Gas and Electric at Comps?????

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
First off, this thread is meant for serious and rational discussion.
I am the last person to "stir up stuff", and that is not my intent here.
I actually have a real reason to ask---believe it or not :redface:

#1. Does anyone know (for sure) the historical reason that Gas and Electric smokers are not allowed by most bodies???
I guess it started with KCBS since they appear to be the oldest.
This will probably take someone with the long association with Comp BBQ like DRBBQ or Jim Minion to answer, but thought I would ask.

#2. Does anyone know of a current "Rational" reason why Gas and Electric is not allowed in comps?????

"Gas safety" can not be a reason because we allow turkey fryers, weedburners, and all of that.

Now, I know some folks feel that gas and electric does not produce "real" BBQ.
I will accept that as their opinion, but.....
If that is true, we should not "fear" them competing.
They would only add to the "purse" available to the "real" cookers. :-D:-D

It seems to me that allowing gas and electric would add to the number of entrants and possibly open the door for more sponsorship options from the gas and electric smoker manufacturers, much like Kingsford is developing now.

I know it is winter and all of that.
But, I would really appreciate it if we could focus on "real" reasons and not opinions.
I know we can do this :-D

Thanks in Advance.

TIM

I can speak a little for gas. They had a non sanctioned contest here in Iowa that was pellets vs gas. The gas had to be models like Old Hickory with an emergency shutoff. Yes, the concern was someone blowing up their propane tank or the firebox.

I believe it has someting to do with the belief that "True" BBQ is defined as meats cooked over charcoal, lump or hardwood. I tried to find something to that effect on the KCBS web site, but could not.

As far as why it is not allowed in the present...I guess see above, I think folks should be able to deep fry their ribs if they think it will give them the best tasting BBQ.

I can speak a little for gas. They had a non sanctioned contest here in Iowa that was pellets vs gas. The gas had to be models like Old Hickory with an emergency shutoff. Yes, the concern was someone blowing up their propane tank or the firebox.
We just got fire dept inspected here in FL for contests we did. They didn't ask about the propane tanks on the front for the water heater but once you start cooking with gas it's probably going to be a little different. I understand why they want the emergency shutoff. If the Fire Dept requires a Florida inspected fire extinguisher and fire retardant tags on canopies and tents then gas cookers are going to be inspected for safety. Nothing that isn't UL rated is likely to get passed.

Electric does not have these problems so it should be legal. Of course that's just my opinion.

safety isuues aside(i mean we're talking live fires here)
from a cooking standpoint, if pellet poopers are allowed, then, gas and electric should be as well.

The way it has been explained to me in the past is it is not the real way to make BBQ. In the begining there was fire...fire from wood and by proxy, charcoal. Now I have been told that the powers that be, we shall call them the BBQ Gods, sent forth a list of rules at the first BBQ Contests. Now, as I am a newbie to KCBS, I can only speak for the Memphis in May competition. Since the contest's inception in 1977, only wood and charcoal have been allowed. When pellets were introduced they were allowed because they are made from wood, and they smoulder and burn like wood. Honestly, there is no skill in gas and electric cooking. That is the reason I have been given for many years when asked this exact question.

You set a thermostat and it burns the same, keeps the same heat, and is very reliable...but so are many of the newer stick, pellet, and coal burners...I honestly think it is because the original MIM definitition of BBQ is "Barbeque is defined as pork meat (fresh or frozen and uncured) prepared only on a wood and/or charcoal fire, basted or not as the cook sees fit, with any non-poisonous substances and sauces as the cook believes necessary. "

and that is that

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork

Hopefully someone can correct me on this but last year wasn't their a vote on allowing gas smokers which missed passing by 1 or 2 votes? When you have guys already cooking on stuff like CTO's, you might as well allow gas. But as Ford said, you need an emergency shut off. Maybe KCBS BOD is waiting till they can lure some big $$$ from a natural gas company.

Wish I knew the answers, but I've been a proponent of allowing any and all methods for a long time.

I believe it has something to do with the belief that "True" BBQ is defined as meats cooked over charcoal, lump or hardwood.

I think that is it. It's been that way as far back as I know and I think it's always been this way.

Wish I knew the answers, but I've been a proponent of allowing any and all methods for a long time.

I agree RUB "Bring It"
Hello friends
I’m of the opinion that perhaps we are consciously trying to protect the roots of American BBQ culture. We all know the story that BBQ is America’s only original cuisine. All these BBQ “regions” and styles have evolved and developed over the years but none of these BBQ styles have developed around Gas or Electric cookers….enlighten me if I’m wrong...

