It's "Turkey Day"...What's Cookin'?

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
"Happy Thanksgiving Brethren"...Here is todays menu...pics to follow. (Friday thread started early Keale... :)

Mad Max's Turkey and Gravy...
Fannie Farmer Fresh Sage Dressing...
Ina Garten's French String Beans...
"JD" McGee's Baked Yams...
"Rhana" McGee's Homemade Pumpkin Pie...
Kim Crawford Sauvingnon Blanc...

Just put the bird on the Traeger. (I know, cheater). Temp here is 18*. Wife buzy making rasin dressing, mashed taters, fruit salad. And barley pops! :)

I smoked 6 turkeys and two hams last night. I got to bed sometime after 2am. By 8:30 this morning all but one of the birds was picked up by it's owner. Nap at noon dinner at six.

Today's menu will include:
Smoked Turkey
Smoked Ham
Bread stuffing
Sauteed green beans with garlic butter and almonds
Roasted Delicatta squash with butter
Butter smashed potatoes
Crusty Rustica 7 grain bread
Cranberry sauce
Apple pie
Vanilla ice cream

That should be enough for 3 people. :rolleyes:

Ribeyes on the gasser.
Boiled shrimp
Deviled eggs
Mashed taters
Cornbread stuffing
Coleslaw
Sweet tater pie

Just me and wife here today. Surf and turf was her idea, im fine with it.

Where do I start....

At midnight I started my fire to get my pit warmed up. A few hours after that (and a quick nap) I built my main fire and put my flavorful brined turkey on the pit at 4:30AM. Took another nap. Had a little fire issue but was able to get it under control and maintained my fire until the 14 lbs bird was done.

Now, I have some quail wrapped with bacon on the pit. (looking forward to taste those!)

Wife and fam is working on breakfast and various side items. My dad (other side of town) is frying a second turkey. My mother is making cornbread dressing and various side items.

We all plan to meet at my house and have a fantastic dinner. The following is the entire menu:

Smoked Turkey
Fried Turkey
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Quail
Homemade Cornbread Dressing
Homemade Bread Dressing
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Pea Salad
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Sauce
Cider Glazed Carrots
Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus
Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers (pickled & fresh)
Shrimp & Corn Bisque
Corn Casserole
Yeast Rolls
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pie
Ice Tea

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Where do I start....

At midnight I started my fire to get my pit warmed up. A few hours after that (and a quick nap) I built my main fire and put my flavorful brined turkey on the pit at 4:30AM. Took another nap. Had a little fire issue but was able to get it under control and maintained my fire until the 14 lbs bird was done.

Now, I have some quail wrapped with bacon on the pit. (looking forward to taste those!)

Wife and fam is working on breakfast and various side items. My dad (other side of town) is frying a second turkey. My mother is making cornbread dressing and various side items.

We all plan to meet at my house and have a fantastic dinner. The following is the entire menu:

Smoked Turkey
Fried Turkey
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Quail
Homemade Cornbread Dressing
Homemade Bread Dressing
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Pea Salad
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Sauce
Cider Glazed Carrots
Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus
Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers (pickled & fresh)
Shrimp & Corn Bisque
Corn Casserole
Yeast Rolls
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pie
Ice Tea

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Damn Tom....now dat's some kinda menu. You feeding a marching army? BtW, I'll be over shortly!

Got a 13lb bird on the smoker as I type. Wife is making a few side dishes. We will take bird and dishes over to her sister's house to have dinner at 5pm tonight.

I injected a 6.5# turkey breast with half & half mixture of white wine and butter, then whisked in Plowboy's Yard Bird Rub. I rubbed it down with more rub, then put it on a vertical roaster. Set the roaster inside a cast iron skillet and put it on the platesetter in the egg. The egg's rockin' along at 275* with no problems, and is almost done.

The wife & MIL are making sides, but I'm doing the stuffing. Chocolate pie for dessert. :cool:

Made a box of Mac N Cheese for the boys for lunch.

Happy Thanksgiving..........

Started off with some breasts in the BDS

DSC04204a.jpg

Did salmon in the Egg and sharp cheddar in the Big Chief

dsc04185aaL.jpg

Did a number on my bird, deboning the thigh, seasoned with herb butter, will go very traditional on the breast and will make the wings spicy.

DSC04207a1.jpg

I have 2 fatties on the Egg and getting 2 pork tenderloins prepped with an Asian cherry glaze.

Sides are squash/sweet tater/carrot combo, green beans, mashed taters, three bread dressing and...for dessert key lime pie

Mad Max Turkey and Gravy
Cornbread Dressing
Mashed Taters
Sweet Taters
Green Bean Casserole
Creamed Corn
Cranberry Sauce
Crescent Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crisp

Strawberry Daiquiris or Margaritas
Some Chardonnay (I can't remember)
Cranberry Wine

Wayne, you do amazing work with the knife! Ever thought of doing a tutorial on your website, on "how to" with knife, your chicken, now this turkey... post pics of the final product!

Italian American Antipasta (soppresata, procuitto di parma, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers in garlic * oil, sliced tomato & basil, provelone, olives, Italian Bread

14 # turkey on WSM - apple wood smoked
homemade stuffing with celery, onion, mushroom, diced apple and crumbled fatty
smashed potato with bacon, three cheese mix and garlic
sweet potato - bourbon & honey glaze
broccoli, garlic & oil
asparagus
homemade pies (apple, pumpin & coconut)
cannoli's
fruit salad

My crew asked me to grill sausages this evening. We are doing pot luck Friday evening.

for Friday night I'll be grilling some turkey breast cutlets and some pork chunks (country style ribs).

We had quite a spread, which is remarkable since it is just us and a couple of neighbors. Here are a couple of pics of our turkeys, which my wife took. She usually makes fun of me when I take pics of my food, but this time she was really impressed.

Attachments

• old smoker 12.jpg
    old smoker 12.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 55
  • old smoker 13.jpg
    old smoker 13.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
Wayne, you do amazing work with the knife! Ever thought of doing a tutorial on your website, on "how to" with knife, your chicken, now this turkey... post pics of the final product!

Here she is resting. Those thighs were really nice to slice, and stayed super moist.

DSC04216aa.jpg

I am sooooo full! Everything came out great. The turkey was very moist and juicy.

Turkey stock...

IMG_4433.jpg

The turkey has a headache :-D

IMG_4435.jpg

In the Egg...

IMG_4436.jpg

The top was a little dark, but the skin was crispy and the meat was very moist...

IMG_4439.jpg

Cornbread-Apple Dresssing (was supposed to be Cornbread-Apple-Fatty stuffing but I forgot to put the fatty in :shock:

IMG_4440.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving..........

Started off with some breasts in the BDS

DSC04204a.jpg

Did salmon in the Egg and sharp cheddar in the Big Chief

dsc04185aaL.jpg

Did a number on my bird, deboning the thigh, seasoned with herb butter, will go very traditional on the breast and will make the wings spicy.

DSC04207a1.jpg

I have 2 fatties on the Egg and getting 2 pork tenderloins prepped with an Asian cherry glaze.

Sides are squash/sweet tater/carrot combo, green beans, mashed taters, three bread dressing and...for dessert key lime pie

Lookin' good Brother...by the way...I found another use for your grate lifter...lifting the platesetter on my BGE to toss in some smokewood. :p

We had quite a spread, which is remarkable since it is just us and a couple of neighbors. Here are a couple of pics of our turkeys, which my wife took. She usually makes fun of me when I take pics of my food, but this time she was really impressed.

Nice...good job Bro. Which one did you like the best?

Back