KCBS at it again!!

Mutha Chicken BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I know there is already a discussion going on in the "For the Board" section, But I thought that it merited a posting in general area as well.

well for those of you who have not been informed or have, It seems as though KCBS is at it again. They are going to discuss the nepotism policy again. We had a board member table this last year after a great amount of flack from the community.

The policy they want to introduce, Nepotism, Would in fact not allow Merl Whitebrook to run for office again as his wife Carolyn is already a member. She was voted in last time. I feel it is unjust as KCBS was founded by a family, Has been a family, and for all intents and purposes proports itself as a family sport and eviroment.

Now it is being requested from a member in good standing that the board take the issue up again. I wrote to the board and expressed my laments that they would consider it. As a member in good standing why is it that anothers wishes means more to the board then the others????

Aparently there is a petition going around, Although I have yet to see it.
just seems very underhanded to me. It apears for all intents and purposes to be a head hunting expedition.

I urge any members for or against to express your thoughts to the board.

http://kcbs.us/about_board.php

And Merl, you have been the only board member to continually update the membership through you postings on every message board out there. And for that I thank you! And hope this is defeated. Again!!!

Thank you for that information. I don't really follow the inner workings and politics that go on within organizations much so I appreciate it when something of importance is brought to light so even us "blind folk" can see it.

I just sent this to the BOD:

I hear that this subject is again before the board. I feel that we (the KCBS membership) already have a nepotism policy. It is called "The Ballot Box". Each & every candidate for any elective office, be it private, corporate or public, should be evaluated and voted for / against on their OWN merits. If some one feels that there should be no family members serving together, then that person can and proably should vote against any and all candidates that fall under the heading of family members.

Thank you,
Dave Compton
KCBS CBJ # 22569

ps - I agree that Merle has been an asset to the BOD & he does keep us a lot more informed than we would be without him.

Last edited:
Email sent and received replies from Carol Whitebook,Rod Grey,Merl Whitebook,Linda Mullane,Troy Black. Pretty fast responces, though not a consensus on the topic.

I agree, here is a copy of the letter I sent...

Dear KCBS Officers and Board of Directors..

It has been rumored among members of KCBS and those of us that are actively involved with BBQ Blogs,and forums that individuals within KCBS have again come forward attempting to impose a nepotism policy in an attempt to keep one officer of KCBS from running again.(Merl Whitebook specifically).
This is a sport and hobby that my family and I have enjoyed and love very much, and one that has brought us closer together. It pains me to learn that individuals with personal agendas are approaching you, wanting you to pass polices and procedures to help them hurt individual(s) they disagree with or dislike. It pains me that they are using all of you as their tool in accomplishing their personal agenda's.
I would hope that we(KCBS) have other issues more pressing and of more concern then to carry out personal attacks and agendas on individuals on this board, a board that has been placed by us, the members of this organization.It has also been rumored that a petition is being ciruclated regarding this, but at the time of this email I have not seen it.
On a personal point of privilege I would like to say that I have met Merl Whitebook on several occasions here in Colorado at KCBS sanctioned contests and consider him a friend. I can tell you from my perspective of being a Police Officer for over 15 years, I'm a pretty good judge of character of individuals, kind of vital for the job. With that being said I have found Merl to be an individual that is sincere and cares a great deal for this sport, the people involved in it and also listening to all of us that have spoke to him asking for his guidance, suggestions and opinions. He has ALWAYS taking time and represented KCBS with style and class, as would be expected.
But what has impressed me most with Merl is that he is an active voice. You can always find Merl on a number of BBQ forums answering questions, giving advice and keeping us all up to date.Not to cast stones at anyone, but Merl is one of the few that I have seen that does this. I think this alone speaks volumes about him and his dedication to KCBS and its members.He knows the members, our concerns and what we feel will help this organization continue to be the best this sport has to offer.
I am asking that as Officers and Board members of KCBS that any and all plans to impose a nepotism policy be REJECTED Should such a policy be passed I'm sure that many members of KCBS as well as myself will petition both Officers and Board of Directors regarding this.
I hope that this issue is resolved and that you, as a board collectively will address more important and pressing issues, concerns and improvement ideas that come to you to better this sport and hobby that we all truly love. I look forward to hearing from each of you regarding this email and respect each of your positions that you have been elected to. Please do the right thing for our organization and what you know to be right within your heart. Thank you for your time and reading this.
--
Chuck Marting (Bossman)
Bossman Bar-B-Que
bossmanbbq@gmail.com
www.bossmanbbq.com

If I can be serious for a moment...

