UDS Charcoal Basket question......

T

tlcpokertables

I've been trying to get quotes from local metalworkers about having a basket made from expanded metal, and their quotes are ridiculous....(The last quote I got was $145).....So I was thinking of other options and thought of a milk crate......So my question is... Are wire milk crates ok to use for a UDS charcoal basket?....Pros? Cons? Etc...

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

you can make your own with a couple of basic tools, a little bailing wire, expanded metal, a pizza pan, and some nuts bolts and washers. Coat hanger was a quick fix for a handle.

UDS012.jpg

Just buy the whole Poppas kit- still cheaper than the quotes u got.

My basket is exactly like ElRopos except I re-purposed a handle from a 5 gal bucket. I have less than $35 in it.

Not as High as what the quoter was I bet:cool: First rule of I don't want to be bothered with this nonsense Quote an outrageous price. Second rule of I don't want to be bothered with this nonsense If the job is a go. I'm back logged 6 months. Third rule, Increase in material costs due to shop backlog> that will be $195.50 :shock:

I made mine using a piece of expanded metal from a welding shop for $20, a 18" grate $10, a round disposable grill for Wally World $7-8, 5 4" bolts with washers and nuts, also a few smaller bolts washers and nuts to attach the rounded expanded metal to the grate. Wrapped the expanded metal around a propane tank at first to get the general shape, but it didn't work too well. I finally just used a large hammer to pound it into a round shape. Took a little time, but turned out pretty good. Holds a lot of lump charcoal. Burns 14-16 hrs easy with some left over. Less than what you were quoted and a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 278
Not as High as what the quoter was I bet:cool: First rule of I don't want to be bothered with this nonsense Quote an outrageous price. Second rule of I don't want to be bothered with this nonsense If the job is a go. I'm back logged 6 months. Third rule, Increase in material costs due to shop backlog> that will be $195.50 :shock:

So true... :sorry:

you can make your own with a couple of basic tools, a little bailing wire, expanded metal, a pizza pan, and some nuts bolts and washers. Coat hanger was a quick fix for a handle.

UDS012.jpg

I have a couple that look just like that (Home Depot for the expanded metal) except the ends are actually welded together.

HD and Lowes and TSC and such are too high on expanded metal! Around here its $20something for 2'x2'(might even be 1'x2' can't remember) but a half sheet 4'x4' was only $18 at metal supply.

I made mine using a piece of expanded metal from a welding shop for $20, a 18" grate $10, a round disposable grill for Wally World $7-8, 5 4" bolts with washers and nuts, also a few smaller bolts washers and nuts to attach the rounded expanded metal to the grate. Wrapped the expanded metal around a propane tank at first to get the general shape, but it didn't work too well. I finally just used a large hammer to pound it into a round shape. Took a little time, but turned out pretty good. Holds a lot of lump charcoal. Burns 14-16 hrs easy with some left over. Less than what you were quoted and a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm very happy with it.

This is basically what I did - working great for a couple years now. :thumb:

It must be a NY thing......The only store that I found expanded metal was ACE hardware and they wanted $35 for a 16" x 32" sheet...........and it was 13 gauge metal!.....UGH!! I'm either gonna buy a wire milk crate or get expanded metal on ebay.

Thanks for all of your input!

Call a welding shop and ask for a price on a piece of expanded metal 8-9" high by 73 long. Should be less than $35. Hopefully.

Made my own with a charcoal grate, a few stainless washers, nuts and bolts, expanded metal from Home Depot, and some stainless steel zip ties (found those at Menards). All in all, under $40 and the thing is a beast. I picked up some stainless steel chain, too, for a handle. I had enough expanded metal leftover to make a small charcoal basket for another smoker.

That basket I made in the above pic was the smaller ga stuff, and cost me $10 at lowes. It's just 1 sheet of 12" x 24" cut in half lengthwise. You'll notice I have the support bar mounted at the top so the basket holds its shape. FYI, I've gone 14 hours at 250-275 with that 15" x 6" high basket. I don't see a reason to ever go longer than that on any cook, so buying enough expando for a monster basket seemed like a waste to me.

I did mine like a lot of others, 2 pieces of expanded metal bolted and wire tied to the dual bottom grates 3 inches up from the bottom, at 180 degrees to each other to stop the smaller pieces from falling thru. Cheap pizza pan, 2 pieces of soft brass wire for keeping the pizza pan to the coal basket and easy ash removal, just unhook the 2 pieces of brass wire. And no the brass wire has not melted even when going over 700 deg. for pizza etc.
i13r.jpg

FYI.....I did find expanded metal at Lowe's! I bought the last 2 sheets they had (1' x 2'). I bolted they both together around a 13" grate........should be fine! :thumb:

I am trying to source some expanded metal in Brazil, and work out the translations: The quote I received is for a 1m x 2m sheet for R$90, which is about US$40. However, I can't work out how thick it is - what is the normal thickness of the sheets that everyone uses? I assume thicker is more robust and holds its shape better but is harder to work with? The quote I have is for a sheet 4,75mm thick, which sounds more like the stuff used as flooring on fire-escapes and therefore not bendable!

Back