Whole Hog

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
A friend is asking me to smoke a whole hog for a Christmas Eve get together.

I tried to do a search and the farking search engine says "whole" is too common a term and only searched on hog! I got many pages of hits on "hog", imagine that.

Jeez, I tried searching "whole hog", but no hits.

I'm guessing you are using your own outfit or renting a hog cooker, but here are two articles you might get a kick out of. This first one recommends using a stolen pig because it tastes "better" and they start drinking whiskey at sunrise....

http://www.deltablues.net/roast.html

Here is one cooked on a concrete block pit. This takes a lot of room, but works great. Some good general information including one tip in particular I've seen at every pig pickin': You must name the hawgs. They refuse to cook without personal identities.

http://tcomegys.tripod.com/articles/hawgs.html

I do them in the back yard. Concrete blocks, expnmaded mesh screen for a grill. Easy as ****. Keep the fire hot enough to keep the bugs off, no more then that. Cover the ears and snout with foil to keep from burniing. Towards the end cover up the ribs, bacon, the thin stuff for the same reason. Good stuff. And a burnig pig head on the neighbor's doorstep at midnight is always fun.

A lot depends on how you are going to serve or display the hog. Also, figure about 1.5 pounds per person -- this accounts for the bone, skin, head, feet, etc.

Most directions will have you butterfly the hog. If you are going to display the hog and it's relatively small (up to about 65 pounds) you can tuck the legs under the hog and cook it upright - head on, etc.

The heat needs to be under the shoulders and the hams since they are the densest parts of the animal. As previously suggested use foil to cover the snout, tail, ears, etc.

rainford said:
I do them in the back yard. Concrete blocks, expnmaded mesh screen for a grill. Easy as ****. Keep the fire hot enough to keep the bugs off, no more then that. Cover the ears and snout with foil to keep from burniing. Towards the end cover up the ribs, bacon, the thin stuff for the same reason. Good stuff. And a burnig pig head on the neighbor's doorstep at midnight is always fun.

Sounds really interesting.
I have only witnessed one whole hog cook, and it was fun.
Do you have any pictures?

Whole Hog is primarily a Southern thing, at least by it's roots'
You must be a fellow Southern Boy!
Glad to have ya on-board.
We are really under-represented here.

TIM

Back