Thirdeye's Green Chili

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm planning to make Thirdeye's Green Chili for our chili cook off at work this Friday. It is going to rain most of this week, so I'm roasting my chilies now. How far ahead can I make this chili? I've got everything to make it, but I'm not sure if I should just make it now and put it in the fridge until Friday or get my chilies ready and hold tight until Thursday night.

Anyone got experience with this recipe? Is it one of those "better the next day" dishes?

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

Sled used the recipe a couple of years ago at the first ICS here on LI.
There were 2 entrants for chili verde that day if I recall.
He may follow up soon.
It was good.
Good luck.

Well coming right from the horses mouth, like most chili, it is better the next day......but I wouldn't hold it several days. It freezes well, since you don't have to cook on site, why not make it one day then the next day bag it in zipper bags and freeze it? Lay them flat, it makes thawing very easy.

BTW, we have a 14 qt batch going right now. I sort of have a chill in my bones after today.

DSC06192JPGajpgb.jpg

BTW, we have a 14 qt batch going right now. I sort of have a chill in my bones after today.

DSC06192JPGajpgb.jpg

I'm not going to complain about raking leaves anymore... I bet that chili tastes wonderful after shoveling!!!

Well coming right from the horses mouth, like most chili, it is better the next day......but I wouldn't hold it several days. It freezes well, since you don't have to cook on site, why not make it one day then the next day bag it in zipper bags and freeze it? Lay them flat, it makes thawing very easy.

DSC06192JPGajpgb.jpg

Thanks, Wayne. Looking forward to trying it!

Freeze it

Anyone got experience with this recipe? Is it one of those "better the next day" dishes?

Todd, like Wayne said, you can make it all today or over the next couple of days, freeze everything (meat & veggies separately), and then put in fridge the night before at supper time.

I've made it that way once and was very happy with the results, and will be making it later this fall for the coworkers the same way.

Good luck at the contest! :eusa_clap

Wayne, it was sunny & in the upper 70's in Nashville today! :tongue:

DSC06192JPGajpgb.jpg

I have to revisit your green chili recipe Wayne, looks like mother nature whooped ya hard.

Keep smiling and hope that warmer weather visits you real soon.

This chili recipe is killer stuff !!!!!!

Sled has made a few batches which I was lucky enough to get leftovers from too... It gets even better when re-heated.. The first time Sled had a bit more heat to it and I think it was better that way...

DSC06192JPGajpgb.jpg

I sure hope that's not your wood pile behind you in the picture!

This is only chili I will basically eat. It is better the next day.The meat cooking method is a very crucial part of this recipe. I tried to deviate once and it just wasn't right. Enjoy!

PS I am so damn JEALOUS of that snow!!!! My poor snowmobile looks so lonely sitting on the driveway

Got a bit cool here this weekend, also. Dropped into the mid 70's, if you can imagine that?

I am curious to know if adding a smoked and chopped pork butt would be ok to sub for the ground butt ?

I do not have a meat grinder.

I am curious to know if adding a smoked and chopped pork butt would be ok to sub for the ground butt ?

I do not have a meat grinder.

I've used smoked meat and it comes out more like a stew, the flavors from the spices just aren't as sharp. If you go that route, try adding some par boiled potatoes toward the end.

Roasting the fresh meat and spices together is the big flavor key, I can tell a difference between using the coarse ground butt and small cubes of pork butt, so you might try that but I like the ground better. Do you have a food processor? That will work if you process small amounts at a time, pulse mode. I have roasted pans of meat in my cooker, I can taste a difference when sampling it before it goes into the chili, but any smoky flavor does not linger very long.

Wayne, you are a genius.

With all of that snow, I understand now how you don't weigh 300 pounds.

The pot o' green is on. Smells amazing. I'm cooking it tonight to allow flavors to meld before server on Friday for lunch.

Was a little afraid that I over did the ground pork. Hard to know the line between done and overdone with that crust on top.

The pot o' green is on. Smells amazing. I'm cooking it tonight to allow flavors to meld before server on Friday for lunch.

Was a little afraid that I over did the ground pork. Hard to know the line between done and overdone with that crust on top.

Good luck with the contest. Are there any other green entries?

As far as doneness of the meat, I just watch the edges. When the edge is done enough for sampling :rolleyes:, I stop the roasting. Bear in mind that the middle will not most likely not be completely done and will finish cooking in the big pot.

Wayne, how thick should the final product be? I had a bowl. Perfect heat for my tastes. It is hot without taking away from the flavor. I wouldn't want it any hotter. It will mellow, so for right now, I think it is spot on. Seems a little thin, but I'm not sure what I should be going for.

Wayne, how thick should the final product be? I had a bowl. Perfect heat for my tastes. It is hot without taking away from the flavor. I wouldn't want it any hotter. It will mellow, so for right now, I think it is spot on. Seems a little thin, but I'm not sure what I should be going for.

The thickness question is a tough one, you just balance the liquid during the cook, then use the roux to put it where you want it. Then allow enough time for any traces of the flour to blend and cook out. Green chili is not usually as thick as some red chili, so it won't be able to stack on a cracker for example. As you will most likely find out when you get into a bowl, the base is full of complex flavors on its own. The pork adds some flavor and body to it. Some folks will try to use too much roux, which will give you sort of a green chili gravy, which is great for using inside breakfast burritos, but too thick for a bowl.

For insurance, why not serve some shredded Mexi-blend cheese on the side? The cheese can do three things. It can add thickness, knock the edge off the heat and lastly it can add that psychological "warm fuzzy comfort feeling" of having a condiment. I would also serve flour tortillas too.

Back