Ideas from the pros (that means all of you guys)

Dadeo719

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picking this bad boy up tomorrow. So need your opinion. Should I go vertical or horizontal. What's the pros and cons of each? I have thought with vertical maybe sticking a roto in it. Anyone did that. Would the fire box be bought the same? Different trailer setups. Pretty much if I could get you guys in the garage what would you do. Then after a few beers what should have we done...

Last edited:
It would be cool to see one of those vertical. You might need a ladder to get the food on the top shelf though.

lots of variations can be done. the real question is "What do you want to cook with it?". IE-are we talking comps? whole pigs? parties? catering? roadside BBQ shack?...need more info.

Ideas

Here is a pic of my first one just to give you a idea. I bought this from a guy that made them in carolina. Trailer is from Harbor Freight... like $250. Hope the pic comes out right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 215
I knew a guy that had a vertical with a door on the end. He had a grate that slid in and out and he usually cooked hogs. He had an insulated top on it too, just squared off with a bunch of insulation.
I've seen verticals with cabinet type doors in the side that were nice too. You could still insulate the top and you wouldn't have to open the giant lid. Paul Kirk had one of these years ago and Dave Klose later made him a custom version pictured here.

http://www.bbqpits.com/kirk_pit copy.jpg

mrbill lots of variations can be done. the real question is "What do you want to cook with it?". IE-are we talking comps? whole pigs? parties? catering? roadside BBQ shack?...need more info.

Ok here's some more info. We are just starting out. Did out first comp about a month ago. Just had my little Kingsford and a Weber kettle. So obviously seeing some other guys setup we were hooked. We were looking at a harbor freight trailer also to put it on. We have a friend that does welding and fab work so that is a plus for us. Maybe some vending at the local farmers market or county fairs and festivals. Just enough to pay for our "hobby" So no whole hogs, mostly butts, briskets, ribs, whole chickens probably. And what ever else random meat is on sale at the time LOL.

sliding_billyDo you have dims on that thing?

At the risk of confirming the Village Idiot thing....Ummm what our those

The one thing about verticals I don't like is they make a mess if you slide out racks to tend to meat, but I am keeping mine and adding a lang to go with it.I just take carboard & put on the ground to minimze the mess.

mrbill lots of variations can be done. the real question is "What do you want to cook with it?". IE-are we talking comps? whole pigs? parties? catering? roadside BBQ shack?...need more info.

Ok here's some more info. We are just starting out. Did out first comp about a month ago. Just had my little Kingsford and a Weber kettle. So obviously seeing some other guys setup we were hooked. We were looking at a harbor freight trailer also to put it on. We have a friend that does welding and fab work so that is a plus for us. Maybe some vending at the local farmers market or county fairs and festivals. Just enough to pay for our "hobby" So no whole hogs, mostly butts, briskets, ribs, whole chickens probably. And what ever else random meat is on sale at the time LOL.

sliding_billyDo you have dims on that thing?

At the risk of confirming the Village Idiot thing....Ummm what our those

Sorry, dimensions.

Before all the finishing touches but Here is one of mine A pile of scrap metal arranged by color.......lol
ju3eqega.jpg
ry3a4y5u.jpg
and a few of the rotisserie in action that's a 185* pig this pulley set up goes around 1.5 rpm

Brother that is one sweet rig. Almost exactly what I have pictured in my head. You wouldn't happen to have a build thread would ya? :eusa_clap

very cool. what did you use for the motor? I am thinking of a three rack system with maybe the middle or top rack to be interchanged for the roto. you think that would be possible?

I think it would be really cool as a vertical, but it would be really tall (if you use the upper space for hangers and not a rack, that could be mitigated). I think it lays out better (easier) like the ones pictured as a horizontal.

Back