big green egg

jimbonelson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
just found 1 on craiglist for 350 bucks, used only 3 times, with 4 bags of lump and 4 bags of smoking wood, what should i check for before i pull the trigger

What size?

Make sure that it has all of the original pieces. Check the outside for cracks or pitting. Check all on the inside components for cracks. Check the gasket seal by placing a dollar bill on the top edge of the bottom half and close the lid. It should be snug and not pull out easily. Do this all around.

Cracks and pitting in the exterior could be an issuer. Cracks in the inside pieces are typically not an issue unless they are severe. The gasket is easy to replace. But, all of these things give you bargaining points.

If all is in good shape, and it really is a BGE, jump on it! I say if it really is an Egg because lots of ads for BGEs are really old clay Kamados, not Eggs.

If it's the BGE lump, I think one bag of that costs around $350. :heh:

I know the internal ceramic parts have a lifetime warranty - just not sure if that extends to a second owner?? I just ordered a new fire box for my XL BGE as it has a hairline crack. They are sending me a new one - no charge.

The BGE warranty is only to the original owner and is not transferable. Even so, heck of a deal if everything is in good shape.

There was one sold here in town for about that price. The people got it as a wedding gift, used it once and were not BBQ fans (forcing them to give up their Texas Residency of course). They sold it to a buddy of mine in an hour.

Brian

OK....I bought the green egg, it did not have a center plate, man took another 50 dollars off the price, can I smoke with out the center plate or is it better to have one

Congrats! You will want the plate setter for smoking.

That is a great buy you found there. Post pics.

OK....I bought the green egg, it did not have a center plate, man took another 50 dollars off the price, can I smoke with out the center plate or is it better to have one

If you mean heat deflector...you can still smoke its just easier to do with one...

Many eggers will use an elevated grate and smoke in the dome...

Congratulations on your new cooker...You'll love it...

I don't know what that is, but looking at your photos I have my doubts it's a BGE.

SI :)

I don't know what that is, but looking at your photos I have my doubts it's a BGE.

SI :)

Am I missing some pictures?

Jim, the platesetter (I'm assuming that is what you mean by center piece) is not a standard part of an Egg. It is purchased separately. You can buy one or rig up a second grate and put a pizza stone or large pizza pan on the first level grate as a heat diffuser and your meat on the second level grate.

Take a look at the Ceramic Grill Store for options.

//www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=741626972519726&set=a.209575235724905.64790.100000172895238&type=1&theater

Last edited:
Back