THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh, fresh, fresh. Are the key to good smoked bluefish. An overnight brine or cure, a good rinse (I don't like my smoked fish too salty) then on the smoker till 135-140 F internal temp. If they are smaller, thinner fish, be careful not to go too far as the thinner parts can get a bit jerky like.

Yep and the only way to eat it. Brine it and smoke like salmon and it's very oily.

Fresh, fresh, fresh. Are the key to good smoked bluefish. An overnight brine or cure, a good rinse (I don't like my smoked fish too salty) then on the smoker till 135-140 F internal temp. If they are smaller, thinner fish, be careful not to go too far as the thinner parts can get a bit jerky like.

^Yep, but I also bleed them out as soon after catching them as you can. I either cut the head off or make big cuts at the gills and put them head down in a 5 gallon bucket.

We were given bluefish as the secret protein in the Iron Chef category at NJ State BBQ Championship in Wildwood a few years ago. Brine the hell out of it to get rid of some of the fishy flavor. It holds up pretty well to smoking low and slow because it is so oily. We cooked it in a pan with some seasoning, herbs, and lemon slices and it came out pretty good.

Back