Anyone heard about The Weber 22.5" Compact Kettle

rolf

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just visited the Australian Weber site and found that they offer a "compact" i.e. less high 22.5" one-touch. Has this one ever been available elsewhere in the world?

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/compactkettle_3.htm

Wouldnt the coals be too close to the grid? What do you think about the flat design?

They also got a "gas kit" for them? Weird people them OZ s...
http://www.weberbbq.com.au/gaskit_3.htm
category_kettle.jpg

87024.jpg

Interesting? Would love to see more about the gas kit and how it works.

Sorry, they came up with it! Dont shoot the messenger.

its been talked about before. they just have differant requirements. but yea, they are weird folk being upside down and all !

I think Grail was thinking I would go to the penalty box.

I know, I know it's just not right but in our house with two young boys sometimes gas may be a bit better than shoving something in the oven.
My thought was that if I could get a gas kit then I could likely get a free or almost free kettle off CL to put it on and I'd have my gasser.

Keep Kettel and UDS for the custom cooks.

BBq-grail, just kidding, I find it fascinating or I wouldnt have posted it.
Any thoughts about the "flat" one-touch? Would it work as well as a regular?

For grilling flat stuff I suppose it would be fine. I do know that since it's a Weber I want one.

I think that someone in the marketing department at Weber thought it might be prudent to copy (edit: imitate would have been a better choice of word here) the "Aussie" grills that are making headway here in the US. Short distance between heat source and food grate.

Last edited:
And the prices of australian weber charcoal kettles are steep!

When the most well known name in backyard cooking introduces a new model, you can bet there was a lot of thought behind the decision. I don't know much about the methods of Australian grilling and barbecue, but it's neat they have designed a cooker for another culture instead of just saying "here's what we cook on in the good 'ol USA".

Take a look at The Coca-Cola Company. They do the same thing with different types and brands of drinks (and syrups) around the world.

Someone already itroduced a 26.5" compact to the US. :eek:
Well folks it seems my new Weber 26.5" kettle took a beating. One of our friends kids was running around the old Bandera and knocked it over. Wouldn't you know the new 26.5" kettle that should've been in the garage was just the perfect distance away. The vertical box of the Bandera fell directly on the back end and crushed the base of the kettle. The rear legs buckled up and in and it looks like its doing a curtsey. I haven't really looked to closely as it is painful and would rather not consider inflicting bodily harm on this kid or blow a heart attack over screaming about a piece of steel. So I will assess the damage tomorrow and see what, if anything, weber is willing to help me with.

I'm just bummed and needed to vent. Any of you kettle crazy experts have any suggestions?

interesting ad copy - they call it the *roasting* wonder, not grilling. must be that upside down thing again

category_kettle.jpg

I tested one for a Dutch BBQ webshop, it's the cheapest 22,5" BBQ weber sells here and is pretty good value for money. The airvents could have been a little easier to reach, but aside from that it worked ok! Not as sturdy as the One Touch models, but for somebody who bbq's once or twice a year an affordable weber to show off to the guests!

Not as sturdy as one-touch, cant really say OTS feel too sturdy. Is the performer Kettle shell sturdier than Silver or Gold? Thanks for the info. I really think they look slicker.

Last edited:
Back