Cast Iron Skillet Pizzas...PRON HEAVY!

Redhot

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First of all I need to give credit to Moose. He sent me a PM yesterday offering his expertise if I needed some help, this being my first attempt at pizza on the grill. I did not do it as he suggested because I didn't have the proper equipment (bricks :becky:). But he did give some excellent advice when I told him how I was attempting to do the cook. His advice paid off big time and my pizzas both turned out perfect...so a big huge THANKS to you Moose!:thumb:

Ok, so we had this beautiful strip steak left over from the other night and I thought hey, I wanna make a white sauce steak, onion and mushroom deep dish pizza!
beef-1.jpg

So here goes...deguerre fired up the kettle while I prepared a creamy garlic, asiago and blue cheese white sauce. And boy did he get that kettle HOT!
hot-1.jpg

ingredients-6.jpg

sauce-5.jpg

I had one can of rustic french loaf dough and one can of pizza crust dough. I made one 12" and one 10" pizza. I oiled both cast irons well with EVOO.
pan.jpg

The rustic french dough was used on the 12". Then added some sliced mozzarella and provalone cheeses. Then slightly grilled red onions and mushrooms.
sauced-1.jpg

shrooms-2.jpg

Thinly sliced strip steak was added to the 12" then topped off with a little shredded mozzarella.
steak.jpg

morecheese.jpg

The 10" was built the same but bacon was used instead of steak. Then they went on the kettle one at a time. The coals were moved to the edge of the kettle so none were in the middle for a more even cook (Moose's advice). I removed them as soon as the crust was done but did have to throw them under the broiler for a minute to brown the top slightly.
kettlebaked.jpg

kettlebaked2.jpg

Oh man these turned out so good! I loved the white sauce with steak, onions and mushrooms...y'all gotta try one!
closeup-3.jpg

outtapan1.jpg

^^^^I took it out of the skillet to slice.
And below...the bacon pizza was pretty darn tasty too! I mean come on, isn't everything better with bacon?!
pie3.jpg

pie2.jpg

And plated...
pizzapie4.jpg

pizzapie1.jpg

pizzapie3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

It all looks fantastic - but that second to last pic is a classic! Pizza is high on the list for me - hadn't thought about doing it in a CI skillet - now that I've seen this I'll get on the case 'cause I've been stalling on figuring out what stone & all that - cast iron? I got plenty of that ready to go. :thumb:

Thanks for posting! :clap2:

Great looking pizza! O man a slice of that with my favorite beverage! I am going to be totally worthless at work today because of this! :laugh:

Holy crap! I just drooled on my shirt a little. I had never though of doing deep dish in a cast iron skillet before either. Looks like it sure beats Pizza Hut! Thanks for the Pron!

Wow! Ya'll are killing me. I have yet to try pizza on a grill I guess because I keep spending my money on other items instead of a stone. I see you left the Death Dust out. :redface:

Which was better the french loaf dough or the pizza dough? I really don't like the pizza dough from a can but an alternative would be great. Pizzas look fantastic!

Wow! Ya'll are killing me. I have yet to try pizza on a grill I guess because I keep spending my money on other items instead of a stone. I see you left the Death Dust out. :redface:

Yep, saving it for all the chicken wings we're doing this weekend. But of course I did give my slices a healthy sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes!

I'll take a couple slices of each please!

There's hardly any left :icon_blush:.

Back