When this issue came up last year, and the ensuing debate that went on within the Board and on the Net...

It was my last straw.

Parrothead and I took a KCBS judging class in Chicago as soon as we found one. I think it was Feb. of 2004 or so.

I looked forward to competing one day, and would judge in the mean time.

A hurricane in Key Largo in 2005 kept Greg, Me, and Phil from hooking up on a get-a-way vacation slash judging comp.

(PS, I am guessing on the years above)

Fast forward to last year, and I fully admit, I was not able to judge as of yet.

But then the nepotism crap started.

My membership came up Feb of 2007 and I tossed the renewal in the trash.

I know politics.

I grew up and live in Chicago.

I though BBQ was for fun. What I saw last year, with the way the Board tried to squash change, sickened me.

I am done with KCBS.

They got a no vote of confidence from me, and I didnt renew.

So I'm not a member, or a judge anymore.

Boo.

Hoo.

I am still disgusted by the actions of the "good ole boys" network in KCBS.

My solution:

Total replacement

2 from Midwest, 2 from NorthEast, 2 From South, 2 from West, 1 from Cali, 1 from Florida, one from Texas (since they think KCBS is bunkus)

Talk about a well balanced board

Sorry folks, but the BS in KCBS doesnt meant Bull Sheet, it means Bull Chit

You lost me, and will lose more with this kinda crap

\
But what has impressed me most with Merl is that he is an active voice. You can always find Merl on a number of BBQ forums answering questions, giving advice and keeping us all up to date.Not to cast stones at anyone, but Merl is one of the few that I have seen that does this. I think this alone speaks volumes about him and his dedication to KCBS and its members.He knows the members, our concerns and what we feel will help this organization continue to be the best this sport has to offer.
\

Unfortunately, this is not considered a positive with a BoD that prefers to work without oversight and almost in anonymity. I have a suspicion that Merl's willingness to keep the membership in the loop adds to the consternation of the people behind the nepotism proposal.

I would suggest that anyone who is writing to just state your opposition to the proposed change to the bylaws, including why you believe the way that you do.

To me, any attempt to limit who I can or can not vote for is an affront to my intelligence and is not taken lightly.

Others have said it better than I can. We already have a mechanism for eliminating nepotism if we choose to to do so. We have a mechanism for eliminating any other potential problem if we choose to use it. It's the ballot box.

Eric

Eric

It seems as though KCBS is at it again. They are going to discuss the nepotism policy again.

The policy they want to introduce, Nepotism, Would in fact not allow Merl Whitebrook to run for office again as his wife Carolyn is already a member. She was voted in last time.

Aparently there is a petition going around,

I urge any members for or against to express your thoughts to the board.

I was a KCBS member for 5 years. I am not now, so maybe this will fall on dead ears. I posted this definition under another thread, the whole thread is gone I think? I will post it again.

nep⋅o⋅tism 

patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics: She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.

The key word is in red. The family member was not elected!

Maybe the people soliciting the petition don't want family members serving on the BoD, fine, most people have a reason for things, good or bad, just don't label it incorrectly.

And before I could write the BoD's pro or con, I would need to see the petition to make an informed decision, as I would think anyone would? Maybe some of you that have respond to the BoD have seen this petition and can direct the rest of us to it?

It was my last straw.

I know politics. I grew up and live in Chicago.

I am done with KCBS. They got a no vote of confidence from me, and I didn't renew.

You sound somewhat like me. I finally gave up after years of writing to BoD and getting no response, not that I did not like the answer, I mean 5 years of no response, nada!

I am not done with KCBS, I am just on the sideline. Someone once told me forever was a long time and as I get older I understand what they meant.

Believe me, even if you have members from all over the country you can have a "good ole boys" network! You need the Society to be more open and yes, much more responsive to members inquiries. You may not agree with me and you sure may never implement anything I suggest, but could throw me a bone and just acknowledge that I tried to contact you?

When this issue came up last year, and the ensuing debate that went on within the Board and on the Net...

It was my last straw.

Parrothead and I took a KCBS judging class in Chicago as soon as we found one. I think it was Feb. of 2004 or so.

I looked forward to competing one day, and would judge in the mean time.

A hurricane in Key Largo in 2005 kept Greg, Me, and Phil from hooking up on a get-a-way vacation slash judging comp.

