Suggested new optional prize category

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am interested in your thoughts and or feedback on a recent idea that popped out of the deep recesses of my pea brain. I was thinking about the cooks meeting at a contest when they ask the question how many teams are competing for the first time. It seems to me, there is always a fair number that raise their hands. What would you think about the inclusion of a new prize category, the top two first time teams overall?? This would not be mandatory, and only suggested to contest organizers. The prizes could be ribbons or medals, no money, in order to keep the cost down. Teams would only be eligible for the prize on their first foray into the world of competition BBQ cooking.

I think it would serve at least two purposes:

1) Recognize the efforts of a newly formed team starting out on the BBQ trail.

2) Stimulate interest in the team members in hearing their name called and walking to the stage.

There would have to be some guidelines setup as to what constitutes a new team, I don't think this would be a huge issue. I think that the addition work on the organizers and contest reps would be minimal compared to the long term benefits to the entire process.

Most teams that I have seen will go out of their way to help a new team. I think offing a small amount of recognition to those just starting out would go a long way in growing and promoting the sport overall.

thoughts?

I think that would be a great way to reward new cooks and keep them coming back.

The thought is nice, but this sounds alot like the way they are giving kids trophy's just for showing up to play. You need to buck up and work for it before you can get recognized. A pat on the back and a hope to see you next time is all it took for us to keep going.

I like it ... assuming more then one first time team is at a comp. At first glance, the only possible downside I see is a new team (or new team name) formed by experienced comp cooks ... that would kind of be a downer for the new teams that came in behind them. I see you addressed that thought too.

Or even if not a prize, recognition to the highest place first time team right before they announce the overall top 10 (if they are not part of the top 10). Or if they are part of the top 10, mention it's their first comp as well.

I'd envision something like a small simple gift basket of rubs or sauces and recognition during the awards.

Last edited:
I am gonna change my team name every contest to try and win an award. I think that is a great idea.

Who will be responsible to verify whether or not it is really a first time team or not? Are you going to exempt contest organizers, reps, and board members? Just along the lines of another thread...

Who will be responsible to verify whether or not it is really a first time team or not? Are you going to exempt contest organizers, reps, and board members? Just along the lines of another thread...

Many contest applications already ask the question. I don't think it would be a major issue to verify. Certainly, some reliance on the honor system, much of the contest circumstances already involves individual trust.

If they are being given something along the lines of a ribbon, I think it's a great idea.

If someone is going to try to find a work around so that they win a ribbon, then they clearly have bigger problems than we can handle in a BBQ contest and they can just have it.

Eric

we worked damn hard at our first comp, placed right in the middle of the pack. I was more than happy with just that, second comp took home 3rd place brisket...How about if you dont get it right the first time you just keep trying and improving, you'll get something if it was meant to be.

Too much hand holding and coddling imho

I agree. I don't even like Backyard Divisions at contests.

I disagree, i think that the backyard division gives teams a chance to get their feet wet in competition. I had never cooked a contest until the Hoosierdaddy in New Albany. i had done a few rib and chicken cook offs, but that was it. It ave me and idea on timing and other things for when i actually start doing the KCBS cooks next year. If anything i think it got me hooked even more.

Back