Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

No matter what you say, people flat love that corncake stuff. Even I do. Like Chevy's sweet corn mush. I want to hate it, but, ask for seconds:doh:

Oh, I know. In fact, I've even made the corn muffins with sugar and honey using melted butter or bacon grease for the oil. And the pic posted here looks absolutely divine, as long as I knew what to expect flavor wise. Don't think I've ever actually said I didn't LIKE corn cake, just that it wasn't corn bread. I first encountered the corn cake/bread at a Marie Callender's restaurant in Los Angeles. They said it was corn bread. You KNOW what I was expecting. And on the first bite...:shocked: :becky:

Southerners can be quite entertaining when you drag us out of the region...

When the bloggers and newspaper come, be sure and educate them on how traditional BBQ is served, and that you are bringing a taste of the South and Texas to the area. Once those folks taste good brisket, they will be hooked for life.

My Rotary Club hosted some Swedes on a Friendship Exchange last month, and I cooked BBQ for them (Brisket, ribs, and chicken - I'm a Texas boy - sauce on the side optional), and once they had a taste of the brisket, every bit of that 15lb brisket was gone in a flash. Once they wiped out the brisket, they kept coming back for the ribs. All this to point out, no matter the culture or background, good BBQ will win them over.

When the bloggers and newspaper come, be sure and educate them on how traditional BBQ is served, and that you are bringing a taste of the South and Texas to the area. Once those folks taste good brisket, they will be hooked for life.

My Rotary Club hosted some Swedes on a Friendship Exchange last month, and I cooked BBQ for them (Brisket, ribs, and chicken - I'm a Texas boy - sauce on the side optional), and once they had a taste of the brisket, every bit of that 15lb brisket was gone in a flash. Once they wiped out the brisket, they kept coming back for the ribs. All this to point out, no matter the culture or background, good BBQ will win them over.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my ribs. Unsauced ribs around here are almost a mythical creature. But when people try my ribs dry, most comment that they are amazed at how they taste and how they don't even need sauce. So, I think once people try it, they'll get hooked.

And, I may have created a monster. Tomorrow's private event is now up to 150 people. Including the mayor, chamber of commerce, three local newspapers, on top of all the other high profile people already coming.

My alarm is set for 3:30am, but I don't think I'm going to be able to catch a wink. :redface:

Wish I could be there to help. I have two people on vacation and I can't get away. I hope things go well for you. You did order enough food to feed that many people, right?

They all aren't showing up at the same time are they. That really sucks when they do that.

Wish I could be there to help. I have two people on vacation and I can't get away. I hope things go well for you. You did order enough food to feed that many people, right?

They all aren't showing up at the same time are they. That really sucks when they do that.

Oh yeah, full food order came in today. Cases upon cases of brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken. Already got something like 4 briskets, 18 racks of ribs, and tips a dozen butts, 20 pounds of sausage, and 40 chicken halves prepped and ready to go tomorrow.

Plus all the desserts were baked tonight. So after the meat goes on in the morning we just have to make a buttload of potato salad, slaw, corn bread, and beans.

The idea is to give people basically a bite or two of everything, if they want. So like one rib bone, one tip, a couple ounces of pulled pork and chicken, a little piece of sausage, and a half, maybe full slice of brisket. Plus a small taste of the sides.

And I'll be doing portion control at the pick-up window so that it doesn't become a free for all.

And I've instructed everyone to invite their guests at different times specifically so that the traffic is hopefully spread out. But I have a feeling that there will be a line waiting to bust the door down at 5.

Please let us know how it goes, I have a feeling good things are in your future!

Best of luck, I hope it is a great event.

The wifey and I will be down soon. Good luck!

Best of luck to you and your crew. If I were a betting man ... I'd double down for sure. :wink:

Best of luck, the wife and I will be there very soon

Thanks, guys. So far so good considering I've only had two hours of sleep. So far briskets and butts went on around 4:30. Won't have to do anything now until those get pulled and the ribs, chicken, and sausage go on. Crew is coming in at noon to prep all the sides so I have a few hours to get a little rest at least.

960216_10152100162264248_1197024272_n.jpg

take care brother, we are all with you!!

looks great from here!

I am getting ready to start a decent sized cook, 13 lb turkey breast, 2 slabs of ribs and a roto chicken for a party tonight

yhen watch State kick some tail I hope

Back