Wicked Edge Sharpener Review

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I got a chance to use my new Wicked Edge Sharpener today. I got the basic kit which comes with the 100/200 grit and 400/600 grit diamond stones. I ordered separately the leather strops with 5micron and 3 micron paste. I also ordered the 800/1000 grit diamond stones, but they are on backorder. Here is what I received:

WickedEdge2.jpg

WickedEdge3.jpg

WickedEdge1.jpg

Poor quality pictures from my cell phone.

The kit does NOT come with a base. There are various paperstone and stone bases available for $45-$75. I just could not see spending that much money, so I bought a 1"x12" piece of pine for $6 at Lowe's. I used the included template to drill the holes and countersunk them.

As for the sharpener, I love it. I sharpened several knives this morning. One of them is a Pampered Chef utility knife that I have never been able to get a decent edge on. Well, now it cuts paper with ease.

Pros - Very well made unit. Sharpens knives to a razor-sharp, polished edge. Able to dial in exact angles. Calibrated from 15*-30* in 1 degree increments. You can get a 12* angle as well, it is just not marked. Holds knife extremely steady. Very well made diamond stones. Has a depth/alignment tool for consistency. Large range of stones available, from diamond to Chosera water stones to diamond pasted strops.

Cons - Expensive (but worth it). There is the potential to cut yourself as there are no guards to protect your fingers. There is a learning curve.

I couldn't be more pleased with this unit. I have been using a Lansky sharpener for years with mediocre results. Now, I am able to get a factory quality edge on a knife, which is something I have never been able to do. When deciding to purchase, I looked hard at both the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro Apex systems. I know that the Edge Pro is just as good, but for me, the Wicked Edge fits the bill.

I just watched a couple YouTube videos on that sharpener and I have to admit that it's probably the best one I have ever seen. Looks like its simple enough that anyone could use it. I might have to add that to a wishlist somewhere.... nice :)

Thanks for the review. I've got lots of sharpening tools but if I didn't I'd take a good look at this system.

Just curious, what is the price point compared to the Apex? I remember looking at this one, but got the Apex instead

Apex 4 owner here. Awesome unit.
Never seen a WE in person, reead some good reviews on it.

BTW, I now have very little hair on my left arm from shaving with the knives I have sharpened.:oops: I have sharpened every knife I could get my hands on today!

BTW, I now have very little hair on my left arm from shaving with the knives I have sharpened.:oops: I have sharpened every knife I could get my hands on today!

LOL, I would do the same thing! Right on, bro. :thumb:

I had never heard of this thing before reading this thread. Now I want one SOOOO bad! Thanks a lot for giving me one more thing to lust over!

I considered buying on of these but ended up going with the Edge Pro. I just wasn't sure I could get used to the two handed process. I love my Edge Pro but I have heard a lot of good things about the Wicked Edge too.

FWIW, I switched from my left arm to my left leg calf. It is a little less inconspicuous when all the hair is missing :becky:

Thanks for the great review! :eusa_clap
I'm trying to decide which sharpening system to get. Can anyone give a comparison of the sharpening results between the Wicked Edge and a Work Sharp system? I know they are completely different methods of sharpening (Work Sharp uses belts), but I'm wondering which would give the best edge, or would they be similar?
I've really liked what I've seen of the Wicked Edge on YouTube, and it seems like a fantastic way to sharpen, plus you can work on both sides of the knife at once. But, the Work Sharp is cheaper, seems pretty darned fast, easy and safe. Yes, I can be a klutz if I let my mind wander..... :oops:

Being a kind of sullen & observing Dutchman here...

spending $250 or more to slice a sheet of paper makes me think..

would a 50 cent razorblade do the same ??:laugh:
that leaves me $249.50 to buy some nice steaks ...!! (that you could cut with a fork..)

Being a kind of sullen & observing Dutchman here...

spending $250 or more to slice a sheet of paper makes me think..

would a 50 cent razorblade do the same ??:laugh:
that leaves me $249.50 to buy some nice steaks ...!! (that you could cut with a fork..)

I like the way you think. I am normally an extremely cheap person. But, I saved my pennies and decided to splurge. I am really glad I did.

Thanks for the great review! :eusa_clap
I'm trying to decide which sharpening system to get. Can anyone give a comparison of the sharpening results between the Wicked Edge and a Work Sharp system? I know they are completely different methods of sharpening (Work Sharp uses belts), but I'm wondering which would give the best edge, or would they be similar?
I've really liked what I've seen of the Wicked Edge on YouTube, and it seems like a fantastic way to sharpen, plus you can work on both sides of the knife at once. But, the Work Sharp is cheaper, seems pretty darned fast, easy and safe. Yes, I can be a klutz if I let my mind wander..... :oops:

I looked at the Work Sharp, but it looks like it would take off a lot of metal with the sharpening. My 2 cents.

My Daddy was an ole time Butcher. I worked with him in the Summer
in the Meat Markets. I learned how they sharpened knives.
(3 sided stones and Knife Steel for most of their work)

Back then Beefs came to the grocery stores in 1/4s and had to be broken down.
Chickens came whole and had to be cut up.
We didn't Spatchcock Chickens, we 'Butterflied' them... Same thing...
Butchers used a lot of Boneing Knives and several Cleavers each day.
Cutting against the wooden Butcher's blocks also would take the edge off the knives.
Lots of sharpening each day.

I've tried several knife sharpening systems and they all seem to work.
I like the Lansky, but I still do it the ole fashioned way.

Last edited:
A good friend used to be a butcher and he can sharpen a knife with anything. Knife sharpening systems are for guys like me who can't. I would love one of those systems, but can't justify the price. A shop up the street sharpens knives for a few bucks, and I can keep an edge on one for a while with a ceramic hone.

Back