Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

If there was ever a thing to qualify for "pics or it didn't happen" it would be this.:heh:

You can keep all your recipes to yourself, but if you keep the Kate Upton pics to yourself, I'm gonna be farkin ticked. You gotta hook a brethren up

Had the opportunity to eat at The Prized Pig this afternoon. What a great accomplishment!! Food was fantastic (pulled pork and chicken) and the BBQ sauce was well, awesomesauce! You got something going with those baked beans!! Keep up the good service and food! Looking forward to making the trip again!! SmokenQ

Read the entire thread....took me a few days while I had some breaks, but I can totally relate.
I have friends in Michigan and plan on going down for a road trip in the summer.....after reading this I feel I HAVE to lend my support.
Keep up the great work and all the success in the future....your getting there.
A great friend of mine has a saying "People always tell me how lucky I am...funny thing is the harder I work the luckier I become"

We've also been discussing moving to table service so that we can keep take-out separate. The system right now isn't working when it's busy. There's a line out the door and some people have already called ahead for pick-up order, others are in line to eat in, and people waiting for their take-out are just sitting in booths or seats waiting for their food so those who do want to dine in can't find a seat even though there may be some available, etc. It's a clusterfark.

Good problems to have, no doubt, but it's certainly something that wasn't anticipated from the beginning.

Take it from many years in the FOH - if you're going to go table service - make sure you're using experienced servers when you start. A good server can help you time your orders - pace a rush - etc. They can also keep an impatient guest a lot happier.

Forgot to mention - if you're going to hire someone experienced - I would hire them at 1 or 2 bucks over what others are doing. Sounds expensive, yes, but servers are constantly poached and it's good incentive for them to help you out. The extra $$ will come back to you.

Bump. Eagerly awaiting once again for the next installment of the weekly adventures at the Prized Pig!!

Eagerly awaiting once again for the next installment of the weekly adventures at the Prized Pig!!

It's like the once weekly show on TV.. I gotta say I made Marubozos pickles - and well...
they are all gone! Nice.

So, who wants to buy me another smoker?
How much does it cost, how much to run, what % ROI?
$10K? And will that smoker run you into the ground wishing you'd never asked?

I know it's been posted before, but what's the address and city. I'm in Toledo and I feel like a venture into MI this weekend

Not much to update this week. Last week was relatively uneventful. That means nothing broke down, no major crisis to deal with, etc. Numbers were up again slightly, but again largely capped by capacity issues. I'm getting sick of spending money, but I really need another CVAP. If I had more holding space I could eliminate a lot of the running out of meat issues. Then again, there are occasional days when we can't even keep up with having enough sides coming out of the kitchen, so if it isn't one thing it's another.

The main issue last week though was me hitting my physical limit. On Saturday I was about at the point of collapsing due to exhaustion. My crew finally convinced me to go home and get some sleep, and I did. I need to do that more often because trying to maintain 12-14 hour days isn't going to last.

Spend the money now while you are far exceeding your projections, IMO, especially if it will resolve some of the sold out issues as that will allow for even better days while things are still bumpin'!

Hopefully with nicer weather coming, you will get to take some fun breaks on the days you are closed. Take care of yourself...

Are you getting close to having someone there that you trust to manage the joint when you can't be there? That would surely help in preventing exhaustion. I know you want to be there at all times since it is your baby, but maybe that person could handle Friday lunch rush and Sunday dinner rush to give you a break on some of the busy days allowing you to come in later for the big Friday night rush and head home after the big Sunday lunch rush.

For sure, get some rest up front instead of completely breaking down and being out for a long time.

dont burn yourself out

I owned a car repair shop for 4 years back in the 80's

I was so busy like you I could not see straight.

I finally gave it up, I never wanted to work on another car again.

Actually shortly after that I got completely out of the business.

dont make that mistake.

Are you getting close to having someone there that you trust to manage the joint when you can't be there? That would surely help in preventing exhaustion. I know you want to be there at all times since it is your baby, but maybe that person could handle Friday lunch rush and Sunday dinner rush to give you a break on some of the busy days allowing you to come in later for the big Friday night rush and head home after the big Sunday lunch rush.

Oh, absolutely. I've got two people who can and do handle the place when I'm not here. It's just like you said, it's my baby so it's hard not being here and getting my hands dirty all day every day.

Do you have one person dedicated as a prep cook? Do you have any extra room in your cooler? Two things I would look at if you are running out of sides. One person is in charge of making the sides for the week. You could make the beans, slaw and potato salad on Tuesday to get you through Sunday. On Sunday sides could be made again so you have product for Wednesday. I wouldn't put the red cabbage in your slaw until the night before or the morning of service. Less chance of it turning purple. Not knowing how you do M&C you might be able to have those ready to put on the smoker when needed.

I was like you and did the open to close Thurs-Sun, order on Monday, be there Tuesday to put it away and Wednesday get things ready for the Farmer's Market. It was a tough summer. You are doing more volume. Be sure you take care of yourself. It will do no good if you go down due to exhaustion.

I heard several of your commercials today on 96.1 :)

But do you really need to advertise at this point?

Definitely do not run yourself down that far very often. I did, and over the years it took more and more of a toll. Eventually, you will break down, and that will never be good. Let the folks take a shift here or there, if it is too far to go home, figure out a way to grab a few winks in the car or truck.

Back