

#1. I'd cook them both to 140* (because that's what I prefer) and I would also cook it hotter around 275* and hope for 2 hrs.

#2. If you decide to do one each way, for me I would cook the one fat end to 140* because I could keep the doneness more uniform.

Sorry if that's not super helpful, hopefully someone with more experience cooking loin to 190* will come along shortly. Who knows, it may be awesome and I just farked it up. Good luck either way. :thumb:

I put them on the smoker for 1 hour unwrapped to let the meat get some smoke. Then i foil and cook them at 275 degrees until they reach internal temp of 120. Then I take them off the smoker and put them over coals or gas grill and char the outside(reverse sear) until the internal temp reaches 140 degrees. I save the juices that were in the foil, set the loin back in the foil and pour the juices back over the loin and let it rest for 20 minutes.

I like a reverse sear on a pork loin. Remove from the sear when meat hits 140, and don't wrap tightly in foil for the rest period as it will overcook. just a light tent of foil for 15-30 minutes. The meat should be a perfect 145 and still super moist with a nice crust.

Save the cooking to 190 style deal for butts and picnics. Loins are too lean for that IMO.

Back