THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Yesterday the Missus and I went to the LA Farmer's Market to scope out the meat counter I had heard very good things about. I couldn't help but notice they had Snake River Farms Tri-Tip at $16.99 per pound. That sure seemed like a good deal to me, esp with the NY Strips at $79.99 per pound. At the very front of the window there was a really choice well marbled specimen that was calling my name. I chose that one, along with some USDA Prime boneless short ribs and we were off and running.

Here's the Kobe Tri-Tip in the package after we brought it home:

IMG_3697.jpg

Out of the package:

IMG_3699.jpg

Since it was just the two of us, the Missus and I decided to cut the meat in half, cook the tail end, and freeze the other portion for another meal. When I cut into it, this is what I saw:

IMG_3702.jpg

It sure looked like we were going to be in for a treat! I seasoned the meat with sea salt and seasoned pepper and let it sit for a while so the meat could come up to room temp:

IMG_3709.jpg

Our kitten Purrdy is a carnivore through and through, and we have learned that it is not good to leave meat of any kind on the counter unattended. I turned my back for a few seconds, and sure enough, he was on the prowl for some Kobe:

IMG_0997.jpg

Sorry, Purrd, no treats for you tonight! :hand:

I fired up the Kingsford Oval for the usual indirect/reverse sear, and added a chunk of Pecan for smoke:

IMG_3712.jpg

Here it is about 3/4 into the cook:

IMG_3715.jpg

Once the meat reached about 115 degrees internal, I put it on the hot side for a nice hot sear, and pulled it when it reached 130. Time for a nice quiet rest:

IMG_3716.jpg

Meanwhile, the Missus had baked some fresh baguettes in the oven, and prepared a delicious salad from greens in our garden.

Time to carve. I kept a few pieces of the bread handy to soak up any extra juices:

IMG_3719.jpg

And here it is, after I carved a few pieces off:

IMG_3722.jpg

This was the finest beef I have eaten yet. It was filet-tender, and the flavor was indescribably rich. I will certainly be doing this again!

Holy cow, that looks great. Looks like it'd be worth the trip to head over to the LA farmer's market! I've never been, where is it exactly?

While I admit that it looks GREAT, I am a bit worried about you. I read that all Snake River Farms Tri-Tip sold in your area is tainted and eating more than one serving in a year could be fatal. I read in your post that you saved some of that dangerous meat, too. Let me to encourage you to get rid of it ASAP. It won't be good after a year and I don't want you and the missus to get really sick. I happen to be a certified beef disposal expert and would be happy to properly dispose of it - I'll even pay shipping, just to ensure you're safe. That's just the kinda guy I am. :)

Holy cow, that looks great. Looks like it'd be worth the trip to head over to the LA farmer's market! I've never been, where is it exactly?

The Farmer's Market is at 3rd and Fairfax; the meat counter I got the Kobe at is called Huntington Meats. Here's the link to the Farmer's Market:

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

And for Huntington Meats:

http://huntingtonmeats.com/

I'd call ahead and make sure they have it, or even have them reserve one for you. I also notice they ship anywhere...for those of you not in the LA area.

Looks fantastic - another great post!

I like that butcher - that's where I've been getting my briskets (they're not Snake River Farms but they're good). They also have good boneless pork butt for sausage & the other butcher in the market has good bone-in pork butts.

If you like to eat food that will kill you (and I do sometimes) the donut shop there has amazing apple fritters.

Back