Installing shower & toilet in Comp trailer

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Subject line says it all, more or less.

Looking for information or personal experiences from anyone that installed a shower stall and/or toilet in their Comp trailer.

Getting ready to order our trailer, but not sure about having it installed whole it is made, or DIY after I bring the trailer home.

In our first camper trailer which was a pop-up, it had a toilet and shower combo. It was small by all means, but very functional. The grey and black water both drained into a cassette type holding tank.

Anyways, any info or ideas is appreciated.

wallace

Your craftsman skills will determine that. There is nothing complicated about the set up. Electrical for the pump, pex tubing, shower stall, RV toilet and holding tank or tanks.

With that said I wonder if you would even save money doing it yourself.

A fairly complex DIY project.
Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, welding, etc... will test all of your mad skills.
Probably cheaper to have a factory installation .

I don't know about the shower and toilet, but when I was pricing out our trailer I told one of the manufacturers I wanted a grey water tank installed for future sinks, he said that installing a tank was so easy and inexpensive, it wasn't worth my money to have them do it.

It's not really difficult when you break it down into chewable chunks. If you look at the project as a whole then yes, it's daunting.

Prior planning of tank locations, toilet and shower locations is crucial. I put the toilet directly over the black tank so there's no piping in the drain path.

Try to put all your (what I call) 'water stuff' fairly close to each other. That way you won't have long Pex runs to make. That would include city connection,fresh tank, pump, accumulator tank, water heater, sinks, toilet, shower, etc.

Don't try to find home size shower stalls that will fit. They are way too big and will eat up a ton of floor space. I lucked out and was able to find an RV shower pan that somebody had ordered but never picked up. The RV place was very happy to give me a big discount on it. I made the stall out of 2x2 studding sheeted with luan. Then I used some of that white urethane(?) sheeting that HD carries for the inner liner.

The toilet is very straightforward. Just be sure to get the correct size rubber floor flange that fits the toilet bottom. The hardest part of that install was cutting the hole in the holding tank and installing that flange gasket.

This was about midway through the build. I'll look and see if I have any other shots of the bathroom install. I'll take a couple of shots of what it looks like now this afternoon. I owe somebody else a couple of pics anyway.

P6060129_zps066224d8.jpg

This was the floor plan if this helps at all

Visio-VisioTrailerv3-3.jpg

Russ

Not an expert by any means... But, if I were contemplating something like this I'd prolly look at a Toy Hauler Trailer and see what I could do with it. I've see a few at comps and that space in the back for the "toys" was set up real nice for competitions... Good luck with your Comps!!!

How big a trailer? I think if I was doing a cargo trailer I would forgo the shower and just get a chemical toilet like this one http://www.sears.com/sanitation-equ...p-00648405000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

We didn't have either in our old pop-up camper and traveled with one of these. Was especially nice in the middle of the night not having to head to a porta-pottie

They are easy to fill (the fresh water tank) and dump (the bottom tank), in fact, you can dump into a porta-let, just be careful not to splash!

Thanks very much for the input and info. My DIY skills are decent, in that electrical work is not any problem for me; was an electrician when I was a kid. I was hoping that Rolfe would come over and do the work for me while I sat and had a few beers.. :doh: lol!

Russ, as for your info, all I can say is WOW! Very nice and well thought out! I am looking to save as much as I can, up front, and then finish some other items on my own. BUT, want to maximize the space in the enclosed area.

The trailer that I plan on purchasing is, 24'x8.5' with a V-nose, and that length includes an 8' porch. So, there will be 16' enclosed area with a back door out to the porch, and a side door towards the front. I want to utilize the V-nose area for the toilet/shower area as much as possible. As for the cabinets, tables, etc, again, that will be my DIY stuff.

I guess my biggest concern is maximizing the V-nose space but also getting a water tight area. And, I am not sure that I would need an actual grey and black water tanks as the most we would be using it (toilet & shower) would be for 1-2 days. When we had the pop-up camper that had a cassette type receiver for grey/black waste, I had to empty it every 2 days.