Isn't that how Cookshack got their start?
An electric smoker that burned hardwood for cooking briskets?
I a man ones one electric or gas smoker, I believe he should be allowed to compete in a sanctioned contest. He probably is just starting out as a new bbq person and possibly can't afford a second smoker. She he be prohibited from a contest?

I agree RUB "Bring It"
Hello friends
I’m of the opinion that perhaps we are consciously trying to protect the roots of American BBQ culture. We all know the story that BBQ is America’s only original cuisine. All these BBQ “regions” and styles have evolved and developed over the years but none of these BBQ styles have developed around Gas or Electric cookers….enlighten me if I’m wrong...

Cool, rid of the pellet poopers too.

I mean, by your logic ................ (not by mine)

Should BBQ be a rich man's sport? Look at the price of some of these smokers.

$400+ dollars to play the game one time and knowing you are about to get beat. Give people a break.

I believe it to be (above all) a matter of tradition...:thumb: That said I also believe it is the cook...not the cooker ultimately responsible for good or bad BBQ. I say let them in...let the judges decide what tastes better...:cool:

From Wikipedia...

In the United States, especially the southeastern region, barbecue (also spelled barbeque or abbreviated BBQ) refers to a technique of cooking that involves cooking meat for long periods of time at low temperatures over a wood fire; often this is called pit barbecue, and the facility for cooking it is the barbecue pit. This form of cooking adds a distinctive smoky taste to the meat; barbecue sauce, while a common accompaniment, is not required for many styles.[1]

I don't know many cooks that are successful at competition BBQ that would run from gas or electric cookers. One of the best lines I've ever read on a BBQ forum came from a Jack Champion regarding a propane only contest a few years ago. I think it was "I only regret that I won't have the opportunity to whoop your gas burning ass!:)". Let the judges determine what good BBQ is.

I don't know that propane is any more dangerous than a drunk guy around a WSM.

its not the price of the smokers. I bought a $35 used new braunfels 2yrs ago and used it to compete last year and placed top 10 in brisket in the 2 events I went to. The cook makes the food not the smoker.

This thread is going to make my head explode LOL. All I want to say is I dont like pellet smokers but I can see why they are allowed. As far as propane goes, if its ever allowed in KCBS, Im out.
Also expensive smokers are just guys with hobbies keeping up with the cool new toy of the year. You cant tell me that an expensive smoker will make the food taste any better than if its cooked the same way on something much cheaper.

The drunk that kicks over a WSM is likely going to harm mostly himself. A propane tank could take out a few more.

For that matter, I have been witness to a fairly spectacular pellet cooker explosion that made me gunshy for quite awhile.

The Dr. is correct, it has been that way as long as I can remember as well. I believe it is due to the fact, that most definitions include that BBQ is cooked over some type of wood fire. It was a K.I.S.S. line in the sand.

As far as propane as a source for cooking vs. starting: Fryers, weed burners and the like, while dangerous, do not have the same effect as having a large vessel to collect the fuel in, and ignite it in a mass explosion. The original LP Que, and the last one... required that any gas system be UL rated, I believe, and it had to include an igniter, thermocouple, checkvalve, etc. The problem with some of the propane assist systems that you see on some offsets, is, they can allow gas to settle into the bottom of the cooker and stay -- they do not have an integrated ignition source, or safety valve... If gas were to pool up, and you stick an ignition source in the cooker... BOOM! If a pit were to go out, without some sort of safety valve in place, it could cause serious injury. Even using it for ignition only can be troublesome. I think Fitzy put pics of his bates pit after the door was blown off - this was like 2006 or 2007, so they would be in an old thread... but he was lucky to survive the blast..

Should BBQ be a rich man's sport? Look at the price of some of these smokers.
$400+ dollars to play the game one time and knowing you are about to get beat. Give people a break.

The Royal (and lots of other contests) have been won on a pair of barrels, cooking against all kinds of pits, many of which are well over $10K to buy. I think it is the cook, not the cooker...If you go in knowing you are going to get beat, hopefully your goal is camaraderie and making new friends. otherwise I hope you are competing to win. Either way, it is still cheaper than owning a boat :clap2:

I don't know many cooks that are successful at competition BBQ that would run from gas or electric cookers. One of the best lines I've ever read on a BBQ forum came from a Jack Champion regarding a propane only contest a few years ago. I think it was "I only regret that I won't have the opportunity to whoop your gas burning ass!:)". Let the judges determine what good BBQ is.

Unless that drunk guy is wielding a propane torch .... :twisted:

Back