What to smoke?¿?¿?

Nate4e

So my new-used smoker has cooked some awesome fatties and the best ribs ever. Trying to think of something to do next. Looking for something pretty easy as I'm still learning how this thing runs. I have a turkey in the freezer but I'm not sure if I'm ready to tend a fire for 6+ hours. I was thinking maybe a butt, anyone have any other suggestions??? ...the smoker is a vertical offset.

If you want some relatively quick, go for a rib roast. Smoke with your choice of wood at 325F until internal temp reaches 125F. Then rest for about 20-30 minutes.

You are looking at about 3 hours max and it's delicous.

You don't want to do a turkey because you're not ready to tend a fire for 6+ hours, but you're thinking about a butt that will take twice as long at 225? :confused:

I guess you could do a high heat butt and cook it at 325 - 350, but that's still probably 5 hours.

Depending on how big the turkey is it shouldn't take 6 hours. I cook mine at 325 and a 14 lb. bird is done in 3 - 4 hours.

How about some chicken? You could do a spatchcocked chicken in a couple of hours.

...was thinking of finishing the butt in the oven. On the other hand, could do the same with the turkey.

Back