Should I Buy This: New Braunfels Horizontal Offset for $100 ?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
He's local and only wants $100 for it (OBO).

What do you think about this smoker? Is it a COS or a better one? Is it a good one to learn on? (only $100!)

15vnrb.jpg

1glp41.jpg

EDIT: Via discussion through this thread I've learned that the above NB offset is not one of very good quality. Peeps found one that was better for less money--an older NB horizontal offset. I'm interested in this one now (thanks Peeps):

b5jvrd.png

Last edited:
just remember you are going to need more wood. that pecan you bought wont last long.

But yeah, looks fine

I had a chargriller like that I got some good food off of it I am sure there are threads here of modifications that you can do Try for $75

Thanks for the replies far. How much did this smoker go for new? Does it look like thicker gauge steel than the COS from China ? I heard New Braunfels got cheap towards the end (or was it only after char griller bought them?).. just wondering if this was one of their better ones.

Anyone know the model of this smoker by looking at it? That way I can try and research it more.

I had one. Very difficult to keep the temperature down.

I've seen worse for more I can see 6 things it need to cook right besides a pitmaster from that picture.

Thanks for the replies far. How much did this smoker go for new? Does it look like thicker gauge steel than the COS from China ? I heard New Braunfels got cheap towards the end (or was it only after char griller bought them?).. just wondering if this was one of their better ones.

Anyone know the model of this smoker by looking at it? That way I can try and research it more.

from the way the lid opens ( entire lid flips open, not just a door) I would say its a cheap version

Not real sure...posting is only 2 days old.

Thanks, it's the first I've seen it.

Thanks for pointing out the lid difference. Now I know what to look for. That looks tempting for $75. Looks like it just needs some sanding and paint. Too bad OKC is a 200 mile trip.

I'm thinking I'd really love to get a bandera and do the mods. I hear it's much easier to control the fire, and then it has all that smoking space.

Thanks for pointing out the lid difference. Now I know what to look for. That looks tempting for $75. Looks like it just needs some sanding and paint. Too bad OKC is a 200 mile trip.
$50 in fuel...see if they will take a bit less since you are driving 200 miles to get it. Either way, not bad for $125.

I'm thinking I'd really love to get a bandera and do the mods. I hear it's much easier to control the fire, and then it has all that smoking space.

if its a good pit then its well worth the drive

heck I drive 60 miles per day to work and back

I have two, including one like that, with a different type shelf in front. had it a looong time. Use it for eggs, cheese and salt. I don't try yo get high temps on it, have other rigs for that. I put gasket material on it for leaks, but no other mods. I would go for it.

Plus one on the OKC. It's 1/8" steel. Regardless of what it sold for they don't make them anymore. I haven't used my NBBD much at all. Cleaned it up and it sits stoically on the patio. Offset cookers will bring a smile to any Patio Hero's face.

Last edited:
Back