THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The only difference that I noticed was there wasn't a stall other than that nothing at all was different. Anyways dinner was great and in bbq that's all that matter.

I have had the same thing happen numerous times on my UDS and know others who have also. I cooked a 15 Lb. brisket in 5 hours at 225 degrees(seemingly). What I found out was this:
I have always known that my UDS is 50 to 75 degrees hotter in the very center than it is close to the outer edges. If I put 3 pork butts on the grate, the difference in temp is negligable since the butts are evenly spaced around the grate and aren't right in the center. However, I use an iQue and if I clip the probe right in the center of the grate , I have to set it on 275 or so if I want the temps around the butts to be 225. When cooking a large brisket, I put the brisket right in the center of the grate and clip the iQue probe right next to it on an outside edge. I set the iQue on 225 with a Maverick probe right next to it. The Maverick will read within 5 degrees of the iQue setting. However, the 12" turkey fryer thermometer with the probe in the center and directly under the grate will read anywhere from 300 to 350. This happens every time I cook a large brisket. My theory is that this huge hunk of meat that almost covers the fire basket under it kind of reflects and holds the heat directly under it while the open area outside of the meat stays much cooler. I have accepted this and actually like it since my briskets are turning out perfect and in a much shorter time than most. I have checked my thermometers and they are accurate. The bottom line is that what I used to think was a low and slow cook is really a hot and fast one. I have another UDS with a heat deflector in it that I may try one day soon just to see how it does. My guess is that it will take a much longer period of time since it holds a much more even temp from center to outside.

I can understand what you mean. The only issue I have is the other time I did 2 in 2 days. Both the same weight and one took 13 and the other took 5. So if what your saying is what you think is happening why did one take 13 like most all the others I've ever done in the past. The only other thing I did notice is this brisket had over an inch of fat on it.

Have you checked the temp directly in the center and under the grate?

I can understand what you mean. The only issue I have is the other time I did 2 in 2 days. Both the same weight and one took 13 and the other took 5. So if what your saying is what you think is happening why did one take 13 like most all the others I've ever done in the past. The only other thing I did notice is this brisket had over an inch of fat on it.

No but ya have me wondering. I will. I'm leaning more towards the meat. Maybe it's like one or two shoulders I've done out of the hundreds that would not pull no matter how high or low the temp was.

I think you will be very surprised when you check the temp directly in the center and under the meat. I was. Like I said, since I discovered this I actually like it since my briskets are turning out perfect and in a short time at that. I do wrap at about 165.

Back