Myron Mixon's pork injection?

Cabin Fever

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just came across the below video by Myron Mixon's son Mike on how to prep a pork box. I couldn't care less about competition bbq, but I do enjoy learning about all things Q so I watched the entire thing like I usually end up doing. :mrgreen:

Anyway, at the end of the video he says that both his dad and himself use an injection recipe of just apple juice, sugar, salt, hot sauce and MSG. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I'm asking because I know most bbq icons out there are known for stretching the truth such as Mike Mills not putting the real recipe to his Magic Dust in Peace, Love & BBQ. I guess that's why I stay away from bbq cook books. With that said, I was just wondering if anyone out there might know if there's any truth to this injection recipe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqxw...DvjVQa1PpcFNusBWCNjTPDc9fldYEMf1mDbNG6mYURoA=

I just came across the below video by Myron Mixon's son Mike on how to prep a pork box. I couldn't care less about competition bbq, but I do enjoy learning about all things Q so I watched the entire thing like I usually end up doing. :mrgreen:

Anyway, at the end of the video he says that both his dad and himself use an injection recipe of just apple juice, sugar, salt, hot sauce and MSG. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this? I'm asking because I know most bbq icons out there are known for stretching the truth such as Mike Mills not putting the real recipe to his Magic Dust in Peace, Love & BBQ. I guess that's why I stay away from bbq cook books. With that said, I was just wondering if anyone out there might know if there's any truth to this injection recipe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqxw...DvjVQa1PpcFNusBWCNjTPDc9fldYEMf1mDbNG6mYURoA=

I'm not sure that Myron is going to be too happy that his Pork Recipes are out there out of the auspices of his High Dollar BBQ Cooking School. Very Interesting!

If it didn't come from the DarrylMast channel, I'd almost think it was some kid trying to do an impression of Myron lol. I'm sure he's a great BBQer in his own right. Thanks for the vid.

I don't have Myron's "Smokin" book in front of me, but that sounds about right based on the recipe that's published in there.

Thats not the recipe he uses at his class.

I cooked the same event as Mike Mixon did. This was a two meat contest - butts and ribs - think I beat him in one of them I'll have to look up the scores. We also won the anything butt contest on Friday night.

I cooked the same event as Mike Mixon did. This was a two meat contest - butts and ribs - think I beat him in one of them I'll have to look up the scores. We also won the anything butt contest on Friday night.

ok?:crazy:

Thats sounds about what he has in the book, not sure if he actually uses it though. I have used it many of times and its an outstanding injection recipe!

neither of these are accurate to what is in his book but they are similar.

Back