(PS, I am guessing on the years above)

Fast forward to last year, and I fully admit, I was not able to judge as of yet.

But then the nepotism crap started.

I know politics.

I grew up and live in Chicago.

I though BBQ was for fun. What I saw last year, with the way the Board tried to squash change, sickened me.

I am done with KCBS.

They got a no vote of confidence from me, and I didnt renew.

Boo.

Hoo.

My solution:

Total replacement

2 from Midwest, 2 from NorthEast, 2 From South, 2 from West, 1 from Cali, 1 from Florida, one from Texas (since they think KCBS is bunkus)

Talk about a well balanced board

Sorry folks, but the BS in KCBS doesnt meant Bull Sheet, it means Bull Chit

You lost me, and will lose more with this kinda crap

Funny...I tried several times writing a letter to the board tonight, each time to throw it away in frustration.. and it was a nearly identical thought process as willkats. If it wasnt for my love of the hobby and sport of BBQ and The Brethren, this would be a last straw for me too. I am ready to give up on KCBS too, but I won't out of respect for those that do try to do whats right. I want to see the organization excel. But they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot!. Hopefully they will handle this situation with the membership in mind.

Keep in mind, unlike last year, I THINK THIS IS A PETITION BROUGHT FORTH BY A MEMBER and NOT THE BOARD ITSELF. HOPING TO BE CORRECTED IF I AM WRONG, BUT I BELIEVE THE BOARD WOULD HAVE TO BRING THIS TO THE TABLE. THEN FOR A VOTE AND THEN AN AMENDMENT VOTED ON BY THE MEMBERSHIP. A BYLAW HOWEVER CAN BE CHANGED UNILATERALLY WITHOUT A VOTE. I am going to reserve judgment until I make a few calls tomorrow to discover the source and content of this petition or request and how it would be handled at the meeting, if at all. If anything, a request should be made to table it until next month so we can line our ducks in a row.

On a personal note, I was approached by many this year, asking me to run for the board. Unlike the previous year, I could not answer them right away. I considered it for several months and I declined in the 11th hour.

Early this past summer, when first approached, my initial reaction was to not run, and the PRIMARY REASON was the embarrassment I felt for KCBS last year after the election when they decided to waste important cycles of the BOD on a witch hunt and petty infighting about various topics. The amount of time wasted, not only by the board, but by the membership in responding to the nepotism debate could have been better spent working on the judging rules, rep guidelines, contests, or things that were of importance to the membership. On the other hand, i felt that if i was there, i may be able to help those that are forward looking and truly acting in the best interest of KCBS as a national organization. What finally made up my mind was the nominee pool and I would rather see those folks on the board. And here we are again, an I am glad I chose not to run. I think if this goes too far, for too long, this can be another black eye for our organization.

Nepotism was AN OBVIOUS NON ISSUE to the membership when Carol Whitebrook was voted in by a huge margin. We have already voted, and nepotism does not hold up in a family oriented sport. It is truly a shame that OUR organization may again sour its own membership but they may also do the right thing which may or may not be to our satisfaction, bu tbe in the best interest of the organization, which I can live with if explained properly.

IMO, Regardless of whose running, be it 3 brothers, or a husband and wife, WE should be the ones to decide. If WE, the membership , doesnt want the three brothers, or husband/wife to be at the table then WE don't vote for them... But I want to make that decision, not have the board room do it.

At this point, regardless of how the topic was brought to the board, its important that we get our message across one way or the other.. so let you board members know how you feel.

My solution:

Total replacement

A-freaking-men.

And both the Midwest officers should be Whitebooks.

It absolutely stuns me that anyone as responsive to the membership as Merle should provoke such ongoing petty backstabbing. If transparency to the membership threatens the rest of the Board so terribly much, perhaps that's the red flag that should draw our attention, not the utter non-issue of nepotism -- which, by the way, cannot exist in an ELECTED position.

I sent my e-mail to the BOD at 8:15 pm tonite. As of 11:00 pm I have gotten two responses:

This was submitted by a member, not a board member. I don't foresee any board member bringing this up for a vote. In fact, I would be very surprised if there is even any discussion regarding the matter. We addressed this issue earlier in the year. It's over, as far as I'm concerned. I do not support it, didn't have ANYTHING to do with it's origination or circulation.
Troy Black

I think that is defintion of America. Some want KCBS to be a 3rd world county. Thank you for writing to the Board and your support.
Merl

Both of these came in within 45 minutes.

