What 10 Hours @ 235 Will Get You In A Brisket

btcg

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, prepped my brisket (fine butchering/injection) Friday morning, and popped it in the fridge overnight. Friday night, I prepped my Weber kettle: cleaned it, got my charcoal basket loaded and filled up my water pans.

This morning, all I had to do was start my fire and put my brisket on. Got up @ 8:15 and by 9 am, I was cooking:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ten hours later, here's the result:

3.jpg

Sorry Myron, but I think I've been corrupted by the NanoQ and low & slow cooking. GAWD... I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see), and this was a el-cheapo Giant Foods brisket ($15).

In all modesty, this was every bit as tasty as the Wagyu brisket Myron cooked us (same injection), and it had better color.

Beautiful!...... I continue to be impressed on what the kettles & a good cook can do. :thumb:

Was it on the grate the whole time or did you wrap it in foil?

Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?:decision:

Man that looks great. Very nicely done. Can we have the injection recipe?:decision:

I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

4.jpg

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.

Those electronic doo-dads are pretty nice. I'm really enjoying my stoker too. If it can reduce my trips outside this winter, I will be a happy camper. :-D

I love that redness you can achieve by low & slow.

Didn't use any wood (not crazy about smoking beef - that is not a smoke ring you see)...

:confused:

Even though you are not using wood, and are not blowing visible billowing smoke, I do believe you are smoking your beef...and actually, a smoke ring has nothing to do with smoke, but rather a reaction between the nitrogen dioxide (produced by the combustion of wood, charcoal and even propane and natural gas) and the myoglobin in the surface of the meat to form nitrates in the form of nitrous acid, that diffuses into the meat to create that pink ring.

Here is an excellent article that explains the process in detail: http://smokingpit.com/Info/SmokeRing.pdf

I use nothing but lump charcoal in all my cookers and achieve very deep and pronounced 'smoke' rings.

I can't give it out, but I can give you a generic:

4.jpg

Dump the broth (available @ Whole Foods) into a bowl, heat, and add 1 tblsp of brisket injection. Allow to come to room temp (the brisket too) and inject.

If you have someone like my wife to feed who hates salt & spices, inject with just the broth. The small piece of brisket in the pic was done with the broth only, and it was quite tasty.
Can't blame me for trying. lol. :thumb:

Looks great. I cook both ways. Low and slow always when I have the time. There is a difference but the hot and fast is good as well...just different IMO.

Can't blame me for trying. lol. :thumb:

RP,

Try what I gave you. It's an amazing injection. I developed it to try and compromise what my son and I wanted vs. what my health nut wife wanted in a brisket. I made it, and my son & I both loved it. Unfortuneatly, my wife complained about it having sodium. So, I had to finally quit using anything but the plain broth for her.

She is, of course, a nut. Hates sodium? C'Mon!

Looks great. I cook both ways. Low and slow always when I have the time. There is a difference but the hot and fast is good as well...just different IMO.

Your stuff always looks great and looks delicious.

Back