Thermapen Protection

HOPTOAD

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wife got me a stealth black thermapen for my birthday:clap2:. She threw in the zippered pouch for storage protection. Just wondering what you all use for protection while in use. I have seen the options from Thermoworks but couldnt find any other cases online. I know they are out there, I just cant find them. It can be a silicone boot or a hard cover just something to protect it from drops and whatnot.

p.s. Just wondering how many brethren pulled a HOPTOAD and damaged the plastic on the battery case (opening w a screwdriver) within the first 10 minutes of recieveing their unit.:mmph:

Thanks
HOPTOAD

I doubt that you will find any third-party cases. Even though Termapens are all the rage on the Brethren and with chefs, the market isn't really that big.

I don't use any protection :shock: I have the weatherproof version and just wipe it off with a damp towel and then a Clorox wipe before I put it away after a cook.

I have to ask... Why were you opening the battery compartment? I don't think I've had to do that on any of mine.

I don't use anything for mine at home, but for competitions, we use the silicone boots with the magnets in them so we can always have it on the pit and the "just in case of rain" factor.

I have mine in a restaurant kitchen. The older model sits on the shelf with no protection and the the one I have is in my back pocket.

Just a side story. Last night we were really busy and I had put my "slightly slower than the original red" splashproof yellow T'pen down. The guy I was working with moved it to the dish rack next to the sink full of water. I am looking around for about 10 trying to find it. I just happen to walk by the sink and glance at the water and find my T'pen floating in the water. I have no idea how long it had been in there. I pulled it out, dried it off, took the batteries out and checked for water in the case. I didn't see any water and none ran out. Put the batteries back in and it is working like nothing happened. Did I mention I love my T'pen.

Sorry for the hijack.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

I have to ask... Why were you opening the battery compartment? I don't think I've had to do that on any of mine.

I just HAD to have that extra decimal place appear on the display.. Whole numbers just are not exact enough.:wink: In order to it to so the decimal point appears you have to flip a switch located under the battery cover.

I just HAD to have that extra decimal place appear on the display.. Whole numbers just are not exact enough.:wink: In order to it to so the decimal point appears you have to flip a switch located under the battery cover.

That must be new. I haven't bought one in a couple of years but all of mine read to the tenth of a degree and I've never flipped a switch. I wonder when they changed that?

To answer your original post I simply use a old style eye glass case that opens at one end. Works like a charm and the eye glass stores usually give them away.
Cheers!

call up Galco and see if they can make a holster. Just kidding you could by another T-pen for the cost of a good holster. I keep mine in the original packaging and in my pocket at cooks.

I don't use any protector on mine either. I am careful with it but I do use it in the kitchen and even load it up when we head out in the motorhome for a few days of "Roughing it Smoothly". Guess I need to get one for the coach,too. Haven't seen the need to explore the innards???

I use the zippered case when storing in my portable bin which carries the pit essentials (Thermometers, Lighters, ect.), and I also put the silicone boot on mine just for added protection (no magnets).

Back