Phil, Carol, Merl, and all the current Board,,

I think I regreat posting what I said up thread.

Although my thoughts were quoted, please don't take that as an attack on what you do

I commend you on what you are doing for your sport.

I just want to get that out there.

I dont agree on alot of things, so I chose not to renew,

But never was it meant as a slight.

Just want to get that out there before my post might be misconstrued.

I think the individuals are fine, but the organization as the whole is not something I can pull for at this time.

But what do I know? I am working on my USA Swimming certification for my kid, so my voice means nothing anyway, since I chose to focus my efforts elsewhere.

Kinda sorry I posted here Phil, as I know this part of the forum is serious.

I was serious when I posted, but I really do need to STFU in the Comp forum, since its this Nepo chit that makes my voice sound stupid

Way too many of you folks spend good $ on this stuff, I do not.

I'm going to my room now and will STFU

Sorry if I caused a ruckus

I won't post here again.

I really do wish you all the best with this stuff.

Sorry if I caused a stir

My letter:

Greetings,

I am writing to express my utter frustration and disappointment with the fact that OUR board (remember that, please) is tabling the nepotism issue yet again.

My wife and I compete and promote not only the sport of BBQ but the KCBS and its efforts and results.

I have a simple question:

How can there be nepotism when the board members are ELECTED??? It should not matter who is running - if they get elected they deserve to serve and represent the membership. This organization was started by a HUSBAND and WIFE!

Your time should be spent working on the judging rules, rep guidelines, contests, promotions, or things that are of importance to the membership. Not petty infighting.

Please show some maturity, some common sense and an understanding of who you represent...we, the members. I urge you to not only vote this down but to explain to the membership the reason why this is an issue and why it was brought up again this year.

Your attention has been appreciated.

Regards,

Kinda sorry I posted here Phil, as I know this part of the forum is serious.

I was serious when I posted, but I really do need to STFU in the Comp forum, since its this Nepo chit that makes my voice sound stupid

Way too many of you folks spend good $ on this stuff, I do not.

I'm going to my room now and will STFU

Sorry if I caused a ruckus

I won't post here again.

I really do wish you all the best with this stuff.

Sorry if I caused a stir

guess i shouldnt have quoted your post.. I was only using it as a lead in to my thoughts. (not directing it at you)

IMO Bill, your post could have been signed by ALOT of people. Its a frustration felt by lots of folks(me included).

PS, doubt anyone took that as a 'slight'

How quick you all are to jump to conclusions!

I see terms like "witch hunt" and "back stabbing" tossed around from folks who say they've not seen the petition in question and don't know who initiated it. It seems to me like a lot of people are getting all worked up over what amounts to gossip.

As for me, I choose to reserve judgment until I've examined the facts rather than react to rumors. Certainly it's possible that the petition I signed was started by someone with a hidden agenda, but that's not the way it was presented to me. If that was the case then I might regret that motivation, but the basic concept behind the suggested rule change is still sound. As an advocate for transparency and expecting a higher ethical standard for the KCBS administration I would think Merl would understand why putting the issue to a vote of the full membership is the best way to put the question to rest once and for all.

The election of two people to the board is not nepotism, nepotism is giving advantage to family and friends. Elections do not allow that to happen. So if your signing "nepotism" petitions to eliminate family members from running for an elected position consider the reasons behind it very carefully. We all do what we want based on the facts as we understand them. Second. There are two ways to voice your disapproval. First, vote as you feel. Second, and more deeply felt, vote with your wallet, and tell KCBS how you really feel. Money talks and BS walks. With all the problems existing in KCBS competitions and sponsorship there are a splinter group of people who find a way to waste time and resources. Whether this is for personal gain or a misunderstanding, who knows. But come on, lets get the board to solving real problems. Scott

Bill - I think you're right on in a lot of ways.

I too have chosen not to renew my membership at this time so I will not be able to vote. I work too hard to give away even $35 to an organization that does not seem to have their act together in so many areas. Don't get me wrong, there are good BOD members trying their hardest but aside from the Bullsheet, I'm still trying to determine what benefits there are to being a member who may not compete but loves BBQ. The Bullsheet becomes nothing more than five minutes of bathroom reading material each month.

I wish everyone the best in resolving these issues but to me some of these issues become some of the most childish nonsense I have ever read.

It's farking BBQ !!!!

Back