A little help please

parrdist

Full Fledged Farker
My Neighbor called and is having a Party. Wants me to cook the pulled pork. She's having 75 people and also is serving fried chicken and sides. My Question is how much pork will I have to cook and what should I charge. Not looking to make a lot of money just want to make sure I don't lose money. Thanks for your help.

I would say, since there is going to be fried chicken and presumable a bunch of sides, you are looking at half portions for folks, maybe 1/4 pound per person. That would mean, doing easy math, 1/2 pound or so raw, 35 pounds total raw weight, bone-in butts. You could probably even go down to 30 lbs. if there are kids.

I would say, since there is going to be fried chicken and presumable a bunch of sides, you are looking at half portions for folks, maybe 1/4 pound per person. That would mean, doing easy math, 1/2 pound or so raw, 35 pounds total raw weight, bone-in butts. You could probably even go down to 30 lbs. if there are kids.

+1 on this..

(And landarc for a vegan you sure know a lot about butts.)

Yea the 35-40 lbs. Is about right. The thing I like to ask is how it will be served will people be serving them selves or will one person be portioning out the pork for the sandwiches. It will make a difference. The first time we catered we almost ran out of pulled pork. Now I take that in consideration, just something to think about. If it looks like we have some extra at the end of the event, I just fill a few ziplock bags for sale by the lb. we don't take much home. Just ask who has the event before hand,I split the money or give them a break on the cost of the meat.

I'll just be dropping it off in a roaster. It will be self serve, I have already told them to use smaller buns to limit wastage.
Thanks everyone for the help, I'll be cooking 35 lbs.

Back