12 lbs. brisket in 4 hours

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Yes four hours. This is the second time this has happened and no I'm no newbie at bbq. I did a 12 pounder one day and it took 13 hours the next day I did another 12 pounder and it took five. This one took just under 4 hours. Tender as can be. Butter soft. It's not my cooker or my thermometers cause I have half a dozen and they all read within 1 degree. Sometimes I just don't understand bbq. But hey I ain't complaining now I don't have to be up half the night. Go figure. By the way I had two grate temp thermos at the same temp and I tested both after this cook along with the meat thermos.

4 hours is certainly possible if you're cooking hot and fast.

very possible, I did a 19lb packer in 6 hours but your right bbq is very tricky, cook by feel not by temp.

Yup, just had a fast cook on a brisket, it ripped right along.

4 hours is certainly possible if you're cooking hot and fast.

Oh, I agree that it is quite possible. However, I am more interested if he was using the same methods and cooking temps when one takes 13 hours and another takes 4 hours. That is where I have to wonder if something else is going on.

Ok lets start here. Not my first bbq rodeo by a long shot. Here's the scoop. UDS at 225 to 247 for the whole cook. 2 temp.gauges on the cooker, have 2 Mav. digitals and and a half dozen others for the meat temp. all read just about perfect. Brought it to 197 and did a probe test. Just like butter but brought it to about 204 just to be safe. Just a rub of Todds Dirt,garlic powder,S&P and added 1/4 cup of water then foiled when it hit 167. That's the game. Like I said I ain't complaining at all I love it when they do that. Just brought some to my buddy next door and tried it myself. It was perfect. I only question this because it has happened twice and I have been through many briskets. I could see if it was hot and fast but it for sure was not. Go figure.

I'm curious. I'm sure the Maverick was clipped right next to the brisket just on the outside edge. Did you have a 12" turkey thermometer just under the grate or any way to measure the temperature in the center just under the brisket?

Yeah, I dunno either. I guess you have developed a whole new way of cooking...Low and Fast :thumb:

I call BS!
Obviously u found a way to travel in time so it only seemed like it took 4 hours. :)

I think I need another beer...you say you cooked a 12# packer low and slow in 4hours?? I'm not doubting you but something sounds odd here. How close is your rack to the coals and at what hour did you foil?

Something is definitely wrong if it takes over 4 hours to cook a Brisket! Especially on a Drum and using foil!

+1 on the coals question.... I wonder how much direct heat you got?

Ok I've cooked a ton of briskets and this has happened only twice. Believe me I know what I'm doing you can ask anyone here or check my past posts. This is not make believe. YES I cooked a 12 pound packer in less than 4 hours with thermos that are correct at the proper temp for bbq either that or water has ceased to boil at 212 degrees. I just posted this to see if it has ever happened to anyone else is all.

I did a brisket on Friday a 10 lber.

It took 4 hours at 315 degrees.

I have never done a 12 lb. brisket in 4 hours under 250 deg.

Ok I've cooked a ton of briskets and this has happened only twice. Believe me I know what I'm doing you can ask anyone here or check my past posts. This is not make believe. YES I cooked a 12 pound packer in less than 4 hours with thermos that are correct at the proper temp for bbq either that or water has ceased to boil at 212 degrees. I just posted this to see if it has ever happened to anyone else is all.

I don't think anyone is trying to call you a liar but this definitely defies accepted BBQ logic. Is there anything different regarding the two short cooks from your others? A different meat source, different weather, different prep process, different starting temp of the meat (meat allowed more time out of the fridge), different grade of meat, etc? Also, did you monitor IT during the cook and notice major differences from other cooks i.e. you were at 160 2 hours in when normally it takes 6-7 hours?

Back