So, maybe I am building my own dilemma or confusion, but I sure would like to make sure I do it decent the first go around.

Again, and as always, thanks for the input and keep the thoughts and ideas coming!!! :thumb::thumb:

wallace

How big a trailer? I think if I was doing a cargo trailer I would forgo the shower and just get a chemical toilet like this one http://www.sears.com/sanitation-equ...p-00648405000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

We didn't have either in our old pop-up camper and traveled with one of these. Was especially nice in the middle of the night not having to head to a porta-pottie

They are easy to fill (the fresh water tank) and dump (the bottom tank), in fact, you can dump into a porta-let, just be careful not to splash!

Thanks for the post and reference. The unit from Sears look like the same type we used long ago. I am looking for something that can be installed (bolted to the trailer) as part of the overall trailer. To tell you the truth, I completely forgot about these type units.

Thanks!

wallace

Have you seen kits setup?
I asked him for some pics but im still waiting, he has a bath in the vnose of the yellow sub.... if you took picks and looked at it that would answer your questions if you could/wanted to do it..

I am looking for how to install an under trailer grey tank, but have not found any good info yet.

I am looking to save as much as I can, up front, and then finish some other items on my own. BUT, want to maximize the space in the enclosed area

That was exactly my thought process. I figured my time is free and by researching/buying stuff myself, I can save myself a huge bucket of $$. Also, I could take my time and get as detailed as I want whereas a trailer place might give it a lick & promise and call it good.
One other plus is that I know that trailer inside and out (literally) so if anything goes wrong or I want to make changes, I know exactly where everything is.

Just so you can see the finished product:
P1300419_zps7853d318.jpg

P1300420_zpscfd60844.jpg

Russ

Have you seen kits setup?
I asked him for some pics but im still waiting, he has a bath in the vnose of the yellow sub.... if you took picks and looked at it that would answer your questions if you could/wanted to do it..

I am looking for how to install an under trailer grey tank, but have not found any good info yet.

Oops I knew I forgot to do something Eric. They're in my iPhotos account on my "last legs" MacBook. Not to make any excuses, just saying if I had them on my phone I'd send you right now.

I don't have anything to add here, but wanted to say something.......

The post above from Russ, and ones like it, are what make this site so great. Sharing information, all the way to a detailed cad of his trailer is awesome. And posts like this one are what make BBQ and the people in it the best around.

The trailer that I plan on purchasing is, 24'x8.5' with a V-nose, and that length includes an 8' porch. So, there will be 16' enclosed area with a back door out to the porch, and a side door towards the front.

wallace
I see your considering the 24' trailer.... keep in mind that alot of comp cook sites are 20x20. That means you'll have to buy extra space and that means extra $$$. Just my .02

I see your considering the 24' trailer.... keep in mind that alot of comp cook sites are 20x20. That means you'll have to buy extra space and that means extra $$$. Just my .02

Thanks and I thought about this as well. I am willing to pay extra. Heck, the total overall length including the hitch and stuff will probably be about 28-30'.

I need the extra space and comfort; I ain't as young as I once was. :wink:

wallace

Its personal preference but one thing we did was remove the hand sink from the bathroom. We just use hand sanitizer and the kitchen sink is just outside the door if needed. By removing the sink it gives us room to change cloths and etc. in the bathroom while others are working in the trailer.
Another space saver that I have seen in pickup campers, is for the entire bathroom be the shower. Way too small for me but if a person was looking for the minimum or just the occasional shower on hot days, it is an option.

The toilet is very straightforward. Just be sure to get the correct size rubber floor flange that fits the toilet bottom. The hardest part of that install was cutting the hole in the holding tank and installing that flange gasket.

Russ

Use a "uni-seal" for the toilet into the tank and it makes that very easy.
http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=161

Back