BBQ Brethren "ZERO" Throwdown!

I'm not sure I want to be in this throwdown now that anybody can enter. After enduring the trauma of actually earning a zero, it just seems wrong for non-zeros to be able to enter. I'm thinking about organizing an Occupy the Zeros Throwdown movement.

We need to protect the sanctity of the zero.

CD

Maybe we need a good polling?:heh: It's been a long time since we had a really good polling around here.:heh:

So tonight I finally got around to making one of my favorites. It is a simple smoked salmon pasta dish that I make several times a year. Since there are only two of us I usually freeze the rest and eat on it as time goes by. Luckily for me this also happens to be the same dish that garnered a zero in the FNG TD:

1750391_colonel00.jpg

This time around I didn't have time for the fancy setup and the random angler beer. Then again, I now suspect that all you Jayhawk haters are the reason I got a zero before :tsk:. Anyway, as I reviewed my previous entry I found a double bonus. It seems that Al Czervik really loved it the first time around as evidenced here:

Colonel this looks just like a dish I had last weekend that was absolutely fantastic. YUM!

and here:

Please do put together the thread/description... I'd love to add it to our favorites tab! I would have already burst your bubble if I was paying better attention to the entries. Alas I have no more votes to cast.

So, for obvious reasons this shall be an entry into Al's Birthday suit Throwdown. Obviously this is a guaranteed winner if the birthday boy himself loves it. He even offered to burst my bubble, whatever that means NTTAWWT :tsk: Maybe not, but it was finally a chance to share this simple dish so Al could cook it in some upcoming TD and win with it.

So I started out with a simple grocery list: A pound of farfalle pasta, some cooking wine, a little EVOO, a jar of roasted red pepper alfredo sauce (yeah, I went all out), some peppers, peas, onions, mushrooms and such. In the middle is some fancy crab meat, literally :tsk:. When I went to the grocery store I didn't realize that the second biggest thing to cook on Christmas after rib roast was real crab meat and to my surprise they were out. I thought about checking another store but it was far and it too was surely affected by this rush for crab meat. Oh yeah, I also pulled out a couple salmon filets I smoked just the other month :roll:

002.jpg

IMAG0465.jpg

So, we start with all the chopped peppers, mushrooms and onions in a sauce pan with a little EVOO. Not really caramelizing, just cooking until they are softened.

012-2.jpg

As it was going I decided to add some garlic because, well, I like garlic.

013-1.jpg

Soon the peppers were nice and soft.

015-1.jpg

Then add exactly 3 glugs of cooking wine and let it regain a little heat.

019.jpg

Once the temp comes back up a little, add the meat. I made a slight mistake at this point as I left the meat on the heat a little too long and it became more mush than flaked salmon. It was still good but just didn't retain its chunkiness.

020-1.jpg

Oh yeah, the peas go in now too. Now, you have two options. If I was cooking in a bigger pan I could have added the sauce here but instead I removed it from the heat and waited patiently for the pasta to cook....

021-1.jpg

031.jpg

(Notice the watched pot is actually boiling :shocked:)

Once the pasta is done and drained, in goes the meat and veggie mix followed by the alfredo sauce.

034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

As I mentioned, the salmon "cooked" a little too much and I was a little rough with it so it ended up breaking down a bit more than I would have liked. In the end, though, it came out still pretty good and easily good enough for Mongo :becky:

055.jpg

056.jpg

053.jpg

Please define "glugs" of wine. :becky:

I have looked all through my cabinets, and none of the measuring instruments have "Glug" as a measurement. They must be outdated :tsk:

Sadly it is a long lost form of precision measurement. Similar in origin to the dash and the "yay much"

Well, since anybody can enter with pretty much anything, and double entries seem to be all the rage, these days, I submit this as my Zeros TD entry...

Italian Burrito with Salsa Cruda

Being Italian, and living in Texas, I decided to do some Italian Tex-Mex.

My burrito is filled with meat, beans and cheese, like a typical burrito, but the meat is Italian Sausage, the beans are cannellini beans, and the cheese is asiago.

I partially mashed the beans in the food processor, then mixed in the grated asiago and some minced garlic, and cooked in to the consistency of refried beens.

I cooked the sausage in a pie pan on the mini-WSM with a little bit of pecan for smoke.

I then layered the beans and meat onto a large flour tortilla, put it in another pie pan, sprinkled a little more asiago on top, and put it in on the SJG (removed the tamale pot), and let it crisp up and brown the cheese.

Instead of Salsa Picante, I made a Salso Cruda, which is a blend of diced tomatoes, green olives, balsamic vinegar, chopped green onions, salt and pepper.

Somebody, maybe psycho poodle, set my G12 to manual mode, so all the cook pr0n is farked up.

I don't know which money shot to use. What do you farkers think?

picture.php

picture.php

I had no idea what to expect from this burrito. I was very pleasantly surprised. It really was just like a regular burrito, but with Italian flavors. It was one of those, "Wow, that's actually farking tasty" moments. :-D

Okay, that entry is done, in less than 30 seconds. :becky:

CD

I'm kinda wondering if I should re-do one of my Zero McRib-wich'es (only this time include criteria that would garner Gore's vote - screwed that one up last time... :tsk:)

or pick one of the best of the plethora of incredible zero's and see if it beget's me any better votes... Certainly I couldn't get any worse than a zero, right?

I now know what I am going to enter, I just need to get to the store tomorrow and pull it all together. It is gonna be perfect for this throwdown. Perfect! I know what I need to add too, some eggplant, beer, starfish, beer, ale, beer, beets, candy, beer and Bailey's, maybe some foil, and um beer.

I now know what I am going to enter, I just need to get to the store tomorrow and pull it all together. It is gonna be perfect for this throwdown. Perfect! I know what I need to add too, some eggplant, beer, starfish, beer, ale, beer, beets, candy, beer and Bailey's, maybe some foil, and um beer.

Don't forget the secret ingredient... :tsk:

images

Back